Sign in to follow this  
denver69

Having major issues now

I am super bummed. Like an idiot I tried to get enb to work and have really screwed up my fsx. I have taken all enb associated files out of FSX and am still getting black screens and fatal error ctd's that enb started. I have since totally scrubbed the driver of my system and deleted every single nvidia folder even from the registry and reinstalled the 296.10 driver again. I was having full stability with this driver and since my enb escapade am now not.

The black screen comes and then recovers back to FSX. It will do that once every 15 minutes but then eventually black screen to a fatal error ctd.

The black screen throws this in the event log:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered

This started happening with enb but with enb I would have to open the task manager for it to recover, now it does it on its own. It is only black for 2 seconds.

I cannot use the sim like this because it will eventually crash. Here is the eventlog from the crash

NvXDSync.exe 7.17.12.6099 4cb9d6d6 NVXDBat.dll 7.17.12.6099 4cb9d681 c0000005 000000000001d5e7 4e4 01cd3778e860a85e C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\NvXDSync.exe C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\NVXDBat.dll 308a4374-a36c-11e1-8fab-14dae93907bd

This is a new one

Last night like an idiot I tried the new beta driver and got 6fps so I did a "clean install" of my original 296.10. I finally gave up on enb but now still have these crashes! So I thought I had a bunk install back to 296.10 so I just did a real clean install as stated at the beginning of this post. When I did this last driver install I got an installer error from the nvidia installer. I had to reboot and then installed again and I thought it repaired the installation because it took 1/4 of the time to do it. The first time the driver installed it took way longer than usuall probably because i had deleted every single reference to nvidia on my system. Should I have done this? Why did I get this error on the install? Should I wiper it clean again or are there some things I should not delete?

Thanks allot.

Actually I think I posted the wrong ctd eventlog.

fsx.exe 10.0.61472.0 475e17d3 unknown 0.0.0.0 00000000 c0000005 cccccccc f30 01cd376f3f81de52 E:\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe unknown 6dee6013-a36a-11e1-aed3-14dae93907bd

I think this was it instead.

The other one I think was me trying to delete those 2 files when they were running in the process tree. I stopped them and deleted them. This was all recomended to me by someone and maybe I should not install drivers that way. I thought it was the only correct way to do it.

Fingers crossed I went back to 290.53 and all is good so far. We will se if I make it to Quito. Mus of been a bad insall. I allways just do the "clean install" over the existing driver. Nvidia says you can do it this way now. But I got this idea to do it "right" the old schools way to see if that would fix this issue and it did not, I still had the same issue. Since it has been out the 296.10 driver has been great, no problems untill I tried to get enb to work again. enb should not do anyhing to any windows files so I do not know why I had the same issue after removing it. With the 290.53 driver I have in now I just installed it over the 296.10 driver and so far so good. Weird.

Nope just got 2 blackscreens and recoveries. Waiting for the crash anytime now. I am at a loss for what to do now. A reinstall would take days. I do not think that will solve anything anyway. All I know is everything was perfect before I started messing with ENB and trying that new beta driver.

Would this mod change any driver files or FSX files? I do not see how that can happen but there are no ENB related anything in my FSX folder.

Also I am using the exact same NvInspector settings and the PMDG VC is terrible with jaggies and shimmers. It is anti-aliased but for the same setting 8xS(4x2) it is worse for some reason.

Guest firehawk44

"Mus of been a bad insall. I allways just do the "clean install" over the existing driver."

I was just getting ready to recommend uninstalling the display drivers and reinstalling them again. This use to be a common error back in 2006 with XP OS's. Things get corrupted sometimes. The reasons why you uninstalled ENB is exactly the same reasons I uninstalled it. That d3d dll was conflicting with my system. The way I uninstall display drivers is by going into the Device Manager, clicking on Display Adapters, opening the driver tab, then clicking uninstall. It will then ask you whether or not you want to delete all drivers from your system and you check the box and it does a complete wipe out of all display drivers. Now run the installation of the new drivers.

"Nope just got 2 blackscreens and recoveries. Waiting for the crash anytime now. I am at a loss for what to do now. A reinstall would take days. I do not think that will solve anything anyway. All I know is everything was perfect before I started messing with ENB and trying that new beta driver."

What were you doing when you got the 2 blackscreens? If there was a CTD, make sure you check the Event Viewer. If the Nvidia file is displayed again as the cause, then you'll have to do another uninstall/reinstall. Make sure you removed the ENB.ini from your main fsx directory and make sure you deleted that d3d dll.

"Also I am using the exact same NvInspector settings and the PMDG VC is terrible with jaggies and shimmers. It is anti-aliased but for the same setting 8xS(4x2) it is worse for some reason."

You have to reset your NvInspector settings everytime you reinstall the display drivers. At least that happens with me.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim. All the details of the event log are above. One for the driver stopped responding and then recovered and one for the fatal error. Which appear to be driver related. My hunch is I had or have a bad driver install for a while that enb just made "stick out". I think the new nvidia driver installers really suck. I have been reading allot about them this afternoon. I followed a real good guide I found from EVGA forums and dumped the driver again and installed it doing allot of things that Nvidia says you do not NOW have to do (there is no documentation either) but apparently you may have to.

The guide is definitely worth a read, here it is.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372&mpage=1

I ended up disabling the way windows installs its VGA but ended up needing that to get the nvidia installer to work. Either that or by disabling my internet connection (to keep windows from finding an nvidia driver and installing it for me after the reboot). It was one of these 2 things that finally allowed me to install (Installer kept saying "Installer failed"). I installed the driver using clean install and only installed the physix x and driver package. Apparently the sound driver can cause major problems so it is to be stayed away from. Anyway I am very disappointed when these interface issues occur between Windows and something else that could have been taken care of by Microsoft and Nvidia for example by simple communication. I am however blaming myself for ignorance. There is allot to learn and allot of mistakes to make.

I do not know if my problem is solved yet. Only time will tell.

It could even be that ENB may work perfectly now like it was bringing out issues from along time ago about issues about the way the driver was installed. However it will be a while before I will go down that road again, if ever.

Guest firehawk44

I am however blaming myself for ignorance. There is allot to learn and allot of mistakes to make.

That's how I learned. From my mistakes and lots of research (thanks to Google and Bing!). I think it's how everyone who's not an IT Professional learns. Looks like you have already done a lot of research on the Nvidia and EVGA sites. I heard the ENB module works for many and many just love it but it took my system down and I had a lot of issues with it. So I'm happy now with just the Shade program. I think the Shade program is one of the best addons ever for FSX. Good luck and hope things work out.

Best regards,

Jim

I had 2 TDR's today. TDR stands for timeout detection and recovery. It is when the driver stopps responding and then recovers itself. I also cant get my AA to work right. 8xs looks terrible when I was using it before and it looked fine. I have to run 8xSQ now and it looks like 8xs looked before this issue but with the attendant performance hit. It seems like nothing I do solves the problem. I reinstalled this driver using all the latest information. All I know is a week ago before I started screwing with ENB all was perfect. Although in the event log I do notice A few TDR's scattered throughout each month going back to april. I also had some TDR's on occaision when browsing going all the way back to October after I first built this computer. I notice on the internet this is a very common problem with Nvidia. I am wondering if I have a bad card. I would do a system restore but I do not think that will solve the problem. Maybe it's time for that 580 I have been thinking about for a while now.

I think I will try using the latest driver from the EVGA site. Who knows but I feel all out of options.

Guest firehawk44
<br />driver stopps responding and then recovers itself<br />

Remove any overclocking to your GTX 460. A wrong overclock will cause this error 100% of the time. I fiddled with the overclocking on my 580 once and immediately got TDR's and display drivers have stopped working and have recovered. Return it to the default settings in your overclocking program. That will mess up your Nvidia Inspector settings too. If your card is set to the default settings then it's a problem with one of your overclocking settings in the BIOS. For instance, it could be a cpu voltage problem, overheating, and/or wrong memory frequency/timings/voltages. The best way to find out if one of those issues are causing the problem is to return your ASUS BIOS to the default settings (remember you can save your current profile first).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim, I have returned to stock settings a while back. The card came overclocked though. I will go the BIOS route once I see how she does. I installed the 275.33 driver last night due to a massive amount of reports on TDR's with Nvidias more recent drivers on the internet. We will see how it goes on the next flight and if it is still an issue I will start attacking the bios and hardware. The problem is that it only happens sporadically. Yesterday on a 3 hour flight I had one at 3:10 and another at 3:42 but I was at the computer the whole time preparing to depart Quito and I did not even notice them this time. The screen never went black. It could be the slightest stutter that you could mistake for an FSX stutter. So with the proper driver installation the severity has decreased dramatically but it still bothers me that they happen.

BTW I scrutinized my record of these events and they were occurring before ENB, just not as frequent. The frequency of occurrence jumped up rapidly around the time of upgrading past 275.33. I just never noticed them until I started screwing with ENB. Perhaps once I solve this issue I may be able to go the ENB route again :Thinking:

Thanks allot

Guest firehawk44

Yes, mine came overclocked too but I tried to increase a setting and immediately got the TDR/display driver warning. It's a memory issue for sure and something is starving your system of resources to run your graphics card.

Best regards,

Jim

I did a 5 hour flight today from MHTG to KSAN with no TDR, I do have a life though, I can do yardwork while the airplane is flying or even go to work! :Nerd: . However I am having the most difficult time getting the same AA I had before. Before I was running 8xS and noticed very little jagged lines and shimmering. Now 8xS looks like 4xS but even worse. Like the horizontal AA pass is not doing anything. 8xSQ is looking bearable on the FO's side displays on the NGX but barely so. 8xSQ used to yield a photo appearance to the FO's displays with almost no noticeable jagged lines and shimmering, now it is not that good at all. I decided to combine with 4xSGSS and there is no noticeable change. Before I could not really run even 8xSQ due to the performance hit but now there is no extra performance hit with even combined 4xSGSS. So this tells me the AA modes are only working in one direction, like the vertical or horizontal but not both. That is at least my conclusion anyway. I do not know what could be causing this. I am very close to doing a CMOS reset and dumping my OS and starting anew and using the excellent guide's that are out there to the letter(Noticed them after using FSX a while with this build). I think this may be the ticket. We are talking about several days of work but it may be worth it. FSX has so many possibilities it would be a shame to not have it as tuned as possible.

Guest firehawk44

I'm assuming Marc you have the same settings in the Nvidia Inspector as those suggested by Word Not Allowed in his document here on AVSIM? As I recall you deleted your FSX.cfg, restarted FSX and let the sim rebuild your config. Did you reset your filtering to Trilinear and uncheck the box for AA? I have my Antialiasing setting set to 8xS [Combined: 1.2 SS + 4X MS] and AA - Transparency Supersampling - 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling (well, the same as recommended in the Word Not Allowed document). Remember, for the settings to take effect, you have to click on Apply Changes. I've seen some posts here where people forget to apply the changes and thus do not see any changes. I'm just crossing the t's and dotting the i's....

Best regards,

Jim

I have done all that yes. The weird thing is that it is AA'ing but only so much. I swear it's like it is ramping up the vertical normally but the horizontal is nill. There is very little performance hit increase as well. I have it on 8xSQ and 4SGSS and I cannot even see the SGSS and it looks more like 4x but even worse and the performance is real good. Before I could never run that level of AA but that is obviously because it's not doing it all either. I am at a loss.

Thanks Jim but I am sort of getting exited about re-installing as per Nick's guide this time and start over a new leaf.