Sign in to follow this  
Javiz

Can it be done ?...

I'm in progress of migrating to FSX. Will be flying both version. But my 3570+ too hot @ 4.5Ghz so I'm running only at 4.2Ghz. Maybe not "that good" for FSX. But I hope will be able to get ~25fps.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

I'm in progress of migrating to FSX. Will be flying both version. But my 3570+ too hot @ 4.5Ghz so I'm running only at 4.2Ghz. Maybe not "that good" for FSX. But I hope will be able to get ~25fps.

Well with the rig you have, if you can't get ~25 FPS your doing something seriously wrong. As an example, on my old dual core in my sig that runs at 3.85ghz, 2 GB RAM, and Win XP 32bit, I can get 25+ FPS in most all situations, usually higher of course when I am not at mega hubs in an airliner with tons of AI, but still mid to low 30's at JFK, DFW, etc.

As an example, below are two screens using the NGX VC, 100% WOAI, and FSDT's KJFK, and I get a solid 25 to 30 FPS on approach regardless of clear sky or storms. In the pic below it is the same airport but at night with Ultimate Terrain night lights turned on which are "supposed" to be an FPS killer and I am still get 26 FPS. The only thing I have turned off is the cars and boats, which I dont usually find necessary for airliner flying, but do use them when flying low and slow.

3-2.jpg

4-1.jpg

To be honest, anyone with a rig as good or better than mine should be able to achieve the same performance in FSX with a properly tuned rig. I still dont understand how anyone, especially those with the latest and greatest hardware struggle to get good performance with FSX.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Wow, I'm shocked.

Yes. Because my current sig when flying Fs9(max settings without ground shadow,nvidia inspector..) with ifly 737 VC + FSDT KJFK + UT USA + 100% AI can only get around 25-30 FPS sharp. Peak at ~35FPS.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Wow, I'm shocked.

Yes. Because my current sig when flying Fs9(max settings without ground shadow,nvidia inspector..) with ifly 737 VC + FSDT KJFK + UT USA + 100% AI can only get around 25-30 FPS sharp. Peak at ~35FPS.

You shouldn't be shocked really. The problem is there are a lot of rumors that go around about FSX being a poor performer and normally in the forums you normally see more posts from people having issues, rather than people posting how great FSX is running. The people who have no problem usually remain silent as they have nothing to really post about, while the ones with bad setups, improper tweaks, CTD's or other issues post constantly looking to get help, which in essence make it look like problems and bad performance are wide spread because that is all we read about or see posted for the most part.

The truth is, with a proper set up and not being over tweaked, anyone with my rig or better should get performance equal to or better than the screens I posted. I know a lot of people are running rigs that aren't "sim only" rigs and probably have a lot of other stuff running in the back ground or causing other issues. My rig is FSX only with nothing unnecessary going on and I dont run my WX program on the same rig, it's running on a network old DELL computer. I also dont browse the net, check email, or try to watch movies on the same rig while flying as it would probably 1/2 my performance or crash the sim.

Anyway, I wish you luck with the new rig and hope you can get good performance in FSX and FS9 also for that matter.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies, gents, very helpfull ! B)

It's just that i had to re-install FS9 recently for design purpose only ( i thought... ) and the fact that i have never found the time to fly jetliners in FSX. Now that i DO have the time i seem to be running into problems as described in my OP more and more each day. FSX runs reasonably well on my system ( i7-980x 3.33GHz, Single 1.5GB GF GTX480, 12GB 1600MHz Tri Channel Memory, seperate 600GB Serial ATA HD (10K rpm) for FSX and FS9 only) while flying small GA aircraft in VFR conditions. I have the full suit of FSX graphics goodies installed as well as UT2. Not all sliders to the right, no road traffic and some of the well known tweaks applied.

I started with trying out some of the commercial 'lite' jetliner models provided by CLS, Aerosim,QW and SMS which went reasonably well. But as soon as i tried the more complex iterations from CS and PMDG the fun was soon over. It didn't take long for the first OOM message to appear or a CTD or BSOD to woefully end my flight in mid air. Very annoying really...

On top of that fps could easily sink beneath 10 even at big default airports. And here i was thinking that a pitiful fps like that would belong to the past forever when i bought my new system about 2 years ago especially arrangend for FSX use... :Thinking:

Certainly true when flying some of the wonderful GA aircraft or warbirds around the smaller airports but i have always been at awe with the PMDG 747 eventhough i couldn't find the time to fly it. A real heartbreaker to find out i still can't now i DO have the time, atleast not in FSX...

Sooooo, i took the plunge and bought the PMDG 747 FS9 version (again) and just did a couple of flights with it without so much as a hick-up or any sort of problem. Just magnificent ! So smooth and annoying free !

The thing is though that i'd like the best out of FS9 as there is to get today. That means i shall have to buy some of the FS9 goodies again and a quick investigation proved that although it is the former FS version it certainly is not like you can actually see that reflected in the price.... F.i. i just bought the FSGenesis 19m mesh Europe Bundle for just about 60 bucks...Phew!! And that's just for starters...

Having things like the FS9 versions of Ultimate Traffic, Ultimate Terrain, Ground Environment Pro, Flight Environment Pro etc in mind too i am really starting to wonder.... what have i begun..... It's like going back in time when FSX was all but a dream in a dedicated flightsimmer's head....

So i guess i just came inhere to seek some 'mental backup' ... :smile:

It really is beyond any reasonable doubt that i cannot have any fun flying the PMDG 747 in FSX ( their latest masterpiece, the 737NGX, does perform a lot better but on a longer flight i'd still get the dreaded OOM message. I'm really running out of hair to pull out ! ) so that's why the idea of going back to FS9 just to fly jetliners settled into my mind.

Like some of you also said, there's no reason why FSX and FS9 can't live together.

Btw, what did strike me most when flying FS9 again is the fact that i think the default FS9 clouds actually don't look bad at all. I really like 'em ! ( and that's something to say for someone who's been flying FSX with FEX for years, isn't it... B) )

Anyway, thanks again for your comments, guys, much appreciated. I guess i'd best go ahead and deffinately choose for this option to leave FSX alone when it comes to flying jetliners.

Btw, is EZdok for FSX only ?...

I don't think you'll find a much more dedicated fan of Active Camera than me, great fun seeing it back again in FS9 ( Fly-By view is way better than FSX Fly-By, couldn't live without Approach View neither )What i do miss in FS9 though is the various external aircraft views we have in FSX.

I *am* right in thinking we never had those views in FS9, right ? ( it's been years since i used FS9... )

Cheers,

Jan

Jan

Jan, with that rig of yours you shouldn't have any issues at all!! However, I assume your not over clocking that rig. If you can get it up to 4.0ghz or even higher then that will help you with the FPS problem. Also, since you said you have all the graphic upgrades assuming you meant GEX, UTX, and REX or FEX, then you might want to try running the DXT clouds if your not already and it will help with the FPS.

As far as the OOM's, CTD's and BSOD that you get it might be something wrong with one of the drivers you have installed or some type of conflict with some software running in the back ground. There is no way you should get OOM's with more than 4GB of RAM on a 64bit OS. I have a 32bit OS and only 2GB of RAM and using the 3GB boot.ini tweak have never had an OOM, CTD or BSOD, which makes me think that there is something wrong outside of FSX. Why it doesn't happen with FS9 is hard to say, but it shouldn't happen with FSX if everything is properly configured.

If you ever return to FSX, give NickN's setup guide a try and follow it to a tee and it might help you out. I never used his guide opting to have FS-GS do my whole setup, but some of the stuff in Nick's guide still holds true if you want to do it yourself. As far as FPS in the PMDG 747 on my rig I get about the same performance in it as in the screens I posted into JFK with the NGX, so if I can get it like that with no issues it can be done and probably easier with a rig like you have.

Also EZdok is only for FSX so you'll have to go with Active Camera for FS9 or DBS Walk and Follow camera system from Simmarket.

At least FSX is usable for your low and slow stuff and you have FS9 already with a bunch of addons so you can use both.

My biggest problem with FSX is AI. There are many-many problems related to AI models/textures themselves and ADE parking files. Too many to mention. That's why AVSIM FSX Library is quite poor when it comes to AI Stuff.

On the other hand, FSX is SO GOOD visually beside AI world, that I would probaly start using it for VATSIM.

Anyone knows if FSINN finally became stable piece of software?

Thanks

Anyone knows if FSINN finally became stable piece of software?

I have no problems with FSInn under FS9.

I don't know about FSX but I guess it would be the same.

By the way what soft of problems did you experience with FSInn?

Rafal,

Last time I checked VATSIM in 2008 and as far as I remember FSInn was pain in a butt from the standpoint of installation. I'm just wondering whether it will be possible to use my AI models to reflect other simmers planes in FSX.

I don't use half-baked stuff such as UT2 or MT, prefer my own hand-made package with AI models, textures, schedules etc.

Actually FSX needs brand new set of AI models build from the scratch. FS2004 models are good, but have very heavy impact on FPS in FSX and there is a problem with 15min departure night lighting. FS2004 conversions for FSX (UT2 and MT) are just...ugly, sorry folks, meanwhile the FPS impact a bit lighter.

Therefore, despite my powerful rig I still be using FS2004 as a main sim (iFLy is releasing new FP in a matter of days, maybe hours) and from time-to-time run NGX in FSX somewhere in Norway.

FS2004 conversions for FSX (UT2 and MT) are just...ugly, sorry folks

Hello

MyTraffic X aircraft are now all true FSX models built from scratch , they look fine now and the fps is not an issue.

What is half baked about MTX ?, I am curious as Burkhard Renk has been producing his Ai package for many years, what is he doing wrong ?

FSInn was pain in a butt from the standpoint of installation

The installation is quick and pretty straightforward.

Just make sure you have the latest version available (get it at the Vatsim website).

I'm just wondering whether it will be possible to use my AI models to reflect other simmers planes in FSX.

I have no idea about FSX but in FS9 -yes, that is what I am doing.

It works precisely in most cases and sometimes it will assign any other livery (not a big problem though).

Use this http://nordenflieger.../AC_ICAO_53.zip and check here for more help: http://forums.vatsim...814cc2b72e868fa