Sign in to follow this  
Anthony West

Major Computer Upgrade - Need Suggestions

Well, I'm ready to upgrade my computer and operating system. I'm sick of FSX lag with only medium high settings in semi remote areas lol.

I'm looking to use my current hard drive (wipe it clean, though), PSU (at 1040 watts it should be enough), case, and RAM (8gb of DDR3).

So, basically, I need a new motherboard, video card(s), processor, and operating system on a budget of $1225.00

Suggestions?

PS: I have no brand preferences, but I'm pretty set on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Current inside - from the top of the video card up.

554416_3858635101822_1156729612_33674698_770402885_n.jpg

And how well will FSX run with that?

The parts that I recommended above are the fastest components available on the market at the moment. It will run FSX butter smooth with tons of addons.

The parts that I recommended above are the fastest components available on the market at the moment. It will run FSX butter smooth with tons of addons.

Sweet, ordering soon

Didn't have enough for the case, but I think I'll modify my current for better cooling. I'm pretty decent at thermodynamics as it is.

If funds allow I suggest a dedicated fsx hard drive.

Matt Wilson

The whole machine is dedicated to FSX... And Facebook. Haha

And Avsim!

Don't forget a decent cooler there! You have to overclock so a Noctua NHD14 or Corsair H100 or so is a requirement.

For more understanding on components, read my hardware guide in the sig.

Noctua NHD14

Way WAY too large for most cases. I would strongly recommend the H100.

Way WAY too large for most cases. I would strongly recommend the H100.

Nonsense. Fits in many midtower cases.

It is big though, but effective.

H100 is a fancy solution :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nonsense. Fits in many midtower cases.

It is big though, but effective.

H100 is a fancy solution :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ND14 just honestly looks absurd to me. For the most part, the H100 beats it out and they are nearly the same price. Also, aesthetically speaking, the H100 looks much more slick than the bulky ND14.

I'd personally go H80/Antec 620 over the H100 or the DH14

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181016&Tpk=corsair%20h80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209049

OP - make sure the top of your case has a fan or is open to allow for the H100 top mounted...

Also if you prefer an air cooler the Hyper 212 evo is an excellent value cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'd personally go H80

I had a feeling someone would bring this up. - I built a PC for a friend 6 months ago and he bought the H80.

The main issue that I have with the H80 is the 'fatness'. It is so incredibly thick with push pull on that it nearly covers the CPU socket. it also gets in the way of the side panel fan.

I like the H100 much better due to the sleekness of the rad and the fact that it is hidden away at the top of your case where you can't see it.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

Notice how the whole rad assembly and fans are hardly visible.

29awidj.jpg

THe H80 is large no doubt... but I wanted to reiterate to the OP that a top mounted fan/top ventilation is important for the H100 if he does go that way. I think most cases have those nowadays anyway.

In addition the above I presume his case would need a bottom mounted PSU?

I really love my H60 but I've read the 80 is better.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |