Sign in to follow this  
Air1

Detail,Detail,Detail

I landed at the Very Long Baseline Array site on the side of Mauna Kea. I then ran all the way ( about 5 miles ) up the road to the Observatory Domes to have a look around. What detail with all the buildings, what a view of the surrounding area. But then I did not feel like hiking all the way down to the RV so I conjured up a Maule out of thin air and fly off into the sunset. A very short field takeoff and down hill to pick up flying speed.

Steve A

... But then I did not feel like hiking all the way down to the RV so I conjured up a Maule out of thin air and fly off into the sunset. A very short field takeoff and down hill to pick up flying speed.

Dang I wish I'd known that trick earlier! There were a couple of times I went on Aerocache hiking expeditions and had a b*tch of a time finding my aircraft afterwards. :LMAO:

Dang I wish I'd known that trick earlier! There were a couple of times I went on Aerocache hiking expeditions and had a b*tch of a time finding my aircraft afterwards. :LMAO:

LOL

You can ALWAYS bring up the map (well, not during jobs and missions) and go to the hangar to pick a plane (also the one you left behind earlier on) and/or move yourself elsewhere (no real need for a short field takeoff either). It saves quite some time walking... :wink:

Wait...I feel dumb....

How do you conjure up a plane on the ground? When I go to my map into the freeflight section and move a plane around, I always begin in the air.

Only other way I know is to 'take-off' from an aiport. Is there a way in free flight to produce a plane on the ground?

Wait...I feel dumb....

Don't feel dumb, I was about to ask the same question - glad you beat me to it!

:smile:

After you land and exit the aircraft, walk to a different location and exit free flight. Start freeflight again and the aircraft will appear where you were last standing on the ground. Very nice when you get lost and can't find where you parked the dang thing. Oh yes, when you are out of freeflight you can also go the hanger and change aircraft, add fuel or whatever. Have fun.

Last time I landed to get an Aerocache, I misjudged the distance and had to walk for about 10 minutes (use Shift + right mouse click to Run!). Now, I try to get them by kamikaze diving! :LMAO:

Great pictures, amazing detail, and all the landmarks are like that. Incredible attention to detail.

Best regards.

Luis

You can also use the "Summon Airplane" trick for a simulated pushback if you taxi too close to an obstacle and can't turn around... Just get out, walk to where you want your plane to be, face in the direction you want the nose pointing, and open the hangar menu to pick your plane.

I found that I can run by pulling the triger on my joystick as I push forward to walk. The triger normally is used for the brakes when in the aircraft.

After you land and exit the aircraft, walk to a different location and exit free flight. Start freeflight again and the aircraft will appear where you were last standing on the ground. Very nice when you get lost and can't find where you parked the dang thing. Oh yes, when you are out of freeflight you can also go the hanger and change aircraft, add fuel or whatever. Have fun.

Funny how people define things differently. When you said 'exit free flight' I thought you meant 'go to the main menu'. But the last sentence shows you meant what I would call 'go to the map'. When I go to the map (which I always do with M) I don't have the idea I have exited the flight: with one press of M I am back in the plane again, almost instantly. :wink: I only 'exit the flight' when I go to the main menu or exit the game altogether.

BTW One of the things I like very much about Flight is how easy you can get to the map and all the options and back again to the game by just pressing M. It's fast and easy and awesome!

Thanks Air1 for bringing this to my attention.

Now if I could just get this pesky job finished for the day, I could get get home and try this out!

One of my group flying buddies (Wingman Tingly) came up with an in-game way of backing up with the RV-6:

1. Parking Brake ON
  2. Throttle FULL
  3. Mixture OFF (full lean)
  4. Parking Brake OFF

Do steps 3 & 4 quickly. Once you get the timing right, the RV will back up around 2-3 plane lengths.