Sign in to follow this  
FlyIce

New 1080p HMD by SiliconMicroDisplay, $799

How do you think the TrackIR normally tracks your head? This SiliconMicroDisplay (SMD) does not remove your head or stop you from moving it, it won't stop you from sitting in front of your FS PC and monitor either. You place the SMD on your head, you also place the reflectors from TrackIR on your head too just like normal, the camera as you call it (receiver/transmitter) still stays in the same place on top of your monitor, or you can move it somewhere else if you wish. I would leave it in the same location though on top of my monitor as that is where the rest of my flight sim cockpit is.

As long as the TrackIR camera (receiver) can see the tracking reflectors on top of your head, it should work the same as it would if you were using a monitor, except now the monitor (SMD) moves with your head and you don't have to track the screen with your eyes, you just continue to look straight ahead into the goggles. That is the major advantage as you don't have to look sideways with your eyes to keep the monitor in view when you turn your head to one side, or look up or down at the screen when you tilt your head up or down.

You will still be constrained by the same amount of head movement as you would have been using it with a monitor, so you won't be able to physically turn around 180 degrees in your seat for example in the real world, as the receiver would lose track of the reflectors on your head, but you are unlikely to do that anyway in FS as your joystick isn't going to go with you, lol.

I think 1080 is still a little low resolution for me, I'm used to 1920x1200 and I think I would miss that extra height in the VC.

So you propose to keep a monitor as nothing more than a receiver stand? Seems a bit of a waste to me.

There is absolutely no reason why this couldn't be used with TrackIR, use a bit of common sense please.

I totally agree.

A bit of common sense would require you to understand how the product works. Track IR is a motion capture device. It is a camera that searches for your head. How is the camera supposed to see your head when it's mounted on your head?

The TrackIR Clip would clip onto the side of these glasses.

No I propose to use my monitor as a monitor, it's not like I am going to sit wearing these things all day long and use them on the PC exclusively.

Cheers, Andy.

I totally agree.

The TrackIR Clip would clip onto the side of these glasses.

It's not about the clip, it's about the other piece that sits on top of the monitor and looks for the part that clips onto your glasses/headphones/whatever you're mounting onto your head with.

No I propose to use my monitor as a monitor, it's not like I am going to sit wearing these things all day long and use them on the PC exclusively.

I see. Well, if that's how you would use it then sure, why not. Sorry if I was a bit off-putting earlier, I shouldn't get worked up over disagreements/mis-understandings.

Cheers

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Certainly looks cool. Which HMD is he wearing? ST1080?

If so I hope he could give a good comments/review on ST1080 -- I need some help so I can finaly pull the trigger..

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Certainly looks cool. Which HMD is he wearing? ST1080?

If so I hope he could give a good comments/review on ST1080 -- I need some help so I can finaly pull the trigger..

I too was thinking about purchasing

However, the refresh rate of the device as a whole is limited by the HDMI bandwidth of 1.4a spec. The helmet is two 720p eyes and the max frame rate for 720p 3D is currently 60hz

So us 3D Vision owners are still stuck with the same crappy 720p@60hz and 1080p@24hz modes...no thanx

Using this in 3D is what I wanted to purchase it for.

Not worth $800 in my opinion.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

What field of view would it produce? ie" Like looking at a big screen tv? Be nice to see a video with what you are looking at when using the unit. Great idea if it replaces triple head as far as field of view goes.

ST1080 has a 45 degree FOV, like 100" screen at 120" away. For a 24" monitor, this is like 29" away.

I guess this FOV is decent, but far from being great. Hard to know whether the immersion factor can still be great once getting used to it, especially with the help of trackIR.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11