Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

Active Sky or REX with PMDG Aircraft?

So I'm getting pretty bored of the default FSX weather so looking to get either Active Sky or REX. Now my average FPS with the NGX or 747 is 20-30 on the ground and 30-40/50 Airborne. What would be the best FPS wise?

For my self the best option is REX2 and the registered FSUIPC version to get rid of these

stupid wind problems! The frames affect is very good,and you get a lot of cloud types in HD!

But this is my oppinion and for sure it won't work on every system!

Greetings

Sven Wendel

Sven Wendel

For my self the best option is REX2 and the registered FSUIPC version to get rid of these

stupid wind problems! The frames affect is very good,and you get a lot of cloud types in HD!

But this is my oppinion and for sure it won't work on every system!

Greetings

Sven Wendel

yup especially when the rex essential pack comes out which hope fully not too far off by the sound of things in the rex froum

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Active Sky is a much better program for generating real wheather into fs.

On the other hand Rex textures are beautifull! That's why I use them togheter.

David DD

Active Sky is a much better program for generating real wheather into fs.

On the other hand Rex textures are beautifull! That's why I use them togheter.

David DD

Yeah that's a big thing for me as I like to keep it as realistic as possible. I was on approach to Oslo and looked at the metar and was basically CAT III Conditions but on the Sim was clear skies.. ha!

Get REX 2, with it, you also get a 9GB file download of REX Overdrive, which adds a bunch of clouds and stuff, and pretty soon they will release REX Essentials which will pretty much be REX 3.... It's a whole new program, basically.

Get REX 2, with it, you also get a 9GB file download of REX Overdrive, which adds a bunch of clouds and stuff, and pretty soon they will release REX Essentials which will pretty much be REX 3.... It's a whole new program, basically.

Yea and if you have already got rex it will be a free download when the essential pack comes out. The good thing is that the weather programne is going to be a much more improvement than the one it has now

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Do we know if the new REX Essentials still require FSUIPC to fix the wind issues?

<--------------->
Mike Murawski

I just found out that the REX weather engine is not compatable with FSX. This might be the reason that REX, is trying to fix with Essentials. This was told to me by a long time MS engineer. I quit using REX, fewer CTD, now.

Active SKY2012 was made for FSX, and works good.

Jerry

well I have active sky 2012 and rex2.I use rex2 for cloud and other graphics.I use AS 2012 only for weather.Both works well and pmdg 747x is not fps eater :)

one big (very big) advantage is the historic weather with AS2012!!!

Come home in the evening and fly with the weather of the morning.

Or tired about weeks of hot weather in the summer? Set your FS to the date there've been a cold stormy, foggy winter day and have fun.

Remember the date of a hurricane or rainy, foggy day last year? Go back in time and fly with this weather

:Peace:

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really like how Active Sky 2012 selects its own correct textures when you load the weather. I would never be bothered to select the correct textures/theme from REX every flight manually based on what AS told me, although I know there used to be the snapshot system in the old Active Sky which I guess made it a bit easier.

Marko Hyypia

I just found out that the REX weather engine is not compatable with FSX. This might be the reason that REX, is trying to fix with Essentials. This was told to me by a long time MS engineer. I quit using REX, fewer CTD, now.

Active SKY2012 was made for FSX, and works good.

Jerry

where did you find this information i use rex weather and iam sure alot of others do and iam having no problems at all with fsx

Peter kelberg

A small number of people claim that REX does reasonable weather. I do not understand why they think that, I can only say that it is slightly better then the FSX default weather. The norm until recently was to have ASE for weather and REX for pretties. Then AS2012 launched late last year with even better weather and very pretty pretties. Some people still claim that the pretties in REX are superior and I am not going to argue against them, but the ones in AS2012 are so much easier to use and, to my eye, look more then pretty enough, that I and many others have un-installed REX altogether. Essentials has been promised for a long time, and might yet prove to be a game changer, but until it is actually released, AS2012 is all you need.