Sign in to follow this  
738Captain

Camera movement in VC

I was using the rainy weekend to do a little rearch on this topic. It apprears that there is a solution for this. I have implemented a little prototype that shows that this issue could be resolved by automatically correcting the viewpoint based on a few parameters. I have posted a video that shows the results. Maybe someone is intrested in this solution approach.

https://youtu.be/ZroSNEGPXbg

FSX HERO! :)

Alaister Kay

I was using the rainy weekend to do a little rearch on this topic. It apprears that there is a solution for this. I have implemented a little prototype that shows that this issue could be resolved by automatically correcting the viewpoint based on a few parameters. I have posted a video that shows the results. Maybe someone is intrested in this solution approach.

Outstanding job! It appears you've conquered one of the most despised FSX/P3D "features." Look forward to seeing more.

Walter Meier

I did some research about different parameters and how they influence the current viewpoint. After that I was trying to model some compensation for it. It needs some calibration per aircraft being used - but this not very complex to perform. 

So far I did some testing using different locations on the globe but definitely need more testing to be done. It's just a prototype yet.

Very well done, dude. The community can benefit greatly from this. 

Dear Holger,

What an outstanding job!!! You're just about to achieve something that is the cure for this infamous bug which irritates people for years!

I'd guess that there might be a correlation between the severity of the "movement" and the latitute of the aircraft, not sure about the longitude. So it can probably be mapped and applied accordingly.

As for the type of aircraft, again I'd guess that, in fact, it has more something to do with the distance between the main landing gear (or it might be the center point of the rotation) and the Point of View, hence if your solution could be able to determine this distance, probably the correct calculations could be applied automatically.

No matter to what extent you'll be able to work this out I am sure that even if the bug only has it's harm diminished, this is going to be a heck of a successfull product!

Once again, congratulations! And keep up the great work.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

I have moved all kinds of cameras during the flight. Ezdok 1.17 license. This effect only in 777

I'm somewhat skeptical about this after reading what Robert Randazzo has to say earlier in the thread. If, as suggested, the fix can only be made in the guts of FSX I would suggest that Dovetail or LM will probably be the ones to resolve the problem in a distributable way.

Having said this I am more than happy to take a giant piece of humble pie and eat it with good grace if I am wrong.

The ball is now in Holger's court to dispel my skepticism.

Thanks a lot for all your positive feedback (and some skeptism as well ;-). I will come up with a way on how to make this available for the communitity. However, it is one thing to develop a prototype and a completly different pair of shoes to make it available for a broader community.

I completly agree with Andy. The "right" place for a solution would be within the code of FSX itself and should be provided by Dovetail/LM. I'm not sure how their license agreements are and if they are even allowed to fix it. But that would definitly be the right way to fix this.

As there are some holidays in the coming weeks I will take some days off for vacation. But I will keep you posted on the progress I'm making - probably not on this (PMDG) forum but I will leave a link here where to continue.

For now, I will move over from ground tests to do some flight tests. I'm limited to PMDG 747-400 and the PMDG 777-200 on FSX and FSX-SE but that should be ok for now. Furthermore, it would be intresting how this approach will work together with EZdok. So far I do not have a license for it but that's a topic to keep in mind.

Holger Schmid

I'm somewhat skeptical about this after reading what Robert Randazzo has to say earlier in the thread. If, as suggested, the fix can only be made in the guts of FSX I would suggest that Dovetail or LM will probably be the ones to resolve the problem in a distributable way.

Having said this I am more than happy to take a giant piece of humble pie and eat it with good grace if I am wrong.

The ball is now in Holger's court to dispel my skepticism.

The effect is certainly caused by an error in the guts of FSX. So you can't fix the cause. But you can prevent the effect. Since the eye position can be moved under the control of addon software, a position offset can be provided that exactly compensates for for the bug.

The factors that control this movement are known (basically eyepoint distance from the model centre, heading and the cosine of latitude), so it's a matter of someone like Holger coming up with software which calculates an equal and opposite movement (with the facility to adjust this for aircraft length).

Holger's prototype looks very promising.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The effect is certainly caused by an error in the guts of FSX. So you can't fix the cause. But you can prevent the effect. Since the eye position can be moved under the control of addon software, a position offset can be provided that exactly compensates for for the bug.

The factors that control this movement are known (basically eyepoint distance from the model centre, heading and the cosine of latitude), so it's a matter of someone like Holger coming up with software which calculates an equal and opposite movement (with the facility to adjust this for aircraft length).

Holger's prototype looks very promising.

Understand Kevin - begs the question though if a fix is available why hasn't PMDG or some other developer built it into their offerings as an inducement to buy?

GE Holger...a legend in our time!...

Well done sir! Looking forward to this....

All the best

Mark

Understand Kevin - begs the question though if a fix is available why hasn't PMDG or some other developer built it into their offerings as an inducement to buy?

Well the fix isn't available yet so that's a moot point. The possibility of a fix was always there though. I've said that several times in posts over the years. Ryan did mention once that Opus were planning a fix for this but that turned out to be a fixed eyepoint offset, not much use.

i don't think a fix exclusive to one addon developer would be welcome though. It's needs to be available for all FSX and P3D users.

ki9cAAb.jpg

This would be a great achievement! Keep it up Holger. Video looks super.

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px