Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Anyone who fly the Leonardo Maddog Pro in FSX

I do it in both FS9 and FSX and I have issues in FSX that I don't see in FS9. Is that normal? In FSX I have problems with the plane starting to move right after loading the plane even at idle power and brakes has no effect it seems. That brake problem can I also experience when taxing. Can't stop the planes since the brakes seem to have no effect. The plane actually stops after a while. Another thing I have noticed is that in FS9 I can have sideviews and seing the plane in 2D cockpit even if I have disabled the VC. This is not the case in FSX.

I don't have any issues with the brakes or the VC on the Leonardo MD80, that's the 'pro' version by the way, not the standard one, although I shouldn't imagine that makes any difference. Still one of the best airliners you can get for FSX in my opinion, especially where the flight modeling and depth of systems is concerned. If it wasn't for the slightly older-looking graphics, which I can actually live with, I'd say it was better than the PMDG FSX 737 NG.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Even at idle power and brakes has no effect it seems. That brake problem can I also experience when taxing. Can't stop the planes since the brakes seem to have no effect. The plane actually stops after a while.

Volume 1, Chapter 12, page 1.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

If it wasn't for the slightly older-looking graphics, which I can actually live with, I'd say it was better than the PMDG FSX 737 NG.

I agree with that 100%. The system depth and flight modeling are top notch-- and that's saying along because the 737 NGX is a helluva plane, Shame that the developers haven't brought it up to current graphical standards.

Volume 1, Chapter 12, page 1.

I can't see this to be relevant to my problem. Something else is going on. If I reset the flight I end up with a cold and dark plane standing still.

It seem more like the plane and situation is set incorrectly when first loaded.

I don't have any issues with the brakes or the VC on the Leonardo MD80, that's the 'pro' version by the way, not the standard one, although I shouldn't imagine that makes any difference. Still one of the best airliners you can get for FSX in my opinion, especially where the flight modeling and depth of systems is concerned. If it wasn't for the slightly older-looking graphics, which I can actually live with, I'd say it was better than the PMDG FSX 737 NG.

Al

In what way would it be better than PMDG 737NGX. What depth of systems and modeling does the Maddog have that 737NGX lacks?

For starters it's shared cockpit compatible

I should also add working weather radar and full 2D panels

Jay

In what way would it be better than PMDG 737NGX. What depth of systems and modeling does the Maddog have that 737NGX lacks?

Regardless of systems simulation, it has a truly excellent flight model, in my opinion it is among the best of airliners for FS, it's a bit hard to quantify why I think that, and I know a lot of it is subjective, but I would say it really feels right, especially the aileron effectiveness through the speed range. If you have the Wilco PIC 737 Classic, that is another which seems to have that 'feel right' aspect too, the PMDG 747 is yet another one which also seems to have that little bit of a magic touch in that regard.

Of course the Leo MD-80 also has a working radar, terrain displays, it's own very detailed flight planner and loadsheet stuff, it can do networked shared cockpit operations, the circuit breakers on the rear overhead actually work, and you can get hot starts.

The PMDG FSX NG is very good indeed of course, but those are a few things the Mad Dog has which are not present on the NG (not the flight model by the way, that's great on the PMDG NG). In short, anyone who likes detailed simulations of aircraft of the kind PMDG and A2A produce, can certainly apreciate what the Leo MD-80 brings to the table.

Don't get me wrong here, I wanted to kiss the ground the PMDG staff walked upon when I heard they were doing an NG for FSX, since the 737 is by far my favourite jet airliner, and PMDG did not let me down in how they went about it, but it seems to me that those who appreciate PMDG's efforts would be missing out if they passed the Leo MD-80 by, as it is every bit as good as their NG in spite of its older graphics.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Well said. The Leonardo is amazing in depth, and everyone who likes PMDG's work will appreciate this. It's a must-have for system junkies. or what some call "hardcore simmers" (which strikes me as a funny way of describing us, as this segment of flightsimmers tend to be a bit geeky by nature, lol ).

How does the widescreen panel look in the Pro version? I just reinstalled 2008 and the aspect ratio of the gauges is way off. I guess now that I have a 32 inch monitor it really shows.

I can upgrade to the 2010 Pro for about $25. But if the panel doesn't look much better it really isn't worth it for me. I do love the systems modeling and it's a fun plane to fly. Just wondering whether it's worth it to upgrade to Pro.

Thanks.

PS - a screenshot of the widescreen panel would be great :)

Eddie
KABQ

I run the Maddog with three 23" LCD monitors, and their are no gaps. In fact, she looks terrific even with the bit dated graphics. Maddog 2010 Professional Screen shot attached of the virtual cockpit (eye point shifted to center of the flight deck (essentially CM3).

Maddog%20Med.jpg

If anyone is interested, we're doing numerous shared cockpit flights on VATSIM each week. Amazing how many people don't know that can be done, or haven't been able to get it to work. We don't suffer any issues to speak of, even on three hour flights (our longest yet. We have a six hour shared cockpit flight on VATSIM flight in the works (landing in the middle of the flight of course).without resetting/restarting to see if things hold up that long. PM me, or visit the OVPA group page here on AVSIM for more information.

By the way, we're currently working on an upgrade to the graphics for the CDU panel and circuit breaker buttons (the text), which will be a terrific upgrade especially for those running larger monitors.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I agree. I have no problems with the Maddog and it is an outstanding simulation, and remains so despite all of the advances available to new releases. It has immersive system depth and plenty of manuals and videos to teach you how to use them.

A great sim for sure, but the VC is just too poor for use in my opinion.

- Aaron