Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Shall I get the GTX 680 or not?

I need the GTX 680 for other (racing) games as I said. But I only have one question to the people with the GTX 680, which is: do you experience ANY problems in FSX (or other games)? Like stuttering, OOMs, crashes, freezes, CTDs?

But I only have one question to the people with the GTX 680, which is: do you experience ANY problems in FSX (or other games)? Like stuttering, OOMs, crashes, freezes, CTDs?

Other posts have answered your question already. :)

But no, no issues.

Other posts have answered your question already. :)

But no, no issues.

Thanks bro. But I'd still appreciate more experiences from other people using the GTX 680.

Excuse me if I missed something, but what was your previous card used? I think it was a GTX 580 but I'm not sure. I know the GTX 680 barely does any better, but how much is actual difference of performance?

I've also seen something that the GTX 680 does slightly worse. Do you experience the same, or does it do equally well, or slightly better?

GTX580 then XFX 7950 DD and now the GTX680.

OK, thanks. But as asked in my previous question: how does it compare to the GTX 580? You said that it wasn't impressive, but what's the actual difference? Is it a slight performance drop, does it perform equal, or is there a slight increase? Thanks in advance. :smile:

I would appreciate if my previous question could be answered by a GTX 680 user! :smile:

If Nvidia changed a 580 to a 1080. Everyone would want one. it is, for the most part, a bigger number better MARKETING scheme. If I had a reason to be buying new I would go with the newest but I certainly wouldn't pay $ to upgrade. A 680 is last yrs 580 . 2011 Mustang compared to a 2012, small cosmetic changes derived from a marketing standpoint to boost sales.

If Nvidia changed a 580 to a 1080. Everyone would want one. it is, for the most part, a bigger number better MARKETING scheme. If I had a reason to be buying new I would go with the newest but I certainly wouldn't pay $ to upgrade. A 680 is last yrs 580 . 2011 Mustang compared to a 2012, small cosmetic changes derived from a marketing standpoint to boost sales.

I know, but at the moment this is not relevant. As I said, I don't OWN a GPU at the moment, it's borrowed from a friend and he wants it back. So I can now spend all my money on a new GPU. I want the GTX 680, for other games, because the GTX 580 will be starting to become a bottleneck in a year or 2. But my only concern is, what the actual performance difference is. I know it's small, but does the GTX 680 a little worse, similar, or (slightly) better than the GTX 580? That's my only question at the moment, at yet no GTX 680 user has answered it yet. :smile; (This is not meant aggressively btw).

I have to disagree with this. The 600 series are a new generation of GPU's, new architecture and manufacturing process, and they happen to be so good, that nVidia could afford to brand this card that was initially intended to be a mid-range card, and sell it as a top tier 680, because it beats all of the previous gaming GPU's by a fair margin and with a much lower power consumption.

Guys rule of thumb on hardware especially if you are in the market. As long as the newer hardware does not end up decreasing performance, always buy the latest generation if possible. You get more time out of that hardware before you have to move on to the next product. A top end video card is now pushing past a mobo+cpu combo in terms of overall price!

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

Can a GTX680 user please answer me and Arjen's question? How does the 680 compare to the 580 when it comes to FSX performance?

The 6xx is indeed a revolution for the fact that you don't need tripleheadtogo. PERIOD!

:Money Eyes:

OF course if you are not into multi monitor setup.. then ....whatever! :Just Kidding:

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

OK, thanks. But as asked in my previous question: how does it compare to the GTX 580? You said that it wasn't impressive, but what's the actual difference? Is it a slight performance drop, does it perform equal, or is there a slight increase? Thanks in advance. :smile:

Overall the 680 performs better than my 580. FPS are almost similar but the 680 appears to run smoother and without any stutters.

Overall the 680 is an improvement over the 580, while a small improvement it is still a better performing card.

Wow are you wrong.

Overall the 680 performs better than my 580. FPS are almost similar but the 680 appears to run smoother and without any stutters.

Overall the 680 is an improvement over the 580, while a small improvement it is still a better performing card.

Wow are you wrong.

do you still have both John?