Sign in to follow this  
jconway2002

Terrible looking roads, even with GEX, UTX, REX installed

I am a student pilot, and a total n00b to FSX. I installed FSX, and then installed Ground Environment X, Ultimate Terrain X, and Real Environment X. My visuals now are much better than they were originally, but the roads still look terrible. They look very flat, and blurry, which makes it hard to use them as a ground reference. Also I think I have noticed a large river running where a highway should be. Is there anything I can do to improve my roads?

PS, I am interesting in recreating the area around my airport, KCRQ in So Cal, as accurately as possible.

Thanks for your help.

Guest firehawk44

You forgot FEX (Flight Environment X).... (Just kidding). I think if they were textured to make them look more realistic they would be an unnecessary frame hog. I think Ultimate Terrain did an excellent job as the default were really horrible. FTX/Orbx does a good job of displaying roads around the airports they design. You may have a layering conflict in regards to the large river running where the highway should be. I place Ultimate Terrain X down in my Scenery Library just above Propeller Objects so that other scenery loaded on top can override UTX. UTX also tells GEX, FEX, or REX what landclass to display or render. That's all I can tell you. I'm sure we have better experts here on this subject.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for the reply. I probably missed a step somewhere along the line. As I said, I am new to this...all I did was the auto install for each addon, and then ran the program once initially. I never tweaked anything inside of FSX, nor do I ever launch and run the addons before playing FSX...do I have to?

...my airport, KCRQ in So Cal, as accurately as possible.

Dang! A little earlier I was thinking about CRQ and the runway visuals when driving from eat to west on whatever that street's name was/is!

The quality of what you will see is determined by your computer's settings inside FSX and your computer itself. Some system specs and settings information would help.

There are also some threads at the Flight1 forums that are specific to setting up GEX and UTX for best visual display.

Your FSX scenery settings? If they're low they'll make the roads look blurrier/worse quality-wise

JC

Have you considered MEGASCENERY SOCAL: http://www.megascene...eneryxsocal.htm

Might give you more accuracy?

Regards

PeterH

+1

If you are going to be using FSX for VFR training you really should use PhotoReal scenery.

That Megascenery package is perfect for that sort of thing. Performance is better due to no Autogen and all your visual landmarks will be there as it is in the real world as it is using photographs as scenery.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Blue Sky has free photo real of SOCAL. you might want to take look

Jay