Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

How much RAM for FSX on Win7 x64 in a Sandy Bridge setup?

I'm about to build a new Sandy Bridge based FSX rig and when it comes to RAM I'm not quite sure how much RAM FSX actually will make use of?

Up until now I've been running with 6 GB and never had any memory related problems so with this new rig I was thinking I'll go with 8 GB (2 x 4)RAM but considering how "cheap" RAM is these days I figured maybe I shouldn't hold back but instead get 16 GB (4 x 4).

What do you guys say?

Richard Åsberg

Up until now I've been running with 6 GB and never had any memory related problems so with this new rig I was thinking I'll go with 8 GB (2 x 4)RAM but considering how "cheap" RAM is these days I figured maybe I shouldn't hold back but instead get 16 GB (4 x 4).

Definitely go for 8GB of RAM.

4GB might no be enough if running multiple programms. 6GB is the sweet spot but that's triple channel (3 sticks) and I'm not sure if that will work fine on the Sanby Bridge dual channel systems. So as Ben said, go for 8GB. I recommend 2133 CL9, which will give you maybe 1-2 fps more and slightly less microstuttering. However, due to Srdan's VSync tweak, microstutters are no big problem anymore unless you get under 30 fps.

Thanks for your input guys, then I'll stick with the 8GB 2133 CL9 RAM I already got.

Richard Åsberg

8GB 2133 CL9 RAM I already got.

Great choice! :smile:

Guest firehawk44

Thanks for your input guys, then I'll stick with the 8GB 2133 CL9 RAM I already got.

Thought I would add a quote from NickN's article on Setting Up FSX and Tuning It: "FSX is a 32bit application and as such even when run in a 64bit operating system memory amounts greater than 4GB will be of little use to FSX directly, however, when applied with a 64bit OS and i7 FSX SP2 (or RTM/SP1 with edited fsx.exe files) will be allowed access to a full 4GB with other processes and applications running along side having access to more (over and above). Therefore 6GB (3x2GB) i7 systems as addons and aircraft become more complicated will benefit FSX on a 64bit OS. If you switch to i7 you are far better off on 3x2GB than 3x1GB in system memory."

Best regards,

Jim

Great choice! :smile:

Yeah, at least they should be able to keep up with the rest of the system I hope with no sweat :wink:

Thought I would add a quote from NickN's article on Setting Up FSX and Tuning It

Thanks Jim!

I'm very familiar from the past with NickN's guide for setting up and tuning FSX and I find it great, I think I even have a hard copy of it laying around somewhere and what you quoted from the guide here confirms I'm perfectly fine with 8 GB and wouldn't need any more memory as far as FSX goes.

Richard Åsberg