Sign in to follow this  
ARCO

New computer, new FSX user (and not a happy one so far...)

New rig I7 3770K, 8GB RAM, NVidia GTX 680 2GB, HDD 10'000RPM, Windows 7 64 and... loads of CTD!!! Not been able to complete ONE flight in three days after going through a three-day detailed setup making sure that I would have my cfg file evaluated by Bojote on line, all recommended settings from PMDG (I bought the 737 NGX), but - very frankly - I already regret my FS9!

First my PFC USB hardware yoke and pedals get "disconnected" every now and then during taxi, that never happened to me before, making this phase utterly unpleasant (apparenrtly nothing PFC can do about), then each time I go to the FSX menu for an additional tuning, I cannot get back to FS anymore, black screen (sound is OK though...), clearly a graphic problem.

I tried a number of advices from experienced simmers but as of tonight, I had my seventh attempt aborted after twenty minutes because I had to go to FSUIPC to amend a setting...

Having read these threads I realise that I am not alone but this is no consolation after having spent this amount of money! Could anyone kindly offer some advice as to how to get FSX behave as it should please?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Jean-Claude

Guest firehawk44

Having read these threads I realise that I am not alone but this is no consolation after having spent this amount of money! Could anyone kindly offer some advice as to how to get FSX behave as it should please?

Sorry to hear you're have so many problems with such a nice system! With your system, you really do not need the Bojote 'tweaks' except the HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the Graphics section. That could help clear up your black screen. Black screens can also be caused by too high settings where FSX just can't get enough resources. I would Google 'black screen fsx' and you'll see all the people with this common problem. Your page file/virtual memory setting may be causing the problem too. I found that 'System Managed Size' works best for FSX and many computer experts across the Internet recommend this setting with Windows 7. In previous operating systems, tweaking a setting of your own worked the best. You should read the article pinned in the Hardware forum by Word Not Allowed which provides valuable tips for setting up FSX (a link to it is pinned in the FSX forum). There's the other excellent article, Setting up FSX and Tuning It, by NickN, one of the computer guru's who also developed GEX. There's several links to that in other posts in this forum. You might have already seen these articles but mentioning them to make sure. You need to look into your System Event Viewer to see what module or file caused your crash. If the Exception Code 0xc0000005, Memory_Access_Violation, is present, then you need to track down the cause of it. Most likely though it is caused by memory overheating, wrong frequency, timings, and/or voltages. Your CPU voltage could too high or too low. Not sure if you overclocked though as you did not indicate this in the OP. I had several CTD's/BSOD's after I built my current system and overclocked. I ran stability testing and it all passed. But, when I ran FSX, a BSOD. Not all the time, just occasionally. I tracked it down using the free Blue Screen Viewer. It was my memory settings. Since I fixed those settings I have not seen a crash except the infamous g3d.dll error which was fixed, in part, with the latest FSUIPC. That's about the only advice I can give you as there really is no 'magic bullet' or whatever that will fix your issue. However, I have excellent FPS and graphics with modest FSX settings. Here are two sections of my FSX.cfg that I consider important - Graphics, Traffic Manager, and Terrain as indicated below. I also have my FPS set to Unlimited. Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jim

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500672

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672

D3D10=0

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

NUM_LIGHTS=8

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

AC_SELF_SHADOW=1

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

IMAGE_QUALITY=0

See_Self=1

Text_Scroll=1

HIGHMEMFIX=1

[TrafficManager]

AirlineDensity=40

GADensity=10

FreewayDensity=10

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=0

LeisureBoatsDensity=0

IFROnly=0

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=1

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=100

MESH_RESOLUTION=24

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=27

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5 //setting used just for Orbx/FTX scenery; usually off or set to normal)

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_EFFECTS=6

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1000

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=800

Thank you Jim. This was very helpful indeed. I spend my whole afternoon doing tweaks mostly from Word Not Allowed's paper and I could - for the first time - complete a flight on my NGX. I now need to tackle the over clocking bit as my frame rates were horrible in heavy sceneries such as Aerosoft LFPO and EDDM, a nice slide show would describe it adequately! With such performance with the latest hardware, I cannot help but wonder on what computers FSX was developed seven years ago!!!

Best regards,