Sign in to follow this  
Javiz

Can it be done ?...

Can it be done ?

Fly FSX for a couple years, because of various reasons enthusiasm sinks to an all time low, install FS9 again, load it with goodies,( which, in some cases, you have to buy again ) take lower graphics quality and missing other specific FSX features for granted, and enjoy the tremendous fps, no more OOM, no more CTD, and even no more BSOD ??.....

I am trying it, so far so good !

Anyone else that has been confronted with such a decision to make ? ( and came to the conclusion that it was deffinately the right one to make ?.. )

Btw, in my case it has all to do with flying more or less complex jetliners as opposed to low and slow 'enjoy the scenery' GA touring in FSX.

Cheers,

jan

Jan

I'm doing the opposite right now and preparing FSX to be my main sim. It all depends on your specs, I would never run FSX on anything less then a I5 or I7 running at +4.5ghz minimum 4gig of fast ram and a good Nvidia card, 560TI or better, been too spoilt with a solid 30FPS in FS9 .

If your system is below that and you are having issues then FS9 is perfect for you, with REX,Active SKY, GE,UTE and a good addon aircraft FS9 can look stunning with silky smooth performance. I have way too much time invested in FS9 to ditch it completely but most of the major developers are going FSX only.

For me the PMDG 777 and 747-400V2 for FSX is going to be too good to miss, FS9 however will still remain a faithful friend that I will visit.

Rob Prest

Guest Mik75

Hi!

It is not a decision for me. I have two hard drives installed. On one I have FS9 running on Win XP, on the other one is FSX with Win Vista 64 bit. I just decide with booting up my machine which sim

to use. If I want to fly airliner with maximum reality, I choose FS9 with Leonardo SH Maddog or iFly 737 with FS2Crew. If I want GA flying over beautiful looking sceneries like ORBX, I boot up FSX. So I simply have best of both worlds!

I have FSX, FS9, X-Plane 10, and I had FLIGHT installed.Oh yeah, I had PrePar3D installed too. Why limit yourself? I reformatted the drive that had FS9/XP10/FLIGHT and I'm in the process of reinstalling FS9 along with all of its' addons. I doubt that I'll reinstall FLIGHT any time in the near future. Right now we have a lot of pretty good options as simmers.

NAX669.png

To cut a very long story short...

I have purchsed all the MS Flight Sims since FS '98 as soon as they were released, (FS '98, 2000, 2002, 2004, FSX) and got fed-up with desperately trying, and failing, to make my FSX look, and perform, anywhere near as good as my FS 2004 with all its various payware, and freeware, fantistic add-ons!

I wake up every morning, fire up my trusty FS 2004...and FS Navigator,.... and explore the marvelous scenery below me for 18 hours, problem-free, SMOOTHLY! at low level, with all my settings maxed!

I really dont wish to spend/waste all my time trying to sort out all the various problems that I see my FSX Chums suffering, every day!

I have studied all the Forums since FSX was released, and have made up my mind not do get dragged into their aggressive arguments, frustrations and disappointments!

FS 2004 is for all those Simmers looking for a Fun Flying Experience!

FSX is for all those Simmers desperate for a spot of Self-Mutilation!

...trust me... :Peace: ...!

Paul...FS 2004!.... :Bug: ...!

Jan,

Of course it can be done if you ask me. I myself have purchased FSX and even some nice addons for it (fortunately I had a lot free of charge).

Although I was more than very satisfied with the FS9 world I had thoroughly built, I really wanted to give FSX a serious try.

The reason is quite simple: as a longtime simmer being with the MFS series since the very beginning, I just had to. Big%20Grin.gif

But even though I installed FSX, purchased some addons, tweaked it in and out (it turned out you need 74576457896 tweaks to make it performing nicely, lol) and even bought a new powerful PC last autumn, I did not like the FSX experience at all. I do have it installed, because I do some beta testing for developers releasing addons for two platforms or just FSX, but I never fly it by choice. Actually for me there is no FSX addon I wouldn't have for my FS9, and the other way the list is too long to type here.

Of course I do see better ground textures in FSX and the curvature of the horizon, both of which I would like to have in my FS9, but they are nowhere close to being the decisive factors for me. And the much repeated saying that 99% developers release only FSX addons now is not true. Every month I buy or get great new addons for FS9 and there is none for FSX only on the horizon which I would desperately want to have. FS9 with all the addons I have in my collection (including the only great Airbus simulation so far - and Airbus has always been my favourite aircraft type) gives me much more satisfaction.

One more factor is I, just like you, am a heavy metal / IFR flyer. If I were the Cessna/Katana VFR type pilot, I would likely spend more time in FSX, just like Michael wrote.

But I spend most of my time at huge airports, which look similar under both platforms, and flying high where OrbX-like sceneries with 2cm resolution matter less than little.

FSX is for all those Simmers desperate for a spot of Self-Mutilation!

Hello

On an i5 or i7 Sandybridge system @ 4.5GHz FSX runs very very well, smooth with no blurry textures.

Those days of FSX running poorly have been over for a long time now.

But on older hardware it is bound to be disappointing,

Jan,

Of course it can be done. I myself have purchased FSX and even some addons for it (!).

Although I was more than very satisfied with the FS9 world I had thoroughly built, I really wanted to give FSX a serious try.

The reason was simple: as a longtime simmer being with the MFS series since the very beginning.

But even though I installed FSX, purchased some addons, tweaked it in and out (it turned out you need 74576457896 tweaks to make it performing nicely, lol) and even bought a new powerful PC last autumn, I did not like the FSX experience at all. I do have it installed, because I do some beta testing for developers releasing addons for two platforms, but I never fly it by choice. Actually for me there is no FSX addon I wouldn't have for my FS9, and the other way the list is too long to type here. Of course I do see better ground textures in FSX and the curvature of the horizon, both of which I would like to have in my FS9, but there are nowhere close to being the decisive factor. FS9 with all the addons I have (including the only great Airbus simulation - and Airbus has always been my favourite aircraft type) gives me much much more satisfaction.

One more factor is I, just like you, am a heavy metal flyer. If I were the Cessna/Katana type pilot, I would likely spend more time in FSX.

Hello

When I use FS9 these days one addon I really miss from my FSX install is EZdok.

All the FS9 aircraft just feel like they are on rails after using EZdok, very little sense of moving through a fluid medium. EZdok's suble movements bring life to the flight models on FSX.

Other than that I still like FS9 but once you put the money and effort into FSX it really comes into its own.

When I use FS9 these days one addon I really miss from my FSX install is EZdok

It is hard for me to compare but I am using the Active Camera / FSRecorder combo, which are also nice, and I am well used to them.

I also had TrackIR4 but it broke down for good. I'm planning on buying TIR5 though, so I guess I don't miss EZdok so much even though I believe it is a very fine product.

Have to agree with Mad Dog here, get yourself and I5 2500K a good NVIDIA card (Not ATI) crank it up and the sim will run beautifully.

There still seems to be myths surrounding FSX performance, sure if you set 100% AI and 100% Road traffic with proccesses running in the background you will still have problems.

At the very least take a look at the you tube videos of FSX running on a I5 or I7 clocked above 4ghz

Rafal, definitely get yourself TrackIR5, I didn't think the upgrade was worth it and held onto to my IR4 until it was literally being held together by glue and blue tac. :biggrin:

When I finally purchased the TrackIR5 I asked myself why did I wait so long?!

Btw, did you ever overclock that CPU? it pains me to see so much power being unused :wink:

Rob Prest

There still seems to be myths surrounding FSX performance
sure if you set 100% AI and 100% Road traffic with proccesses running in the background you will still have problems.

So, not exactly myths! :wink:

Frankly speaking I am an AI freak and I do want to have airports full of all kind of traffic. I spend quite a lot of time working out nice AI packages.

As for the road traffic, it was advertised as one of the new steps forward compared to FS9 and now it seems you actually have to turn it off?

definitely get yourself TrackIR5 (...) When I finally purchased the TrackIR5 I asked myself why did I wait so long?!

Rob, as always your advice is a monstrous temptation. Now I just need to plan a tactics towards my wife to justify spending 200 euro on a small useless toy (lol).

did you ever overclock that CPU?

No, I am afraid to. I have followed your advice to read some web threads but I still have no idea on how to do it not to #$%@# something... :Worried:

Ah well, I have always been more into Vatsim & IVAO traffic, I just cant stand default or artificial ATC programs! ;)

Regarding the CPU, you should be getting very good FPS with FS9 on that rig so if your happy then all's good. If you do ever want to release the full potential of your machine be sure to head over to the hardware forum.

Cheers

Rob Prest

I have always been more into Vatsim & IVAO traffic, I just cant stand default or artificial ATC programs

I agree. No realistic ATC other than VATSIM. But even when I fly online, I get FSInn use my AI models and liveries. So, all in one! :biggrin:

If you do ever want to release the full potential of your machine be sure to head over to the hardware forum.

I will probably do it although I feel a bit intimidated seeing the level of technical knowledge of the regular participants of that forum.

I usually try to solve all problems myself before I decide to bother someone else with my questions. But safe overclocking seems a bit too much for me...

Simmer don't HAVE to choose one or the other...both can co-exist :P

I primarily use FS9 for my heavies and older addons. But I'll occasionally take FSX for a spin, maybe once a month.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

The thing I miss (a little bit!... :Whistle: ...) in FS 2004, is the absence of moving road traffic, as in FSX.

I have "stationary traffic" on my FS 2004 (Bernard's Roads) which helps a little bit to make the scenery more "realistic"...in both default roads, and Ultimate Terrain USA/Canada road networks... :Cuppa: ...!

The problem with UT in my FSX, is that the two road systems dont accurately line up....so the FSX moving traffic often has a mind of its own, and often ignores the wonderful UT road system altogether and disappears into the woods!...Just%20Kidding.gif ...!

So, realistically, the only difference between my excellent copy of FS 2004, and my struggling FSX, is the "moving traffic" addition... :wink: ...!

Paul...FS 2004...FS Navigator...LAGO FSE...Plan-G....and the excellent UT USA/Canada!... :Bug: ...!

My FS 2004 is mainly used for very low level, scenery exploratory flights, in my speedy Cessna 150 Aerobat, referring to Google satellite, terrain, and Street Maps, and Wikipedia for the local area information!

Hi!

It is not a decision for me. I have two hard drives installed. On one I have FS9 running on Win XP, on the other one is FSX with Win Vista 64 bit. I just decide with booting up my machine which sim to use.

I also have a dual boot system, but with FSX on Windows 7 64-bit.

I fly FS9 on Windows XP when I want to fly airliners and use all AI traffic and FSHotSFX for Ai sounds.

I fly FSX when I fly slower aircraft lower to the ground with lower levels of AI, but with great scenery candy.