Sign in to follow this  
MrBenevolent

Help me choose my birthday add-on!

So!

My birthday is coming up and my lovely wife is chasing for gift ideas.

I am almost 100% sure I would like something to expand my flight sim (FSX only) experience - but can't quite decide what.

So far I have narrowed it down to the following options:

1) Track IR. Ever since I heard of it I have been mulling over making a purchase. It seems to be a real "marmite" product - you either love it or hate it! I do already have EZCA, so...

2) A proper yoke. Currently using a Logitech 3D which is a great stick, but lacks the "certain something" I imagine a proper yoke offers.

3) Complete Horizon VFR UK scenery + Airports. Earth Simulations are doing a pretty good bundle deal for this. I always liked the idea of flying over photoreal representations of a land I know very well...but IME the quality and overal experience offered by Photoreal scenery varies wildly! As an ORBX kind of a guy, I am wondering whether to just hold out for their UK releases...

4) Something else?

Any thoughts, comments or input gratefully received as always.

Cheers!

I'd say option 1... TrackIR does bring a bit more immersion to your flying. I recently purchased it for myself and I do enjoy it. Too bad its not a bit cheaper...

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

I vote for the Redhead!

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Do u have the NGX? Another suggestion is Shade. Its only like 12 bucks. I just purchased it and am very happy with it.

Matt Wilson

hhhmmmm that's tough. I don't have trackIr but it has always interested me. A yoke will make a big difference for you in terms of realism. Along with rudder pedals. And be sure to get a throttle quadrant.

Lee

But keep your joystick handy for the planes with no yoke :)

Heh - thanks for the input folks.

1) I already have both the NGX and Shade - thanks though!

2) I fear that adding pedals and throttles to the yoke would be budget busting at this stage - though I guess there is always Christmas!

3) Track IR is looking like it is nosing ahead! For those that have it, I presume its footprint is pretty negligible in terms of impacting performance?

Track IR for sure...

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

I vote a yoke and pedals! But I understand the budget problem... I suggest you think about PFC.

I suggest you think about PFC.

Dammit Word Not Allowed!

I didn't even know PFC existed until your post...

Now there is a whole new level of Flight Sim stuff I can't justify spending money on for me to lust after.

I am telling the wife that this is all your fault...

:LMAO:

Iain,

If you like, you can read my review of the yoke (sig-link). Unfortunately, the review was broken and completely without formatting, apparently lost in that AVSIM purge (thanks guys, cost me 15min of my life to fix it Rolling%20Eyes.gif).

Anyway, fixed the review, all is OK again now.

For me, this yoke is the one thing I didn't know I was missing until I got it. It's another world. I had Saitek... Don't let anyone tell you any different (except maybe the ones who owned BOTH).

Tell your wife, I'll take it up with her Just%20Kidding.gif

Track IR and the proclip can be just as expensive as a yoke and throttle quad.

I have owned TrackIR for about 3 months now, and only as recently as last week have I started using it and thats in Rise of Flight.

The proclip and the wire just seems to get in the way, but aftermoving to a wireless headset, a single wire for the proclip has become very bareable.

Jack Cannon

I vote for the TrackIR. I can't believe, that there once was a time when I could happily play simulators without it. Today, I think it is a necessity. It is just not about immersion, but TrackIR infact makes flying a lot easier when you can instantly and freely turn your head between instruments and looking outside without pushing any buttons or hats. TrackIR is even more important with combat sims than it is with relatively slow paced FSX where you don't need to observe battle space around you constantly..

I vote for the TrackIR. I can't believe, that there once was a time when I could happily play simulators without it

Hello

I agree, I would stop using FSX if I could not use my TrackIR, I am now on my third model.

TrackIR and my Goflight stuff means I don't have to mess with the mouse or keyboard from take off to landing.

IMO, goflight and tir is a great combo.

But if you have no hardware, you still have to push buttons with a mouse... In which case using a middle mouse button to move, or a yoke button, or a keyboard button is no biggie.

Besides, I never really liked the sensitivity or lack of it in tir. I was thinking of getting version 5, I still have version 3 somewhere in the cellar. And I would have to permanently wear my headset...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk