Sign in to follow this  
andrew222

ENB files cause crash :-(

Just curious to see if anyone else has problems with Prepar3d crashing while using the additional ENB files in the root folder?

At first I thought ENB wasn't working until I minimized the window and then maximized and then it started up. Looked great and way better than the default lighting. All was fine until I went to look at the map while flying then just got a black screen. Did quite a few tests and the crash starts when ever I choose something from the top left menu bar (change weather, change aircraft etc). If I just fly and don't touch the menu then no crash and beautiful lighting

Taking the two files out the root folder and the crashing was removed.

I know the simple solution would be to 'don't use emb or don't access the menu' but it looks so good and I've noticed a few screen shots on this forum with enb used some it must work correctly

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Andrew

Hi,

My understanding is that ENB is not compatible with P3D. Does anyone know if shade is compatible with P3D?.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

P3D doesnt like accessing the menus at all! Specially for addons in the addons menu. I get locks and CTD's constant.

From LM today.

I believe we have found and fixed the problem most of you are having. It will be in the next patch. For those that are curious, we were testing out some features that spawn large numbers of sim objects and found that the temporary menu item IDs created for sim object camera views were not being properly released. The temp ID range is fairly large ( about 1800), but once this many sim objects views have been created and destroyed, the menu system will crash.

As for add-on content, we had a crash-on-shut-down bug in 1.2 which was fixed in 1.3. If the menus are crashing on some add-ons and not others, this is likely a problem with the add-on. The add-on menus have a callback pointer assigned by the add-on which may be invalid, or the add-on may be attempting to make direct calls into the p3d dlls (which is not supported as we don't release our headers).

All was fine until I went to look at the map while flying then just got a black screen. Did quite a few tests and the crash starts when ever I choose something from the top left menu bar

Andrew, you may want to look at the menus.dll error thread, they may be related. LM released a statment today mostly good but not great :) Still going to require vendors to make their software compatible.

Many thanks for the replies.

ENB does actually work and looks really nice (not as sterile) once you've minimized and then restored the P3D window so perhaps the issue is related to this menus.dll so hopefully the update will fix it.

I purchased 'Shade' the day before I installed P3D but couldn't seem to get it working. Will try again tonight.

Doesn't that menus.dll error look uncanningly familiar as in the UIautomation thing?:) I havn't tried shade yet. I'm very hsitant about adding anything that requires menu intervention. Same reason I am very hesitant about abandoning FSX all together. I know when I try to access the PMDG MD11 or Level D addon menus/ configurator, it crashes P3D almost everytime. I suppose the reason the NGX works so will is its not calling up the menu. The configurations are all in the FMC. Perhaps them guys are ahead of the curve?

P3D doesnt like accessing the menus at all! Specially for addons in the addons menu. I get locks and CTD's constant.

From LM today.

I believe we have found and fixed the problem most of you are having. It will be in the next patch. For those that are curious, we were testing out some features that spawn large numbers of sim objects and found that the temporary menu item IDs created for sim object camera views were not being properly released. The temp ID range is fairly large ( about 1800), but once this many sim objects views have been created and destroyed, the menu system will crash.

As for add-on content, we had a crash-on-shut-down bug in 1.2 which was fixed in 1.3. If the menus are crashing on some add-ons and not others, this is likely a problem with the add-on. The add-on menus have a callback pointer assigned by the add-on which may be invalid, or the add-on may be attempting to make direct calls into the p3d dlls (which is not supported as we don't release our headers).

This statement from the P3D team reiterate what they have been saying all the time: 3rd party developers must use simconnect to talk to P3D. Direct calls to the program are not supported, nor will be and may turn the software unstable. More so since unlike FSX, P3D is in constant development with upgrades and patches released every now and then.

Ok, I can live without ENB/Shade for now. It'll be working at some point down the line as the effect looks too good to leave out.

To be honest I'm just happy with P3D running as smoothly as it does while I'm trying to get my head round simulated flying lessons. I used to be really interested in flying a couple of years ago but got so fed up with FSX crashing I eventually gave up and the yoke, pedals, Track IR etc went back into their boxes.

Opened the boxes again last week and happily following tutorials when I get the time.

Need to get in a real Cessna 152 soon though and see if I enjoy the real thing :shok:

Andrew

I have had enb working since the beginning, with the odd DX9.DLL error, but it works great and looks great.

When I get crashes it is usually due to an aircraft I have added, the Carenado ones are particularly bad. I know there's a fix, but it doesn't restore my sim to complete stability so I can live without them.

But I love that I can swap from windowed to fullscreen without any problems in P3d. I only wish EXDok would work out of the box without having to activate it.

Just curious to see if anyone else has problems with Prepar3d crashing while using the additional ENB files in the root folder?

At first I thought ENB wasn't working until I minimized the window and then maximized and then it started up. Looked great and way better than the default lighting. All was fine until I went to look at the map while flying then just got a black screen. Did quite a few tests and the crash starts when ever I choose something from the top left menu bar (change weather, change aircraft etc). If I just fly and don't touch the menu then no crash and beautiful lighting

Taking the two files out the root folder and the crashing was removed.

I know the simple solution would be to 'don't use emb or don't access the menu' but it looks so good and I've noticed a few screen shots on this forum with enb used some it must work correctly

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Andrew

Hey guys.

Try unloading Precision X software for GTX card - if you have it installed. This caused my issues. Works fine. Took me days to issolate the fix. enjoy :)

Thanks

Rob (Tech)

Video driver software doesn't like playing along side the d3d9.dll apparently. I can crash it on command.