Sign in to follow this  
whiggy

Difference between ASE and AS2012 if I don't use Textures?

Hi @ all!

I have ASE and my question is, make it a sense to update to AS2012 if I don't plan to use the replacement textures?

Interesting question, I would like to know the real pros from updating from ASE...apart from the textures.

David DD

Whaddya know? I've been asking myself the same question. Had a bit of a search but found nothing.

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

It's FSX specific, better flight planner with some interesting features, faster to load, better DWC and smoothing, better interpolation, turbulence, wake turbulence - in general, a refinement of ASE. The textures are excellent but if you don't use them there is no pressing need to upgrade from the latest version of ASE.

DJ

Mmm, food for thought. I like the sound of better interpolation. Cheers.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

You tipped me over DJ. I bought the upgrade and I have to say that after only one 45min flight I was very impressed! I'm still using REX textures and one of my gripes was cirrus clouds. They always looked like planks. For the first time ever, they now look like cirrus. You know,'mares tails' we call them, made wispy by high winds. The other thing that got me was the behaviour of the wind. Much more realistic and no longer 'haphazard' A great job. REX Essentials, eat your heart out! (I'll stick with their textures though)

Good job Active Sky :biggrin:

I'm still using REX textures...

I generally do the same thing because I like REX's sky textures - in truth, though, I'm really impressed with what AS2012 has done with textures and do use those from time to time. I do suggest that you get and use the latest beta for AS2012 since there are some improvements that are worth having with regard to winds and temps.

DJ

Yeah, got the beta. That's probably why I was so impressed by the wind.

I took the plunge, mainly for the awesome support from Damian over the years. My way of saying thanks.

Since I also have ASE and really not used AS2012 that much yet...the first thing I did notice is the faster loading times compared to ASE.

What I would really love whould be the ability to program a key command for the refresh weather function.

I forgot to say that the cirrus clouds look a lot better in AS2012 compared to Rex.

David DD

Since I also have ASE and really not used AS2012 that much yet...the first thing I did notice is the faster loading times compared to ASE.

Do you mean that AS2012 does not take so long time to start up as ASE?

Do you mean that AS2012 does not take so long time to start up as ASE?

I have certainly noticed that 2012 loads quicker than ASE.

Ok I thought ASE was newer than AS2012 as AS2012 doesn't come with any textures yet it has texture/snapshot features which makes no sense.

Yes it is faster.

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

David DD

So can we summarise what we would get for the upgrade the main point

1) Faster loading

2) Textures can get you better looking cirrusclouds

3) More to be filled in ?

So can we summarise what we would get for the upgrade the main point

1) Faster loading

2) Textures can get you better looking cirrusclouds

3) More to be filled in ?

You do have the impression of it being a refinement over ASE.

While the cirrus look better I still think Rex textures look better over all, but I use them both.

The other feature that I like is the fact that you can load textures for particular weather within a flight plan. You can't do that with ASE.

Another bonus is that if new features will be implemented they will be for As2012 not ASE.

Weather is a very important aspect of simulation, and As does depict it very well in fs!

That is enough for me to have an updated weather program, and the discount makes it a must imo.

I didn't regret the purchase one bit!

David DD