Sign in to follow this  
HiFly

Slow Reverse Activation

Before SP1C it seemed that NGX reverse thrusters activated correctly but now with SP1C, they will not activate until N1 has SLOWLY spooled down to N1=29.1% and only then I see the amber REV (actuating) and then a couple of seconds later green REV allowing me to increase reverse thrust by holding down F2 key. But by that time I am usually below 70K with autobrakes only and have no need for reversers! I am throttles idle at 20 agl as I flair. I immediately verify F1 then F2 as nose wheel lands and nothing happens even if I hold down F2 until N1 has SLOWLY spooled down.

I have never flown 737's. REAL WORLD NG DRIVERS: Is this the way it is supposed to work on the NG? When I see the landing videos of NG the reversers sound as if they activate right away when levers are pulled. This is how it was working before SP1C.

I have uninstalled completely and reinstalled twice but still experiencing the problem. BTW, if I do an aborted takeoff, however, they do deploy right away as they should.

If any one else has had the problem and found a solution then I invite them to enlighten me.

Hi Craig,

I have levers for thrust activation and they pretty much activate anytime I'm in idle mode. On landing I release the leavers at 60 and slow with auto and pedal brakes

I've had this quirk for a while. Try this and see if it solves your problem. On touchdown (and I mean all wheels on the ground), press F1, then press and hold F2. Sounds like your engines are still in flight idle at touchdown and when you press F2, the engines retard to ground idle then reverse.

I have the same issue, and have yet to find a way to resolve it. I think Ryan's suggestion above to use the F1 key before engaging reverse may have some merit. I do know that the delay is related to PMDG modeling a few different phases of idle thrust depending on the active flight scenario (flight, approach, and ground), and that unfortunately, FSX thinks you are on flight or approach idle when the wheels first touch down. Whereas on an aborted takeoff (or just about anytime on taxi before takeoff) you get instant reverse response because the "active" idle thrust situation is ground idle. It's either a PMDG or FSX limitation.

What I don't understand is, I've seen plenty of video evidence in these forums or youtube of other PMDG NGX pilots activating idle thrust instantaneously on touchdown, and I'm pretty sure they also have the latest SP.

Watched very carefully this time and Ryan is right. Closing throttles before touchdown ONLY brings N1 to FLIGHT IDLE and not GROUND IDLE. Never seen this in RW but again I am not familiar with RW NG. With the NGX anyway it seems that once full touchdown then F1 must either be pushed or held down until N1 further spools to GROUND IDLE before Reversers will fully deploy(?) Again, the problem is that this eats up precious runway real estate that could be critical in a reduced braking, short runway situation. Some aircraft (Concorde, for example) have no autobraking system and rely entirely on powerful reverse thrust to slow down and that means they MUST be able to deploy IMMEDIATELY on touchdown. Again, the question, is this DOUBLE throttle cutback real world in the NG?

In the real NG (taking a guess as I've never flown the NG real world either), I believe it's tied into the radio altimeters with the reversers. Basically in FSX, since between when you pull the power to idle and when ground idle would be activated, the throttles don't move I'm guessing the NGX doesn't throttle down. For example, I usually pull to idle at 100ft RA. Say ground idle activates at 10ft RA. Since there was no throttle movement, the NGX will allow the throttles to be pulled to ground idle at 10RA, but is detecting the trottles incorrectly slightly above idle position. This could be a quirk tied into manipulating FSX to give both thrust modes. Instead of changing the thrust mode, PMDG artificially put a stop for flight idle that is removed and allows the throttles to be pulled all the way back for ground idle.

In the real NG (a guess again), when the throttles are fully closed, the thrust is automatically held at the correct idle for the phase of flight. So even if the throttles are fully closed, once you pass the RA limit for ground idle, the engines automatically throttle back to the new correct idle limit.

Confusing I know, but so are the subtleties of transport catagory aircraft.

Does anyone how this can be setup on the Saytek throttle?

There is only one switch for the reversers. I would like to to be able to land at idle and simply pull the reversers and have effective ones. I had been wondering why I was getting close to no reversers after landing.

Thanks

No. It's connected to air/ground sensors on the landing gear. FCOM 14.20.7.

It would be nice if PMDG would confirm once and for all that this is an undesirable issue with the NGX. There must be some way for PMDG to program the thrust level to be at "ground" idle the instant the wheels touchdown so that we can get reverse thrust more quickly, and realistically. I'm surprised at how little I hear from other users about the long delay of reverse thrust in the NGX, aside from this topic of course, and I must say it does mar an otherwise perfect product.

In the real NG (taking a guess as I've never flown the NG real world either), I believe it's tied into the radio altimeters with the reversers. Basically in FSX, since between when you pull the power to idle and when ground idle would be activated, the throttles don't move I'm guessing the NGX doesn't throttle down. For example, I usually pull to idle at 100ft RA. Say ground idle activates at 10ft RA. Since there was no throttle movement, the NGX will allow the throttles to be pulled to ground idle at 10RA, but is detecting the trottles incorrectly slightly above idle position. This could be a quirk tied into manipulating FSX to give both thrust modes. Instead of changing the thrust mode, PMDG artificially put a stop for flight idle that is removed and allows the throttles to be pulled all the way back for ground idle.

In the real NG (a guess again), when the throttles are fully closed, the thrust is automatically held at the correct idle for the phase of flight. So even if the throttles are fully closed, once you pass the RA limit for ground idle, the engines automatically throttle back to the new correct idle limit.

Confusing I know, but so are the subtleties of transport catagory aircraft.

I thougth flight idle remained till 3 seconds after touchdown.

Bert Van Bulck

I'm surprised at how little I hear from other users about the long delay of reverse thrust in the NGX, aside from this topic of course, and I must say it does mar an otherwise perfect product.

I have it, but I hardly ever fly into limiting runways, so it is more of a nuisance. I mostly only use idle reverse anyway.

It works perfect here with my Saitek throttle Q:

ngxreverserFSUIPC.png

It works perfect here with my Saitek throttle Q:

Exactly how I have mine set up, but what does the 100 parameter do? If it speeds the decrease up, it's exactly what I've been lookin for.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

I usually turn off the auto throttle on final approach so at touchdown its certain that the throttles are at idle, the reversers deliver the power I ask for without fault.

I do pretty much the same as Airbusman, AT's are off on short final as well as AP, throttles back to idle. Reversers work consistently. I have an idle switch at the low end of each of my throttle levers to ensure idle. The idle switches are tied in to the thrust reversers and reverse action can only happen if idle switches are closed. I remember once though, there was a discussion on landing gear also affecting idle power, but the details elude me at the moment.