Sign in to follow this  
GunnDawg09

TrackIR 5 help pls

Hello

This link is to a tutorial on setting up the v4 software but the same principals apply in v5 regarding the curves.

http://www.mission4t...op=show&kid=384

Grab some profiles from here and see how they differ regarding the curves:

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=38618#Post38618

And the main TrackIr 5 support forum:

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/ubbthreads.php?Cat=0&C=2

If you are using the Trackclip then set the Trackir off to the side of your monitor.

If using the hat clip then center the TrackIr on the monitor.

If using a widescreen monitor then set WideViewAspect=True in your FSX.cfg and the set up your seating position for each aircraft in its Aircraft.cfg in the views section

[Views]

eyepoint = 4.3, -1.20, 3.35

Or buy EZdok http://www.flight1.c...oduct=ezdockcam

This will allow you to use the keyboard to move and save your seat position, a facility that was lost in the move to FSX.

Hello

This link is to a tutorial on setting up the v4 software but the same principals apply in v5 regarding the curves.

http://www.mission4t...op=show&kid=384

Grab some profiles from here and see how they differ regarding the curves:

http://forum.natural...38618#Post38618

And the main TrackIr 5 support forum:

http://forum.natural...s.php?Cat=0&C=2

If you are using the Trackclip then set the Trackir off to the side of your monitor.

If using the hat clip then center the TrackIr on the monitor.

If using a widescreen monitor then set WideViewAspect=True in your FSX.cfg and the set up your seating position for each aircraft in its Aircraft.cfg in the views section

[Views]

eyepoint = 4.3, -1.20, 3.35

Or buy EZdok http://www.flight1.c...oduct=ezdockcam

This will allow you to use the keyboard to move and save your seat position, a facility that was lost in the move to FSX.

I do infact have EZDok.

I got a hat clip and position the TrackIR on top of my 40" LED TV, I find it too high as it loose the tracking when I look down. Then I try position on my desk, this time when I try to look up it looses tracking...

Guess I should get a smaller monitor in order to make full use of the gadget. :sad:

I find it too high as it loose the tracking when I look down.

Hello

I angle mine slightly downward, just make sure the three green dots are centered on the camera view screen.

Hello

I angle mine slightly downward, just make sure the three green dots are centered on the camera view screen.

Acutally, it isn't all that important that reflectors are precisely centered, but angle towards the ir-camera can't be too steep, or you are eating up your available movement space. Angling of the camera isn't solution if the axis is too steep, because camera sees reflectors in wrong relative angle, that is triangle is "compressed" if camera is too high or low from the reflector level. It is still possible that software sees reflector in the middle if only camera is pointed towards reflector, but TrackIR isn't working properly due the aformentioned reason. Optimally reflector and camera are precisely at the same level and pointing straight towards each other.

You angle the reflector (hat) up to the receiver and vice versa, I do this all the time and it works just as well as having both at the exact same level, because technically they are at the same level, its just a slightly offset angle compared to your eyes line of sight with the display.

Cheers, Andy.

Optimally reflector and camera are precisely at the same level and pointing straight towards each other.

Hello

That would be ideal, but we live in an age of very large displays, so what is the solution when putting the TrackIR on top of a 40"-42" display ?

Even on my relatively small 27" display the camera is slightly higher than the Trackclip but it all works fine with it angled down a few degrees.

Maybe a problem with the Hat clip and TrackIr V3 but there seems more leeway with the Trackclip and V5

Hello

That would be ideal, but we live in an age of very large displays, so what is the solution when putting the TrackIR on top of a 40"-42" display ?

Even on my relatively small 27" display the camera is slightly higher than the Trackclip but it all works fine with it angled down a few degrees.

Maybe a problem with the Hat clip and TrackIr V3 but there seems more leeway with the Trackclip and V5

I wouldn't ever buy a 40-42" telly for normal desktop use, it is way too large and at FullHD resolution pixels are terribly large and colours get distorted due the viewing angle. I have seen those in use as people wanted to get overkill big screen with cheap price and bought some stupid TV on their desktop. Every time, they look just terrible and also add huge input lag. Completely ridicilous solution IMO. If I'd have to choose a 500€ display for my computer I could pick either a good 24-27" IPS/MPVA or some 40"+ telly, I wouldn't hesitate a second to go with the first one, unless my distance to display is at least several feets like it is in normal TV use. And in that case TrackIR usage wouldn't be a problem if distance isn't too big. Much better solution to get large screen area is to use several regular displays to get more horizontal pixels and thus a good wideview, not some cheap telly LCD-panel one to two feet from your nose which doesn't add anything but screen area compared to regular sized monitors. Or then just get some pro or prosumer 30" single display.

Monitors desgined for desktop use stop pretty much at 30" even for professional image processing and design and everything above that is for lobby and presentation use. Even those 30" displays have a lot higher resolution just because the pixel density for that size on desktop at FullHD is way too low. And panels are 10 times better on those monitors than on some cheap TVs. Even regular cheap consumer computer displays have higher grade electronics in them compared to cheap TV-sets and things like input lag have been in consideration with computer monitor design.

About proper size for desktop monitor for TrackIR operation, I have 27" display and although camera is bit higher on the monitor, It works just fine. Optimal doesn't mean the same that requirement for operation does. I don't blame track IR because it is in no way practical to use some 40" display aimed for consumers (=telly) at desktop (I am just assuming most regular consumers here don't have some 3000+ pixel special 40" monitor on their desktop, and even If they'd have they are by no means a mass consumer product which you suggested and represent just a fraction of the market).

Hello

WILDHEART3003 only wanted to know the best solution to his problem with TrackIR and his 40" display.

I offered the solution that I use with much success, that of setting the camera angled downward slightly.

Now that you have pointed out the folly of that suggestion, maybe you could use your expertise on matters TrackIR to point him in the right direction.

Despite being on my third TrackIR unit, I bow to your greater technical knowledge and hear-by leave WILDHEART3003 in you capable hands.

Cheers

Hello

WILDHEART3003 only wanted to know the best solution to his problem with TrackIR and his 40" display.

I offered the solution that I use with much success, that of setting the camera angled downward slightly.

Now that you have pointed out the folly of that suggestion, maybe you could use your expertise on matters TrackIR to point him in the right direction.

Despite being on my third TrackIR unit, I bow to your greater technical knowledge and hear-by leave WILDHEART3003 in you capable hands.

Cheers

Oh please... Little overreacting here, are we?

I just told facts why some big televisions are poor computer displays, just because YOU pointed out some people using them on their desktop. My point of view was just to give Idea why people should stick with proper monitors if viewing distance is on normal desktop limits. TrackIR getting in bad angle using some oversized TV in front of your nose just seems to be one reason more not to use those at all. Perhaps you can instead point out why it is such a great idea to use such oversized display versus putting same amount of money to a proper 27-30" quality IPS monitor?

Perhaps there is no answer to WILDHEART3003's problem if situation is the way it is. Only possibility might be to try to locate camera to somewhere to the side of the display, but that may of course cause problems in sideways movement, but I would at least try it.

OP - download the "Seth - Flight" profile from the naturalpoint forums... It's what made me keep TrackIR and now I couldn't fly without TIR5.

In addition to that be familiar with your recenter viewpoint key - you'll have to do it once in a while.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

speak for yourself mate, I have used 42" and 47" screens with TrackIR and it's pure bliss on my setup, would never go smaller now. Sure if you buy a peice of junk LCD sceen it will look bad, nowaday's you can get a good name brand LCD and LED screens cheap.

Rob Prest

speak for yourself mate, I have used 42" and 47" screens with TrackIR and it's pure bliss on my setup, would never go smaller now. Sure if you buy a peice of junk LCD sceen it will look bad, nowaday's you can get a good name brand LCD and LED screens cheap.

I don't mind at all what kind of panel anyone is using. If you like those, that's good. The fact is that pretty much all TV-displays are cheap TN panels even if it is marketed with having LEDs as backlighting. TN panel means simply that you get bad color distortion looking the screen from near distance or otherwise from steep angle. Second fact is big input lag with many of the TV-sets, which is usually addressed at least some level with even cheapest computer monitors. Third and worst IMO is the low pixel count per square inch/cm which makes looking those big 1980x1080 screens from near a terrible experience. There is a reason why 30" computer monitors have 2560x1440 or similar resolution and IPS or PVA panel displays cost more than TNs: they are superior in any way starting from black levels to the contrast ratio and viewing angles.

I bet most of the people telling how good IQ their TNs have, have never used a good IPS/PVA screen. I don't have yet good display either, but I'm planning to get one. 700€ to good monitor versus same amount to TV-based TN screen is no option for me.

That is just enough for this offtopic for me. And I'm sorry if I agitated someone as that was really not my intention.