Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Shall I get the GTX 680 or not?

Hi captains,

As you can see in my sig, I'm currently using the GTX 580, but, it's only borrowed from a friend of mine. Right now he wants it back, so I will have to buy a card myself now. So far, especially with Srdan's VSync tweak,

FSX runs great and very smooth! I have nothing to complain about. But, I'm not only buying a card for FSX. I know that currently a GTX 680 won't really do better than the GTX 580, but there are still several reasons why I want the GTX 680. First of all, I think the drivers will mature after a while which will increase performance (just like with the GTX 480 in the past). Secondly a video card is a great investment, and you will want to use it for around 3 years. I want to be able to run future flightsim platforms too, and also I'm a racing enthusiast. I play F1 2011, and am waiting for RFactor 2 to be released, and many other racing games. Also I think I might be playing more shooters and adventure games in the future on the PC instead of PS3. So for future gaming, and for games right now in general, a GTX 680 is a great choice. But my concern is: are there any problems with the card in FSX? Like:

- Stuttering?

- Crashes, freezes, OOMs?

- Any other problems?

I'd like to know as many personal experiences from GTX 680 users.

Thanks everyone!

I am considering the same for myself. I can use the EVGA step-up program to get one if I so desire.

I am wondering about this new TXAA. Has anyone tested it?

- Stuttering?

- Crashes, freezes, OOMs?

- Any other problems?

I'd like to know as many personal experiences from GTX 680 users.

Only thing I really experienced was crashing due to OC. You can OC the heck out of the card and it pass NV stress testing along with 3DMark/Heaven/Fur/etc without a crash. Get into FSX or BF3 and it will crash.

Other than that with the 301.24 I have had no issues.

I am considering the same for myself. I can use the EVGA step-up program to get one if I so desire.

I am wondering about this new TXAA. Has anyone tested it?

TXAA has to be implemented in the games code so as of now it is only a paper launch. Borderlands 2 and Bioshock are suppose to launch with TXAA along with a few others.

We won't see TXAA on FSX.

:(

John,

I appreciate your input. I'll ask again when a new driver comes around and hopefully fixes the driver OC crashes. Personally, I find GPU overclocking quite important for running high AA levels. Anyways, how does the 680 compare to the 580?

The OC issue is not a driver issue. The benches (3dmark, etc) just don't stress the card enough for boost to kick into the unstable area. So it is just hard to find max stable without playing a game.

BF3 on ultra is really tough on cards and boosts above 1325 gpu makes mine black screen.

Interesting thread, I'm about to build a new FSX rig and just bought a GTX 580 DirectCU II from ASUS since I heard I won't have much extra in FSX by going with a 680 and I'll only use my rig for FSX and nothing else.

One thing though I haven't asked regarding the GFX card in FSX, it's 1.5 GB memory on the GTX 580 I bought now but I've seen there are also 580's with 3 GB...is 1.5 GB enough in all situations in FSX or could I benefit from choosing a 580 with 3 GB instead?

Richard Åsberg

For me it's really simple: if the GTX 680 performs better or at least similarly to the GTX 580 in FSX, and if it has got no problems in FSX like stuttering, OOMs, crashes (at default clockspeed), then I'm gonna get it.

For me it's really simple: if the GTX 680 performs better or at least similarly to the GTX 580 in FSX, and if it has got no problems in FSX like stuttering, OOMs, crashes (at default clockspeed), then I'm gonna get it.

Well...the price tag is of course somewhat different between the 580 and the 680 so personally since I'll only use my new rig for FSX I don't like to "waste" money on a 680 if it won't give me anything more than a 580 will. Actually if my memory serves I read in another similar thread that the 680 compared to the 580 is more similar to the ATI cards from an architectual point of view and for that reason since it's commonly known ATI cards haven't been that good in FSX this thread/person recommended the 580 over the 680 for this reason. However I guess these kind of things can change one the drivers mature...not sure though how much effort Nvidia will put into tweaking and tuning their drivers for FSX...a product that is a very small one compared to many other "games" and also not in development any longer...at least not in it's current form.

What I still would like to know is how much GFX memory FSX will make use of but I think I should create my own post about this rather than hi-jacking this one...sorry :wink:

Richard Åsberg

I think the GTX is a very sound investment. Especially if you play other games besides just simming with FS. I don't think we are going to get much more performance out of a 680 for FSX. Maybe a 1-2 FPS but who knows. I already put it for my step-up but I'm like #730 in queue. If I can get one before hand I will.

Christopher Edwards

Actually if my memory serves I read in another similar thread that the 680 compared to the 580 is more similar to the ATI cards from an architectual point of view and for that reason since it's commonly known ATI cards haven't been that good in FSX

The 600 series are not like AMD's cards in terms of architecture. Benchmarks show that. Kepler's architecture spanks (tech term) AMD's southern islands.

NV stripped several feature for the 600 series in terms of computation (not game based but for folding, etc) to make a leaner, faster and cooler gaming card. In fact the 600 series cards were designed primarily for gaming. AMD cards were built to also allow quick computations. That is why you see large folding rigs using 7970's rather than 680's. Since that power is not needed in games NV lowered it.

AMD's failure with FSX has always been driver related and not hardware. AMD just doesn't want to invest time in older tech which FSX is built on. You can't really blame them.

As I have said before the 680's performance with FSX is not surprising. Eventually we were going to hit a wall in terms of hardware and FSX. If you don't do anything but FSX then stick to a 580 or 670.

If you play other sims/games especially higher than 1080p the 680 is amazing and no where near a waste of money.

Don't forget the awesome single-card multi-monitor support built into the new GTX 6xx series. 3 monitors (plus a fourth for displaying non-game content, i.e. internet, PDFs, etc.) is something worth considering over the GTX 5xx series. I haven't been able to compare directly on my new build, but the 680 w/PCIe 3 x16 is fast and stutter-free.

Thanks for all good input guys, I decided with the needs I have I'll be just fine with the 580 with 1.5 GB RAM.

Richard Åsberg

No difference whatsoever in FSX (IMO)

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

No difference whatsoever in FSX (IMO)

I play other games. BF3, MW3, and soon to come Black Ops2.