Sign in to follow this  
agent00729

Making the upgrade from FSX to FS9

Hi Everyone!

I am really considering making a switch from fsx to fs2004. I bought an alienware computer thinking that I would be able run fsx maxed out, but I was very wrong. However, I have several concerns with making the upgrade that I must ask about:

1) Am I correct in assuming that I will be able to run fs2004 with the addons Ground Environment Pro, FS Global 2010, My world 2005, REX fs2004,Acticve Sky Evolution, Fsdreamteam Ohare, PMDG 747, FS2CREW, Pro Flight Emulator, and a traffic program to make fs2004 look better than fsx default?

2) Will I be able to run the above addons together with sufficient fps (at least 25)? Am I correct in assuminfg that I still will get better performance than fsx? I dont want to waste my money again on addons only to see I get 12 fps in a pmdg at an fsdreamteam airport.

3) What order should I install the above addons?

4) What is the best traffic program for fs9? I really want to be able to go to Newark Liberty in the sim and be able to see the new United Airlines after the merger with continental.

I know this is a lot of questions but I would really appreciate if you took the time to answer them for me and clear things up as I prepare to switch to fs9. Thank you so much for all your help!

i went from fsx to fs9 and love it, it's so fast and smooth 70-200fps on my i7 system. i haven't touched fsx in 2 months. With fsx i got around 20-40fps all the time in dx9 but i'm in love with fs9 now and with alot of addons, fs9 looks like fsx.

the only thing FS9 doesnt have is the PMDG NGX.. i loved FS9 but with my Avarage system FSX is okey..

Hi Everyone!

I am really considering making a switch from fsx to fs2004. I bought an alienware computer thinking that I would be able run fsx maxed out, but I was very wrong. However, I have several concerns with making the upgrade that I must ask about:

1) Am I correct in assuming that I will be able to run fs2004 with the addons Ground Environment Pro, FS Global 2010, My world 2005, REX fs2004,Acticve Sky Evolution, Fsdreamteam Ohare, PMDG 747, FS2CREW, Pro Flight Emulator, and a traffic program to make fs2004 look better than fsx default?

2) Will I be able to run the above addons together with sufficient fps (at least 25)? Am I correct in assuminfg that I still will get better performance than fsx? I dont want to waste my money again on addons only to see I get 12 fps in a pmdg at an fsdreamteam airport.

3) What order should I install the above addons?

4) What is the best traffic program for fs9? I really want to be able to go to Newark Liberty in the sim and be able to see the new United Airlines after the merger with continental.

I know this is a lot of questions but I would really appreciate if you took the time to answer them for me and clear things up as I prepare to switch to fs9. Thank you so much for all your help!

Could you list your hardwares here? (CPU+RAM+VGA....) That will decide your graphic and FPS.

The best traffic program for Fs9 is actually freeware. AIG! (Alpha-India Group). You have to add the flightplans and aircrafts manually (with the help from very powerful software - AI Flight Planner). There is one United Winter 2011 which probably the latest out there (includes United-Continental merger)

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

the only thing FS9 doesnt have is the PMDG NGX.. i loved FS9 but with my Avarage system FSX is okey..

it has the ifly 737ng which looks like the ngx in fsx and of course the awesome PMDG MD-11 and 747, Plus Captain Sim 757 and Level D 767 which all look like the fsx version. Trust me, watch some videos on youtube and you won't be able to tell the difference between fsx or fs9.

FS9 still rocks of course and is more than enough for many of us.

Great performance, thousands of sceneries, wonderful aircraft and tools, stability, etc.

However...

to make fs2004 look better than fsx default?

Please don't expect too much in this respect. Ground textures resolution in FSX is much higher than is FS9.

FSX ground also has less tendency to blurr. In my view the look of the environment is the only important aspect where FSX beats FS9.

So I am afraid even with the best texture/vector/landclass addons (GePro, UT, REX, Zinertek, etc), FS9 ground will no way look like FSX.

it has the ifly 737ng which looks like the ngx in fsx and of course the awesome PMDG MD-11 and 747, Plus Captain Sim 757 and Level D 767 which all look like the fsx version. Trust me, watch some videos on youtube and you won't be able to tell the difference between fsx or fs9.

It has Airsimmer :D

*peace

It has Airsimmer :D

*peace

omg i completely forgot about Airsimmer, lol downloading it now for $39.99 it looks amazing!

It has Airsimmer

So true! pilot2.gif

To get the best traffic you need to to some work yourself.

If you go the wholely freeware route you will need to do a lot of ork, or you could start with Ultimate Traffic and edit from there.

I still use UT classic version for my traffic, but it bears no relation to how it came out of the box. I have replaced all (I mean all) the a/c over the years with models from Aardvark;Evolve;AIM;AIG;OSP;TFS plus the new arrivals UTT. You can find all the models and textures on the two main FSIM sites or their own websites , links at least.

The advantage i like with sticking with UT is that when I create a new airline (either brand new or to replace BAW;UAL or whoever when a new schedule is released, I can use the create timetable function.

Peter

Peter Schluter

Thank you all so much for replying to this topic. My specs are here:

Alienware M17x

Intel Core i7 940X 2.13 Ghz (3.33 Ghz turbo)

6 GB RAM DDR3

ATI radeon 5870

For my hardrive I was thinking of using a dedicated fs9 1TB eSATA Iomega professional external harddrive.

Will this system be capable of running the addons Ground Environment Pro, FS Global 2010, My world 2005, REX fs2004,Acticve Sky Evolution, Fsdreamteam Ohare, PMDG 747, FS2CREW, Pro Flight Emulator, full traffic, and TSS sounds together to achieve at least 25 fps?

Will this system be capable of running the addons Ground Environment Pro, FS Global 2010, My world 2005, REX fs2004,Acticve Sky Evolution, Fsdreamteam Ohare, PMDG 747, FS2CREW, Pro Flight Emulator, full traffic, and TSS sounds together to achieve at least 25 fps?

Your system specs look more than adequate to run FS9 along with the addons you listed. It should run in excess of 30fps.

Mobo/CPU: MSI Z490-A PRO - Intel Core i7-11700K (8 cores - 16 Threads) @5Ghz (CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S)

GPU: SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5600XT 6Gb GDDR6

RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 3200Mhz CL16

Storage: Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 500Gb & addlink 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0 M.2

PSU: EVGA 750BQ 80+ Bronze 750W

Please don't expect too much in this respect. Ground textures resolution in FSX is much higher than is FS9.

FSX ground also has less tendency to blurr. In my view the look of the environment is the only important aspect where FSX beats FS9.

So I am afraid even with the best texture/vector/landclass addons (GePro, UT, REX, Zinertek, etc), FS9 ground will no way look like FSX.

Thats true, you can make FS9 look like FSX while one the ground at addon airport. You can make the sky and clouds look the same, but what you cant make look as good as FSX is the ground tiles due to the higher res capability of FSX and of course the water in FSX looks much better. If I could get FSX resolution ground textures into FS9 I would go back and get the FSX water in there as well.

Thank you all so much for replying to this topic. My specs are here:

Alienware M17x

Intel Core i7 940X 2.13 Ghz (3.33 Ghz turbo)

6 GB RAM DDR3

ATI radeon 5870

No wonder you cant run FSX. When you, first mentioned Alienware I thought you probably had some monster running at 4.0ghz or faster. For FSX, its just about manditory to be running at 4.0ghz or faster to get the performance you desire with those addons and 2.13 wont cut it.

Btw, WOAI has great freeware AI and I am surprised no one mentioned it, but for the United merger you would need to update the paints manually.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

No wonder you cant run FSX. When you, first mentioned Alienware I thought you probably had some monster running at 4.0ghz or faster. For FSX, its just about manditory to be running at 4.0ghz or faster to get the performance you desire with those addons and 2.13 wont cut it.

Will this be Ok for fs9 in your opinion though?

Btw, WOAI has great freeware AI and I am surprised no one mentioned it, but for the United merger you would need to update the paints manually.

How do I update the paints manually?

Will this be Ok for fs9 in your opinion though?

How do I update the paints manually?

Yeah it will be ok, but probably not great flying into busy hubs like KJFK with loads of AI. Of course it will perform better than FSX would in the same situation. FS9 still benefits from a higher clock speed as well but you will get away with more from that rig using FS 9 than you would with FSX.

As far as the paints you will just need to decompile the flight plans, replace the paints for the new merger, then reassign those paints in the flight plans ans recompile.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator