Sign in to follow this  
Digant C Kasundra

FPS with or without AI?

Hello everyone,

I'm enjoying seeing all the user PC specs and the FPS they are pulling down. And the screenshots all look amazing. But one thing I'm wondering is if these are with or without AI traffic. AI traffic is the only reason I'm playing FSX over XPlane-10. And I don't want to bother buying an expensive PC system if I'm still not going to get good traffic.

So, what is you FPS (and your system specs) using AI traffic (such as UT2 at 70% or more)?

I run WOAI at 100% at KATL and I get 12-15 FPS. That's acceptable on my terms, just as long as its smooth.

I run WOAI at 100% at KATL and I get 12-15 FPS. That's acceptable on my terms, just as long as its smooth.

That's pretty sweet! I'm going to try switching from UT2 to WOAI. I used to run WOAI on FS9 back in the day and I never had problems. UT2 just tanks my FPS and I'll see if this is an "AI in general" issue or related to UT2. I know people say this is an AI in general issue but I really hope it isn't. *fingers crossed*

Just to report back, I got magnificent frame rates (to at 20, only dipped 15 now and then). I did it by getting rid of Ultimate Traffic 2. I hereby declare UT2 sucks, atleast on Mac hardware. Now, if WOAI, I have cranked all my graphics settings up to MAX and have traffic to MAX and doing beautifully!

Glad everything worked out! I would recommend WOAI much more often, but the pick-your-airlines part of the program often has some people shying away, and truly does take a while to get setup

UT2 is not causing your problems. Except for a few models that have been optimized for FSX, UT2 uses many of the models you see with WofAI. The problem is the amount of traffic UT2 produces. There are sliders/options in the UT2 interface that will help you customize UT2. Have you tried setting a target frame rate in UT2 or limiting the number of aircraft spawned?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I hereby declare UT2 sucks, atleast on Mac hardware. Now, if WOAI, I have cranked all my graphics settings up to MAX and have traffic to MAX and doing beautifully!

Something to be aware of before being too hard on UT2, is that their models are fully optimised for FSX, where as WoAI are not. This means for example, you may see some WoAI A/C taxiing minus their landing gear - which gets more apparent the further they are away from your view point.

Btw, I use both WoAI and UT2 and, where possible, export over the UT2 model into WoAI so that none of the above happen.

Regards

Gary

UT2 is not causing your problems. Except for a few models that have been optimized for FSX, UT2 uses many of the models you see with WofAI. The problem is the amount of traffic UT2 produces. There are sliders/options in the UT2 interface that will help you customize UT2. Have you tried setting a target frame rate in UT2 or limiting the number of aircraft spawned?

Yeah, I tried that. With UT2 sliders down to 50%, I had about 6 planes at SFO, with graphics set to medium and was doing about 10-12 FPS. With WOAI, I have about 12 planes at SFO and graphics set to Ultra High and am doing about 15-20FPS.

Something to be aware of before being too hard on UT2, is that their models are fully optimised for FSX, where as WoAI are not. This means for example, you may see some WoAI A/C taxiing minus their landing gear - which gets more apparent the further they are away from your view point.

That's a good point. I wonder if the models are the issue. I think WOAI models are fine (I'd rather have a living environment with decent frame rate and ignore weird glitches then just have a dead environment with me and just a few other planes).

Is WOAI one step install or do I have to jump through hoops to install different parts to get them working?

I like UT2 ver much...but it takes too much of the FPS away, The cost is very very high. Even the other one My Traffic or whatchamaycallit is not any better.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Is WOAI one step install or do I have to jump through hoops to install different parts to get them working?

First you download an installer, then download individual airlines. It's a little time-consuming, but its free and looks great in the end.

I asked them if there was a way to download all the packages at once and they said no. That's a bummer, I think. I'll send a cookie to anyone that would put all the current civil and general aviation packages into a zip file for me. :)