Sign in to follow this  
Kerberos42

Why I hate MS Flight...

...Computer games aren't supposed to be educational! (If you are a mod, you can take your finger off the ban button now!)

Take yesterdays Aerocache of the Day, the USS Utah. I've always had an interest in the Pearl Harbor attack and the pacific theater in general. I remember watching Tora, Tora, Tora with my grandfather when I was a kid and he would often explain what happened in those days. My father was a child in Honolulu on Dec 7th 1941. I visited Pearl two years ago and took in as much of the history as I could. One of the most moving experiences in my life, was visiting the Arizona Memorial, seeing the names on the wall, and watching the oil ooze up to the surface.

But I had never heard of the USS Utah, or if I had never toke note of her history or that she was at Pearl on that fateful day. One of the first casualties of the attack, her remains were left as they were, much like the Arizona. It actually took me some time to find it, as I was expecting the cache to be on the east side of Ford Island near the Arizona, I didn't realize anything was even on the west side.

After nailing the cache, I must have spent over 2 hours reading the history of the USS Utah, and the details of the various missions she was on. She had quite the colorful history. I didn't know they used full sized battleships as remote control drones. Coincidentally, I spent the weekend planning a motorcycle trip to Utah later this summer, as I cross the state line I shall say a quiet prayer for the 58 sailors lost that day aboard BB-31.

Hey, I lived on Oahu for many years before I made the visit to the Utah memorial. It doesn't get a lot of traffic, as access to the naval base is required. The ship and memorial are pretty much exactly as depicted in Flight, down to the placement of the plaques and such (if I remember correctly, anyway).

(If you are a mod, you can take your finger off the ban button now!)

:LMAO: You have no idea how close you came to me judging a book by its cover! Knowing Jeroen is sound asleep in the Netherlands, I was just about to do my duty... :aggressive: Phew! :friends:

:LMAO: You have no idea how close you came to me judging a book by its cover! Knowing Jeroen is sound asleep in the Netherlands, I was just about to do my duty... :aggressive: Phew! :friends:

I kind of maybe did that a little bit on purpose - stir the pot a bit without really stirring it. Sorry 'bout that!

I have seen the Utah Memorial from the inlet side and the Arizona from the Harbor side and oboard the Memorial. Yes, it is really something to behold. Just this week I got back from NYC where I visited the 911 Memorial Plaza. Also visited the Flight 93 Memorial in Pennsylvania. Something I will not soon forget, seeing the Freedom Towers taking their place in the NYC skyline. We Americans shure do have a lot of things to remember and be proud of. But looking around at all the sites I see many people visiting from all over this world. This is the cost of freedom and we will not forget!

Steve A

LOL! :wink: