Sign in to follow this  
gura75

VOR approach pmdg 737-700

Hi

Take a look at the picture included. It's a VOR approach chart RWY 11 EPGD. Can this approach be performed using LVL change button down to minimums and taking over manually from there? Like LVL change from 3500ft at UVRIK down to GD502, 2500ft (762m), then LVL change at FAF down to 1000ft (325m) [minimums]. Or what would be a proper way to perform this VOR approach.

geir

Yes it could be flown this way. But it is better to fly it in VNAV/LNAV overlay mode with monitoring, or yet better by the way of IAN (if equipped)

By the way...how do I know the landing speed? When flying ILS the landing speed is calculated by the FMC according to flap settings. But how do we know landing speed when performing non ILS approach?

Yes it could be flown this way. But it is better to fly it in VNAV/LNAV overlay mode with monitoring, or yet better by the way of IAN (if equipped)

I always use VOR and VNAV.. Would that be okay, too? Or is LNAV/VNAV the better way to go? I´ve no idea of realworld procedures :D

regards,

Alexander Marx

By the way...how do I know the landing speed? When flying ILS the landing speed is calculated by the FMC according to flap settings. But how do we know landing speed when performing non ILS approach?

The landing speed is the same regardless if you are using ILS/VOR/Visual, etc. The speeds are still calculated and are located on the PERF INIT Approach page for you to enter.

EDIT: Shouldn't this thread be in the NGX forum???

As Adam said, the speed is same as in ILS.

That is, Vref, the reference speed, is based on flap/wieght combination, as a specific multiplication of the stall speed at that specific flap/speed. IIRC it is 1.25x Vs40 for F40, and 1.3x Vs30 / 1.3x Vs15 for F30 and F15 respectively, in the 737NG case.

Vapp, the approach speed, is Vref corrected. Generally, this means Vref+corr, where corr is half the steady wind speed (or sometimes headwind component) plus full gust speed, up to 20, but not less than 5. E.g. if wind is 12 knots, corr is 6, if wind is 14 knots gusting 17, corr is 7+3=10, but if wind is 6 knots, corr is 5 and should the wind be 22G35, corr will not be 11+13=24, but just 20.

This holds true for any approach from visual to autoland.

EDIT: Shouldn't this thread be in the NGX forum???

I guess it is kind of non-specific... Same principles apply in the 747, 777 and to an extent of different AP modes (eg. PROF iso VNAV) also to MD-11.

Fun fact: a 757/767, at least the Level-D one (and the config it is based on) does not have an autopilot function for tracking VOR radial. Either you handfly on raw data, or you use LNAV overlay....

I always use VOR and VNAV.. Would that be okay, too? Or is LNAV/VNAV the better way to go? I´ve no idea of realworld procedures :D

In case of VOR app, you should always have reference VOR tuned and course set.

Fun fact: a 757/767, at least the Level-D one (and the config it is based on) does not have an autopilot function for tracking VOR radial. Either you handfly on raw data, or you use LNAV overlay....

More fun fact. No glass cockpit Boeing can track VOR raw data except the 737NG. The only reason the NG has this ability is because despite the pretty glass, the 737NG is still your grandfather's technology.

Back to the approach, my first choice would be VNAV. If not, I would recommend VS. FLCH would work, but I would absoluely not recommend it inside the FAF. You would not be flying a stabilized approach, and it would propably generate some GPWS warnings.

VNAV or VS would be the better options.

Paul

Huh. I would have sworn I have used the function on the 747. But it has been couple years since I last done that one.

In case of VOR app, you should always have reference VOR tuned and course set.

Okay thx :)

regards,

Alexander Marx

I agree with most of the post above in that LNAV/VNAV would be the best and most common method. Second would be LNAV with VS mode.

I doubt you'll find an airline that approves using LVL CHG in it’s approach SOP.

A constant angle of descent will allow for a stabilized approach and minimize flight crew distractions during a critical phase of operation.

I guess it is kind of non-specific... Same principles apply in the 747, 777 and to an extent of different AP modes (eg. PROF iso VNAV) also to MD-11.

Oh yeah...I just realized the OP post says nothing about a 737....I guess I was hung up on the thread title. Nit-pick...I've gotta stop doing that...