My 8g of Mushkin (2x4) RAM has 6-8-6-24 timings at 1600Mhz. I just changed the command rate from 2T to 1T and ran a few tests for the past couple of days and all seems very well. As far as objective analysis goes, what is the common performance measurement difference between the two? Anyone know?

Kind regards,

I see that 1T makes a tremendous FPS boost over 2T. Sometimes it is a difference of 15FPS to 35FPS. No joke seriously.

JK lol

One fps.....actual measurement!

CPU:Core i7-3770k @ 4.9GHz HT Off 1.41v

Mobo: Asus Maximus V Gene

RAM: G.Skill Trident X 8GB 2666 MHz (11-13-13-32-1N)

GPU: EVGA GTX 680

HDD 1: WD Velociraptor X2 1.82TB intel RAID 0

HDD 2: WD Caviar Black X2 1.82TB intel RAID 0

PSU: Cooler Master SP Gold 1200 W

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos S

Cooling: Blackice Extreme 360 / Laing D5 / Swiftech Apogee HD / feser one

HLJAMES

I see that 1T makes a tremendous FPS boost over 2T. Sometimes it is a difference of 15FPS to 35FPS. No joke seriously.

:unknw:

One fps.....actual measurement!

Kind of hard to reconcile these two answers no matter how hard I try! :dirol:

Just did some testing with FSXMark11 on the rig in my sig and saw no difference to speak of. Was essentially identical, down to a tenth or two in FPS, and no change in min/max FPS recorded.

This was also with a stock FSX (Plus FSX.cfg tweaks), not with any add-on, so there might be a gain/loss if those are used. I also don't seem to be as picky as others are when it comes to micro-stutters, so there might be something on that end for some people, but I couldn't tell a difference between the two sitting here and watching the tests run. EDIT: One more thing, from previous FSXMark11 testing I'm video card limited, so there might be a change if you have a better video card. This stuff might not matter, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I have the same results as Stephen - 1T is more smooth and stable (2T in OCed PC is not stable).

And a small extract from wiki:

The Command Per Clock (or Command Rate) setting determines the delay (in clocks) between the chip being selected and the controller beginning to send commands. 1T gives better performance, while 2T yields increased stability with older/cheaper RAM

I googled this recently this question recently, in relation to general performance, not FSX in particular, and couldn't find any definite answers.

Cheers,

Mike

Read from top to bottom.

http://www.simforums...topic41484.html

I'm afraid Nick is just as vague in the typical percentage gains with 1T vs 2T as the rest of the references are. 1T is better than 2T, if a system can support and maintain it, yes of course, but by how much and at what benefit and how?

I'm afraid Nick is just as vague in the typical percentage gains with 1T vs 2T as the rest of the references are. 1T is better than 2T, if a system can support and maintain it, yes of course, but by how much and at what benefit and how?

By how much will always depend of your hardwares and settings, but we already know that 1T IS better compare to 2T so do we really need to know by how much? Every little gain you can make for FSX will add up at the end.

It's not really about the system it's about how much you are welling to spend on RAMs who will do 1T at high speed with tight timing, I paid well over $300.00 for my stick when they came on the market but they do (out of the box) 2000MHz at 7-7-7-21 and that is screaming fast, I got them down to 7-7-6-20 1T at 2004MHz....phew.

As Nick said, today's stick are not as good as the one sold 2 years ago, it's a personal choice.

I got them down to 7-7-6-20 1T at 2004MHz

Nice RAM Alain!

we already know that 1T IS better compare to 2T so do we really need to know by how much?

However, just saying 1T is better without giving objective examples of "how much" between 1T and 2T is no more enlightening to me than what I said in my opening post. I am fully aware of the advantages of higher speed and lower timings, the philosophies and principles behind them, and the subsequent balance/imbalance of hardware choices and related issues.

What I am looking for is a better understanding of exactly why and how 1T is preferable over 2T in any given application and how much performance gain or stability trade off might be expected as a direct/indirect result of choosing either command settings. Numbers, not notions, naunces and nonsense, but valid objective quantitative analysis and findings.

Surely there must be better explanations and direct answers somewhere in these here parts!

Let´s see what the "Overclock Kids" have to say about it:

http://www.overclock...ad.php?t=602764

Postulates, ideas, opinions etc. not much else, but an interesting read IMO!

1T gives roughly 18% memory performance over 2T, just FYI.

17-18% where?

If you have a minute,

try the AIDA64 memory benchmark,

be interested in hearing your latency results at 2T vs 1T....

Here:

Running 1600 8-8-8-24 1T ... 51ns

Running 1866 9-9-9-24 2T ... 41ns

Is that logical ?

If you have a minute,

try the AIDA64 memory benchmark,

be interested in hearing your latency results at 2T vs 1T....

Here:

Running 1600 8-8-8-24 1T ... 51ns

Running 1866 9-9-9-24 2T ... 41ns

Is that logical ?

I don't know, question is... is that relevant to FSX?