Sign in to follow this  
flyer32a

Deleted new Afcad2 airfield still appears in the FS9 scenery

I have been tinkering with Afcad 2 for a few years without problems,but now I have built a new grass airfield using a grass runway surrounded by a grass apron to flatten the area. All was well until I adjusted some of the surrounding scenery using the transparency apron surface. The effect of this was to hide the whole apron on the Afcad window so I was unable to make any adjustments. I then deleted the airfield bgl, intending to start again. Although the field has been removed from Afcad2 and from "add on scenery" and appears nowhere else, it still shows up when I fly over it in FS9. There is no sign of the bgl file anywhere in FS9,so how can this happen. My only thought on this is that I may have "saved" the file at some time instead of "save as". I am now at a loss, short of reinstalling FS9. Can anyone help? Best wishes RegT(flyer32a)

There is certainly another copy of the bgl somewhere in FS9, perhaps under a different name or in some other location than addon scenery / scenery. If I remember correctly, AFCAD 2.21 saves to that location however save as can point to anywhere on your PC and you may have used "save as" and sent the bgl to some other active scenery folder such as some other add on scenery or your scenery / (whatever) / scenery folder or a active scenery file folder in the FS9 root folder or even one outside of FS9.

ScanAfd available here at AVSIM, file name "scanafd.zip"

http://library.avsim...=root&Go=Search

Might be of some help in tracking down the wayward AF file. Be assured, there is a copy somewhere that is active. It simply couldn't be showing up in FS9 if it were not there somewhere.

You didn't modify a default APxxxxxxxx.bgl did you? I have to ask just in case.

Regards,

Mel

Hi.

If you can't track it down the (best) way Mel suggests with ScanAFD, you can fall back on the slow-but-sure method...

Disable all your extra scenery layers in the FS9 Scenery menu. If the airport still shows up you'll only have a few default folders to look through. If it doesn't show up, re-enable them a few at a time and make a flight after each re-enable. When it reappears, you'll only have a handful of folders to check. You can narrow it down to a single folder bymaking several re-enable passes taking half of the suspect bunch each time.

I recommend using the free ADE fro Scruffyduck instead of Afcad221. It allows you, if you wish, to save your work without creating a bgl. Just compile to bgl when everything is complete. It works better in some ways than Afcad221 as it doesn't contain so many of the wrong assumptions that were made about FS file structure all those years ago. And... despite what so many people say, it doesn't take much effort to master- it's (un)surprisingly similar to Afcad221.

Best regards,

D

p. s. if you open an airport in Afcad221 by using the ICAO code you receive a list of all bgls containing that airport. If there's only one in the list, that's the faulty bgl. If it's the default AP****** you'll have to repair it by copying from one of the installation discs.

Dave's suggestion about using ADE is excellent and I regret failing to mention it myself. I have been using ADE for quite some time and can't praise it enough!

Regards to all,

Mel

Thanks,Mel and Dave for the prompt help.You have both given me lots to think about. When I have sorted it out I intend to try ADE.First of all I will download ScanAfd and try that. Anyway thanks to you both for the quick help. I will get back later when I get some results. All the best, RegT

Hi Mel and Dave, Your excellent advice has paid off.I used ScanFd to find the missing bgl file and there it was, inside another airfield I had made for New Zealand!!!! I would never have found it without your help. Thank you gentlemen.

I am now reading up on ADE and looking forward to many more new airfields. Regards RegT