Sign in to follow this  
ctiger

FSX Crashing

Hi Carl

Just a wild shot. Why don't you uninstall everything related to FSDT and see how you go from there? Then one by one re-install those FSDT sceneries. There cannot be that many FSDT sceneries so you'd not have to go through a complete FSX re-install which you dread.

Good Morning Jim and Rick ,

I tried setting up a new start, when it came to the fsdt addon manager and one other FSDT files I did not allow them to be "trusted". This allowed to get to the actual screen before starting free fly, missions, etc. I was able to check the scenery library, which all appeared to be set properly. Also set up display for scenery, resolution etc. When I set to free flight the default plane lacked textures and also looked completely out of place meaning the wings were not aligned. Check other planes and same problem. Really wierd almost like a problem with the video card. Loaded to KTYS and all the plane and scenery lacked any definition or resolution (all washed out), wheels in the runway. Really weird. I tried changing out the plane and CTD. Is there a repair mechanism putting in the FSX disk and accel disk to see if they could do a repair job. If that is possible will I have to reinstall all my payware. GEX, UTX, etc.? Finally would it be feasible to set my computer back a few days when everything was running with no problems?

Any other suggestions are alwarys welcome

Thanks guys,

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Maybe try reinstalling your graphics card driver,and see if that helps?

Guest firehawk44

If that is possible will I have to reinstall all my payware. GEX, UTX, etc.? Finally would it be feasible to set my computer back a few days when everything was running with no problems?

There is a repair option with FSX. Just insert the FSX disk and select the repair option. You'll have to do it with the Acceleration disk too. Restoring your computer back to before the problem occurred is really for adding new software. I don't think the restore program saves your FSX.cfg, your scenery.cfg, your dll.xml, or your exe.dll which could be causing the problem. VC10Man had an idea but, instead of reinstalling the FSDT scenery, try disabling all your FSDT scenery in the Scenery Library. If that fixes the problem, then start enabling each one until you find a problem. You can also download and install the latest AddonManager on the FSDT site and it will check for problems and update your FSDT stuff. I'm not sure what is entered in the computer system if you say you do not trust something. If an entry is made in the registry, then the item in the registry could be telling FSX not to initiate a module or dll. Just thinking and maybe something to consider.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Carl, sorry to hear you are experiencing CTD. I'm not as technical as some of the troubleshooting genius here. I know most of us dreaded the experience of re-install everything. Especially you talking about $1K worth of add-ons. I recently had to reinstall everything due to CTD, because the amount of time looking for a solutions trying to rescue the program is just frustrated.

If you really treasure the program, is best to start from fresh and do it right. For me, I learn a lot from my research on how to create a better and stable fsx. :)

Maybe try reinstalling your graphics card driver,and see if that helps?

Good point for some reason that slipped my mind. It sure appears something is wrong with the graphics; however, I have no problems with any of my other programs.

I don't think the restore program saves your FSX.cfg, your scenery.cfg, your dll.xml, or your exe.dll which could be causing the problem. VC10Man had an idea but, instead of reinstalling the FSDT scenery, try disabling all your FSDT scenery in the Scenery Library

Jim, Yoou may be correct since I did do a restore when all of this really came to a head. Will try the lastest suggestions before having to probably donate a week or more having to go ballestic on a total new install.

I recently had to reinstall everything due to CTD, because the amount of time looking for a solutions trying to rescue the program is just frustrated.

You sure do have a good point, I am not a technician as well but thankful we have some good ones on the forums. I can't image me taking my comouter to a shop and asking them to fix it when they probably don't even know what a FSX is.

Thanks to all for hanging in there with me.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello

Why not reinstall a fresh copy of FSDT addon manager this should fix any issues with BGLman.dll

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_addonmanager.html

Then get a copy of FSX DLL.XML Viewer and Repair Utility from Flight1 and check out your dll.xml file and also your exe.xml file remove all but the standard entries

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

Also cut out all of the entries in your Scenery.cfg leaving only the basic FSX entries and then before starting FSX delete all the entries in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes\

Delete FLTSIM.FLT and FLTSIM.WX then copy and rename DEFAULT_enu.FLT and DEFAULT_enu.Wx to

FLTSIM.FLT and FLTSIM.WX

Remove all of the trusted entries in FSX.cfg or just delete the FSX.cfg completely.

All this will put you back to square one as far as FSX default setup is concerned.

Then restart FSX let it all rebuild and reindex and see how you get on from there.

Best thing I ever invested in Carl was a seagate external hard drive with a facility to burn an image of my computer.It took me a long time to install FSX properly but just took my time doing everything by the letter with all the guides out there knowing that I only need to do it once. I have images of just a basic window 7 install with drivers, next one with FSX, GEX, REX and PMDG installed which I know is 100% stable, and a couple of other images with other add ons installed which I know will never crash. If ever I get a problem with another addon which causes CTD, I just burn my latest image which I know will be fine. This has saved me unknown time having to reinstall everything. Definitely worth considering. I reckon it would take me around 6 hours to start from scratch again..............

Why not reinstall a fresh copy of FSDT addon manager this should fix any issues with BGLman.dll

I have uninstalled FSDT addon manager and assosicated files. Also unchecked all sceneries related to FSDT. I have no CTD getting to the free flight; however, I still experience only an outline of each plane with offesets of parts of the plane such as the propellar in the air, no landing gear, etc. All the planes I choose to fly have similar problems. I can get to an airport but the only thing that is clear is the 2d cockpit and gauges all other i.e VC, outside view etc is reallly messed up. I have downloaded the most recent video driver but it did not help. The scenery appears to have a lot of shimmerring and poor clouds, lights are black squares. To me it would appear something with the graphics or installation of the planes are screwed up. I have never saw a floating propellar in the air before now. The sound is fine.

Delete FLTSIM.FLT and FLTSIM.WX then copy and rename DEFAULT_enu.FLT and DEFAULT_enu.Wx to

FLTSIM.FLT and FLTSIM.WX

Mad dog, Could I try the above before the FSX DLL viewer and deleting the scenery files since with my limited knowledge I keep thinking it still has something to do with texture and putting parts of a plane together in the correct sequence, if that make sense.

I did a complete back up on external drive, which has not been kept up to date but was wondering if some particular file could replace an exiisting file such as an old fsg or scenery cfg. or FSX.exe

thanks all,

Carl

We have Victory!

FSX is now up and running just like old times. First and foremost I want to thank all of you for taking the time to read my cry for hlelp and to assist me in getting FSX back on line. I mean I spent all of yesterday and most of today asking for help.

I think this was the problem after installing the net.framework and all the other changes to get rid of the sorttbls.nip. Deleting the FSDT addon manger and associated software was the main culpret as several suggestied. After trying several clean fsx.cfg which finally got me to the free flight screen, I decided to go back to an old FSX.cfg file saved last week. Presto, everything work perfrectly. I was really dreading to have to reinstall FSX. Now I plan to reinstall addon manager and activate all my FSDT sceneries, which I think may work since I have been using it for a few years.

Kind Regards to all and Happy Flying,

Carl

Guest firehawk44

lights are black squares

This is a known problem. You are probably missing the fx_2.bmp file in your Effects/Texture folder. There is a third party program (I can't find the name or developer of the program) that unfortunately install third party lights in the Effects/Texture folder. When you uninstall this addon program, the fx_2.bmp file and maybe even more fx files in the Effects/Texture folder. I have 53 files in my Effects/Texture folder. It may also remove other fx files like fx_1.bmp and fx_3.bmp. If they are missing, the only way to resolve this is by inserting your FSX disk and selecting repair. I backed up the Effects/Texture folder because of this problem. This could be causing some of your other texture anomalies. Really frustrating.

"FSX is now up and running just like old times."

That's great news Carl! Since you indicated earlier that you had a problem with the lights, I'm leaving my comments above about a possible fix for that. Good luck with the Addon Manager and Happy Flying!

Best regards,

Jim

Fantastic news, Carl. Happy Flying and Good Landings!

Glad to know you have sorted the fault, I am also glad to be part of AVsim as there are so many experience trouble shooters with FSX here :)

Just to add, although the FSDT Addon Manager was mentioned here, it didn't had anything to do with the problem, which was more likely *two* problems together, the "Unhanded exception error" message and the problem with the Effects textures.

The "Unhanded exception error" is a message coming from the .NET framework and if you posted the error details it would have been possible to identify exactly which program caused it. When you restored the system and got the "sortlbs.net" error, it was too an indication of a problem with the .NET framework, which was probably messed up after the system restore.

The only thing sure, this doesn't have anything to do with the FSDT Addon Manager, because we don't use .NET at all, the Addon Manager is a native C++ application using ONLY the basic Win32 API. No .NET, no MFC, just plain windows calls.

Several other FSX addon use .NET (like REX), and the original "Unhanded exception error" message could only be caused by a .NET application.

However, and now things start to get interesting, while the Addon Manager is NOT using .NET, when Microsoft updates the .NET framework, it usually also updates the C++ runtimes libraries that come with it, since the .NET framework itself is written in C++, so it requires the C++ runtimes (MSVCRxxx.DLL), just like the Addon Manager.

Which means, if something goes wrong (corrupted files, a problem with restore, etc) with the .NET that affects the C++ runtimes, it might stop the Addon Manager from working correctly, so you might be mislead into thinking the problem had something to do with it, when in fact the Addon Manager was only another "victim" of the mess caused by a troubled .NET installation, surely not the cause.

Just to be more clear: if the Addon Manager had something to do with your problem, you would see FSX just crashing badly, not with the descriptive (and full of details) "Unhanded exception error", which is the signature of a faulty .NET application. The detailed error log always contains very useful information, including the name of the .NET program that caused this, and even the line of the code affected.