Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

Active Sky or REX with PMDG Aircraft?

Luke

Several months ago when I reinstalled FSX and all the addons I did not install REX2/OD but just went with AS2012 which I let select and install the textures based upon the flightplan for my flight. When I was using ASE and REX2 I only setup one theme in REX2 and used it for all flights no matter what the weather was. You could spend your whole life creating and screwing around with REX themes or you could let AS2012 do it for you in 5 minutes.

Michael Cubine

Luke

Several months ago when I reinstalled FSX and all the addons I did not install REX2/OD but just went with AS2012 which I let select and install the textures based upon the flightplan for my flight. When I was using ASE and REX2 I only setup one theme in REX2 and used it for all flights no matter what the weather was. You could spend your whole life creating and screwing around with REX themes or you could let AS2012 do it for you in 5 minutes.

Michael Cubine

Yeah I think I'll go ahead and purchase AS2012! Like today I arrived into LHR and said OVC010 etc and on FSX it was clear skies ha! Looking forward to getting the proper Weather in the Sim. AS doesn't eat to much FPS does it?

AS2012's weather engine personally.

What is the difference in AS2012 and ASE?

I myself have been kicking this around, and did not even know about Rex Essentials until a few days ago.. I already have Flight Environment X (old I know) and am quite happy with the textures in that. So if AS2012 will fix my weather then I may have to go with that.. The last couple days my FSX weather has been really screwy for some reason which is what got me thinking about getting a weather program. Although REX Essentials looks promising I really do not know much about either product.

What is the difference in AS2012 and ASE?

AS2012's weather engine seems to be much improved vs. ASEs. No problems at all with S-Turns etc for me and I'm running the default settings. I think it's doing a better job with the haze/visibility stuff than ASE did too.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Luke

Michael Cubine

you dont need to change the textures every five minutes as you suggesting you just pick the type of clouds, water, sky etc for the first time and u leave it till u want to change it again than you launch fsx and than rex weather does the rest under 4 mins for me you you dont need to spend you whole life changing the rex themes

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

AS doesn't eat to much FPS does it?

First let me write that I have clould coverage density set at 15 in fsx.cfg. The maximum default is 8. With that in mind normal weather in AS2012 does not effect the FPS limited to 30 FPS by NVIDIA Inspector. In heavy cloud coverage during the climb phase FPS can fluctuate violently in external views until I have climbed above the clouds. No problem in 2D or VC cockpit. At the default setting of 8 there should be little or no effect on FPS even in heavy clouds. BTW I am using the AS2012 graphic settings maxed out.

Michael Cubine

you dont need to change the textures every five minutes

Peter

Who wrote anything about changing textures every 5 minutes. The 5 minutes concerns AS2012 not REX2. Read the post the next time.

Michael Cubine

Who wrote anything about changing textures every 5 minutes. The 5 minutes concerns AS2012 not REX2. Read the post the next time.

ok i take note on that my mistake but as probably was trying to point out that you dont need to spend your whole life creating a theme in rex you only need to do it once till you decide to change it.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The issue I had using REX is that it was stuttering heavily with dense cloud coverage at descent phase in big add-on airports(say approaching EHAM). Thus, I uninstalled it although graphics were great.

Since then I overclocked my i5 2500k to 4,5 ghz and locked frames to 30. All runs smoothly.

I don't want to experience again these stutterings and I am reluctand to re-install REX.

Any comment on this?

Is AS equally frame demanding or causing stutterings?

Christos

You can use REX with a bit lower texture size than 4096. 2048 or even 1024 can work fine.

In any case it'll definitely be better than default textures!

As for AS2012 I have a feeling that they are less heavy for my PC. After a clean FSX installation I have opted to use AS only. Guess that I'll try REX only if I upgrade my rig.

The issue I had using REX is that it was stuttering heavily with dense cloud coverage at descent phase in big add-on airports(say approaching EHAM). Thus, I uninstalled it although graphics were great.

Since then I overclocked my i5 2500k to 4,5 ghz and locked frames to 30. All runs smoothly.

I don't want to experience again these stutterings and I am reluctand to re-install REX.

Any comment on this?

Is AS equally frame demanding or causing stutterings?

Christos

strange that you had stuttering when you were using rex since you were o/c and here iam with none at all with just the middle range pc with no o/c, maybe when the essentail pack will fix this issue if you decide to reinstall since it will be a free upgrade to the pack when it comes out

Peter kelberg

AS2012 here too.

Chris Howard

Ok so once I've Landed I'm going to buy AS2012! Could someone explain briefly what I have to do? Install the textures I want or can I select it to random? Also does it update weather automatically or is that I setting I need to enable? Thanks!

Ok so once I've Landed I'm going to buy AS2012! Could someone explain briefly what I have to do? Install the textures I want or can I select it to random? Also does it update weather automatically or is that I setting I need to enable? Thanks!

Hi mate

It updates automatically through AS2012/Vatsim its up to u what u select but by default its set to automatic updates through the programme

With the textures, and this is one feature i love, u can import ur flightplan into AS2012 or create one and it will automatically pick out the textures based on current weather.

U then select install and in a few mins it will have loaded the textures into fsx, u can randomize textures or select/create them but i find the wx based texture option the best.

I little pointer....in ur cfg change the cloud coverage density from 8 to 12, you'll have a lovely overcast when the conditions are but remember, any changes u make in ths fsx settings menues will cause this

to revert back to default value 8.

Hope that helps and enjoy!

Oh yeh, if u have any of their older engines u should contact HIFI and they may sort u out a discount if they are still doing that.

Edited by christos

Chris Howard