Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Virgin Atlantic To Allow Cellphones In Flight

so is it people using cell phones or on board phone systems? If it was sell phones its not Virgin's say if they can be used....is it not ICAO law that you cant use phones on commercial pax flights?

I agree it could get pretty annoying but if only 6 people can use the system at a time and its in a different area it might not be so bad.

But people arent just going to use it in "

exceptional situations" lol theyll use it for whatever reason

:Liar:

lee

nevermind guess i was wrong

"Dubai-based Emirates became the first carrier to allow passengers to use their personal cell phones back in 2008. A handful of other airlines in the Middle East including Oman Air and Royal Jordanian now have similar services."

lee

Not a big deal. They have had phones on planes for a very long time now. So now they are allowing 6 people at once to use a cell phone at once. Most people just text anyways these days.

Remember Virgin is an airline and a cell phone company so this comes as no surprise they did this first.

Matthew Kane

Good luck with that, over Britain at any rate. You can't get a reliable signal on an intercity train for any length of time here, and not just in tunnels where you'd obviously expect not to.

I don't think that would be a problem as presumably the macro/micro cell would be on board the aircraft itself. The reason why it's patchy on trains is because you are trying to connect to the fixed network, not anything based on the train itself.

Great, an eight hour transatlantic flight sat next to some dipstick gabbing on his blessed phone :mad:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Great, an eight hour transatlantic flight sat next to some dipstick gabbing on his blessed phone :mad:

Gaaa. You're right. My wife is one of those people who has difficulty hearing, so she shouts into her cell phone. (Yes, I realize the inherent absurdity of this behavior.) I have to shush her in the car.

I don't think that would be a problem as presumably the macro/micro cell would be on board the aircraft itself. The reason why it's patchy on trains is because you are trying to connect to the fixed network, not anything based on the train itself.

Yes of course with a satellite link from the aircraft drop-out wouldn't be a problem. Oh well, I suppose we'll all have to get used to "I'm on the plane!" chatter that can't be avoided. :Shocked:

At least trains have quiet coaches where mobiles aren't allowed.

Well yes, you'd assume they would do that on their aircraft as well otherwise they may well alienate a portion of customers. Having said that most airlines don't really care about cattle class because of the small revenue it generates and I suspect it would be very popular in business so who knows?

To be honest, somebody talking quietly into a mobile doesn't bother me too much, it's the shouters that irritate. The bane of long flights for me is crying babies, and the kid in the seat behind mine who keeps kicking the back of my seat.

Incidentally, very efficient earplugs can be made by chewing a bit of Kleenex and shoving it in your ears. This works much better than the rubber earplugs you can buy Talking%20Ear%20Off.gif

Bio Ears are the way to go if you've not heard of them :)

NYC subway trains in general now have very good cell service on major routes, including in tunnels. All areas are scheduled to be covered by 2016

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

NYC subway trains in general now have very good cell service on major routes, including in tunnels. All areas are scheduled to be covered by 2016

Good. Those who need to be on their cell phones for the whole trip can take the subway across the Atlantic.