Sign in to follow this  
Air1

Detail,Detail,Detail

Lol, nose strut compression recoil?

Mmmm, could be. :smile:

I haven't gotten it to work on any of the other cockpit planes. One guy tried it the other night on one of the warbirds and immediately flipped it on its nose. :LMAO:

Well, it wouldn't work on any tail-dragger.

Notice how going to high-power with brakes set causes the nose to dip a bit? The thrust, with no other reaction available due to the brakes, pushing forward on the nose gear causes the shock absorber to compress slightly. The plane is trying to pivot vertically around the braked main gear, but a planet is getting in the way.

Suddenly releasing that forward pressure by killing the engine, combined with simultaneously releasing the brakes could account for that bit of pushback as the shock absorber rebounds.

How do you set the brake in the RV-6? I have yet to find it.

and also - why walk to get aerocaches? Ive only found about two that I had to get out of my aircraft for. Of course walking does give you a better view and I did get a careless award while trying to get one particular set of falls. but its fun trying to get a cache thats five feet off the ground and nestled between buildings and trees while doing 140knots :)

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

and also - why walk to get aerocaches? Ive only found about two that I had to get out of my aircraft for. Of course walking does give you a better view and I did get a careless award while trying to get one particular set of falls. but its fun trying to get a cache thats five feet off the ground and nestled between buildings and trees while doing 140knots :)

RV-6 brake: you can only set it with a key shortcut (Shift-X). Unfortunately...

I never walk for any aerocache: I simply fly straight at it and when I have it and am 1 second away from a fatal crash, I press M and reposition myself elsewhere on the map. :wink:

You don't even really have to set the parking brake to try the pushback trick... simply hold the regular brakes button and you will get the same effect. Just don't accidentally release them at high-power unless you want to "go for a ride."

I walked to a couple of "hard" aerocaches early on, but soon mastered semi-suicidal dives and got the rest by air. I do wish I'd gotten a video of when I rolled inverted just above a mountain peak, then dove straight down the face of a waterfall to get one, actually smacking tree limbs on the pull-out and nearly tumbling out of control before recovering and flying away. That was fun!

I first did the walkabout method while going for one of the waterfalls on Kauai, and was really impressed with the scenery (holy sheep dip those mountains are steep...) Strolling up those valleys was really cool.

Of course, I also enjoy screaming around between trees, buildings, through hangars, under bridges, under awnings... :biggrin:

never walk for any aerocache: I simply fly straight at it and when I have it and am 1 second away from a fatal crash, I press M and reposition myself elsewhere on the map.

Ahh man, that's just wrong!!

:smile:

Translation = now why didn't I think of that...

holy sheep dip those mountains are steep...

When I was a child and drew pictures of mountains, they were all vertical sides and sharp, pointy tops. Then I grew up and saw real mountains, and knew those childish drawings were pretty bad.

Then I went to Hawaii and found those mountains I used to draw as a kid!

Ahh man, that's just wrong!!

:smile:

Translation = now why didn't I think of that...

LOL

RV-6 brake: you can only set it with a key shortcut (Shift-X). Unfortunately...

I never walk for any aerocache: I simply fly straight at it and when I have it and am 1 second away from a fatal crash, I press M and reposition myself elsewhere on the map. :wink:

J Van E - Thanks. I looked all over that aircraft and never could find the brake.

You don't even really have to set the parking brake to try the pushback trick... simply hold the regular brakes button and you will get the same effect. Just don't accidentally release them at high-power unless you want to "go for a ride."

I walked to a couple of "hard" aerocaches early on, but soon mastered semi-suicidal dives and got the rest by air. I do wish I'd gotten a video of when I rolled inverted just above a mountain peak, then dove straight down the face of a waterfall to get one, actually smacking tree limbs on the pull-out and nearly tumbling out of control before recovering and flying away. That was fun!

RoboRay - This is exactly how I found out how maneuverable the RV-6 (and apparently me) was. grammar. HAH! but yeah....I was trying to get this one set of falls and I just missed it and was headed for the mountainside so I pulled straight up and then arched it over and fell straight back down and the air started buffeting the wings and the roar picked up and I swooped in and got the cache and made it out alive...it was FUN.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I never walk for any aerocache: I simply fly straight at it and when I have it and am 1 second away from a fatal crash, I press M and reposition myself elsewhere on the map.

:LMAO:

Very good Jeroen - never thought of that!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...