Sign in to follow this  
738Captain

Camera movement in VC

Gents-

As stated by Kevin, and as documented in our 777 introduction (which all you 777 owners read, I'm sure... yup.  surely.  :ph34r: ) this is a well known and well documented bug in FSX.  The head position has a very slight shift that is related to heading and position on the globe and the distance of the view position from the defined model center. 

It is, quite simply, a mathematical rounding error inside FSX.  We documented this for Microsoft during beta testing of FSX but it was not fixed.

There is no fix for it.

Adam:  If you suspect that information you have learned is not factual, it is normally good form to state as such when initially presenting the information, not when you are corrected by another forum user.  Thanks.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Wouldn't it be possible to use an algorithm to fix it? I mean, we already know the view returns to the same spot every 180 degrees and that the distance from the static cg or reference datum has a direct correlation with how far the view revolves around the static view point. Maybe it can't be fixed but surely it can be made a bit better?

only for default aircraft 

go in fsx.cfg and search:

[DynamicHeadMovement]
LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000
MaxHeadAngle=5.000000
MaxHeadOffset=0.300000
HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000

bring all values to 0

CASE: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 MB: Msi Z590 Tomahawk CPU: Intel i7 11700K RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 2400 MHz COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 HD: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB GPU: Nvidia (Asus A8G) GTX 1080 PSU: Cooler Master V750 FAN: Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120 Air Flow RGB (x4).

302318.png     Lorenzo Guidotti

Totally agree with KylanWalters. If not completely fixed due to complexity of calculations involving the whole Globe, at least it could be well diminished. It's not my opinion that it's impossible, maybe just complex enough to make no one interested in researching and developing a solution, probably based on those of the "camera managers".

Anyway, no one mentioned about my question a few posts above: does P3D inherit this bug? Software engineers at LM aware and willing to resolve should it be the case?

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

only for default aircraft

The settings are the same for all aircraft, default and addon. Putting those values to zero will stop the FSX dynamic head movement for all sims, which is an improvement. However this circular motion is not dynamic head movement. It varies with heading even if the aircraft is static on the ground.

Totally agree with KylanWalters. If not completely fixed due to complexity of calculations involving the whole Globe, at least it could be well diminished. It's not my opinion that it's impossible, maybe just complex enough to make no one interested in researching and developing a solution, probably based on those of the "camera managers".

Anyway, no one mentioned about my question a few posts above: does P3D inherit this bug? Software engineers at LM aware and willing to resolve should it be the case?

The eyepoint calculations aren't complex or difficult. The problem is due to an error in the way they were implemented in FSX, and therefore in P3D.

It's not difficult to resolve, since the view motion is completely predictable. It just needs either Opus or Ezdok to devote some development time to it. As there would be no return for them I can't see that happening.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I'd buy opus or ezdok if they fixed it. It's so distracting on the 777 to the point of not flying it much now, sounds extreme but around Asia the bug is at its worst. I prefer to hand fly as much as possible, very hard to keep the focus during turns.

Agreed, Marka! I have OpusFSI already, but the ones that don't (and neither Ezdok) probably would buy any of these softwares with great satisfaction if one of them solved the issue... Thanks cloudfreak1 for the feedback! I'd really anticipate migration to P3D if it had it resolved already.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

What are you guys talking about? I've never noticed anything of the sort! :huh:

What are you guys talking about? I've never noticed anything of the sort! :huh:

Select your longest plane and put into Virtual Cockpit, the put the plane at an airport close to the Equator line (can be SBEG for instance), and now go to Slew Mode (Y key) and press the pedal to either side to start turning fast. You're gonna see what we're talking about.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

I was using the rainy weekend to do a little rearch on this topic. It apprears that there is a solution for this. I have implemented a little prototype that shows that this issue could be resolved by automatically correcting the viewpoint based on a few parameters. I have posted a video that shows the results. Maybe someone is intrested in this solution approach.

https://youtu.be/ZroSNEGPXbg

Holger Schmid

Interesting. I think ALL the FS world would be interested. How may I ask did you do it?

I did some research about different parameters and how they influence the current viewpoint. After that I was trying to model some compensation for it. It needs some calibration per aircraft being used - but this not very complex to perform. 

So far I did some testing using different locations on the globe but definitely need more testing to be done. It's just a prototype yet.

Holger Schmid

I was using the rainy weekend to do a little rearch on this topic. It apprears that there is a solution for this. I have implemented a little prototype that shows that this issue could be resolved by automatically correcting the viewpoint based on a few parameters. I have posted a video that shows the results. Maybe someone is intrested in this solution approach.

https://youtu.be/ZroSNEGPXbg

Good on you sir, that is a fantastic little prototype. I look forward to using it (freely or commercially).

Great work.