Sign in to follow this  
Airbusman

777 retirements

I know this happened after the accident but before he left BA. Completely false rumors circulated among cabin crew members to this effect. It was a factor in his decision to leave. But I haven't heard that these rumors circulated after he went back to BA.

Burkill was commended for not taking control of the aircraft since he had a perfectly capable first officer flying the plane. He was also commended for taking the decision to decrease flaps that prolonged the glide and averted a much worse crash. He really belongs up there with Sully Sullenberger as someone who dealt very successfully with a situation for which pilots are not trained and who made the right call in an extreme situation. Indeed he had much less time to figure out what to do.

Mike

I would reccommend reading his autobiography, it is fantastic.

When he returned to BA after the crash, on a flight to Antiuga I believe, he was approached by senior cabin crew in flight and questioned.

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I would love to have the front section of a T7 in my garage.

protip: You'll be better off getting a 767 cockpit. More or less the same thing... and easier to get.

protip: You'll be better off getting a 767 cockpit. More or less the same thing... and easier to get.

Less :biggrin:

Less

Well it would be if you intended to get it complete, screens and all... but who would sell you that. Under that, basic shape is the same.

can you imagine my missus face if she opened the door to get the lawn mower out

and found a T7 in the garage.Talking%20Ear%20Off.gifTalking%20Ear%20Off.gifTalking%20Ear%20Off.gif

steve-0

Keep in mind too that the pressurization cycle count on a long-haul jet is often MUCH lower than that of a 737 or A320. A short/medium range jet will do a bunch of them in one day while a long range jet often does just one a day or so. There are still perfectly good 747-100s, DC-10s etc flying today and a lot of it is because of that.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

If it's the 767-400ER cockpit then it is the same thing!

Andy, I just found this video on Youtube. About 3:37 you can hear an announcement that Burkill is the captain.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r8cNbIP1KY[/media]

Mike

thats where i found the infomation :Loser:

He isn't just flying the 77W. All BA Pilots that are on the 777 Fleet fly both 772 & 77W.

Correct he did indeed take a break from Flying but then came back a couple of Years later, I believe all crew is still at BA and on the 777. The guys on the Flight Deck were far from blamed, their actions and professionalism on that day saved a ton of lives.

well that just makes me want to be a BA pilot in a few years even more...

thanks for that info, never knew that....

I would reccommend reading his autobiography, it is fantastic.

When he returned to BA after the crash, on a flight to Antiuga I believe, he was approached by senior cabin crew in flight and questioned.

Alex

he has an autobiography? i never knew this, can you lead me on to some more infomation in it, or tell me the Title....?

he has an autobiography? i never knew this, can you lead me on to some more infomation in it, or tell me the Title....?

+

-ANDY GREEN

It's called "Thirty Seconds to Impact."

It is available at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Thirty-Seconds-Impact-Peter-Burkill/dp/1449088589/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337324933&sr=8-1

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

[...]

A 2 second search of his name into amazon brought the book up, it would have taken you less time to do that then post here ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thirty-Seconds-Impact-Captains-Flight/dp/1449088589/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337326571&sr=8-1

Alex Ridge

A 2 second search of his name into amazon brought the book up, it would have taken you less time to do that then post here ;)

http://www.amazon.co...37326571&sr=8-1

What is your point? I was making the information easily available to anyone who might be interested.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

What is your point? I was making the information easily available to anyone who might be interested.

Mike, I wasn't addressing you as I didn't quote your post.

Alex Ridge

Mike, I wasn't addressing you as I didn't quote your post.

My mistake!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2