Sign in to follow this  
Jacoba

Which RealityXP GPS to buy?

The 530 or the 430?

Which one fits into more add on planes?

I'm a bit of a payware snob, so all I fly are payware planes presently.

Ones I own that I feel are candidates for the RXP.

Eaglesoft Citation II (530)

Carenado C90B (530 or 430?)

Digital Aviation Cheyenne (430)

I'm also looking to add the RealAir Beech Duke (both piston and turboprop)

So which unit would be the more useful in your opinions, I know both is probably the best way to go... but for now which one to get?

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

It really is going to depend on the plane. The Dukes will use both, the C90 only the 430 directly, though some have managed to replace the Avidyne with the 530. Don't have the Citation or Cheyenne, so I can't say with them.

They're basically the same unit, with the 530 having the larger display and a few additional display/control related features. If you can fit the 530 and can only buy one, that's what I'd get as the larger display makes the unit far easier to read/use. The 430 probably fits in more planes, however, with its smaller size.

Scott

430 for versatility; 530 for specific applications; and if you are serious about it, buy both AND the unlimited pack upgrade.

....If i had to get one only, it would probably have been the 430. But the money I have spent on the RXP garmins is still some of the best I have put out for ANY addon for FSX.

430 for versatility; 530 for specific applications; and if you are serious about it, buy both AND the unlimited pack upgrade.

What exactly is this?

Is it the WAAS unlimited expansion pack?

WOW... both units @ $49.99 and the expansion pack @ $99.99... $200.00 for FSX add on's, man this hobby is getting crazy!

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

The unlimited pack allows you to crossfill flightplans between units, and to use multiple instances of each - e.g. two 430s or two 530s in a single panel.

I agree with the versatility of the 430, but I can tell you from personal experience that if you buy the 430, you'll be getting the 530 soon after. I don't think I made it two weeks. Yes, the $100 for the two of them is a lot, but as I've mentioned before, when amortized over all the airplanes I use them in and given the value I've gotten from them I consider them money VERY well spent.

The unlimited pack? I still haven't talked myself into that being worth $100 to me.

Scott

I agree that buying one will lead to buying the other, so skip that part and just buy both...

Would be nice if RXP offered some type of 530/430 package deal and even nicer if they offered a 530/430/Expansion pack deal.

RXP are free to charge whatever they want of course, but why are the 530 and 430 $49 each?

You should at least get a discount on one if you buy the other, they both use the same trainer and its not like you are purchasing a "physical" unit. One just has a bigger screen!

I have used the RXP units in the past when Dreamfleet used to provide a locked version in several of their aircraft, and yes, they are great but, and I stress that this is my own opinion, RXP will not get me to purchase at those prices. I would need the 530 and 430 to be universal across my addons and at $100 it's pushing it too far. Let's not even mention the crazy unlimited pack.....

Add into the fact that the support forum is "unofficial" with fairly regular complaints about support tickets not being answered and that is just about the icing on the cake for me.

On the other hand, if I was using one of these units in real life then the cost of the RXP version as a trainer would probably be money very well spent.

Value is in the eye of the beholder of course and each must make their own determination.......

My guess is the costs are high because of the licensing from Garmin.

As far as I know, and based on comments in the Flight 1forum, I don't believe there is any licensing from Garmin.

The RXP unit hooks into the freely available Garmin trainer

Well I'm sure some agreement exists between Garmin and RXP because they offer them as educational tools to flight schools etc... their market goes beyond the FS world.

Yes, the RXP units utilize the Garmin Trainer that Garmin chose to make freely available to aid in famialirity with their units. The price of the RXP units, especially when ported in to FSX and ported in such a way as to allow for two units that can crosstalk (the trainer on its own doesn't do this!) is for the all the R & D it took to get them there. Were it easy to do I am sure there would be some competition... there isn't!

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Oh WOW, check this out!

Air Display on iPad 2 with RealityXP GNS 530 WAAS

A quote from a dev at F1 in June 2011: (available for anyone to read in the forum)

"You are talking apples and oranges.

RXP isn't licensing any data. He is hacking the Garmin trainer and making it work with FSX.

The data is embedded in the trainer and Garmin pays the licensing fee for that data to Jeppesen.  A very rare situation and one that I am surprised has lasted this long."

I would need the 530 and 430 to be universal across my addons and at $100 it's pushing it too far.

Value is, of course, in the eye of the buyer, but I don't understand this comment, Glenn. The 430 and 530 ARE universal across my addins. That's one of the reasons I find the investment to be worth what I've paid.

YMMV, but this is one of the FSX addins that I wouldn't want to live without.

Scott

Were it easy to do I am sure there would be some competition... there isn't!

Indeed. If someone can provide more for less, I'd certainly look at it. So far, no one has.

Scott

Yeah, sorry, did not word that well.

What I meant was that I would need to buy both the 430 and 530 as the addons I have use a combination of the two.

Buying just one would not give me the ability to use an RXP unit in each addon.