Sign in to follow this  
beana51

FORBIDDEN ISLAND " NIIHU"

This Island in FLIGHT does seem ominous!..No signs of the Life living there...Interesting that in WW2.....

" The Niʻihau Incident (or Battle of Niʻihau) occurred on December 7, 1941, when Japanese Zero pilot Shigenori Nishikaichi crash-landed on the Hawaiian island of Niʻihau after participating in the attack on Pearl Harbor.

The island's Native Hawaiian residents were initially unaware of the attack, but apprehended Nishikaichi when the gravity of the situation became apparent. Nishikaichi then sought and received the assistance of three locals of Japanese descent in overcoming his captors, finding weapons, and taking several hostages. In the end Nishikaichi was killed by Niʻihauan Ben Kanahele, who was wounded in the process, and one of Nishikaichi's confederates, Yoshio Harada, committed suicide.

The incident and the actions of Nishikaichi's abettors contributed to a sense in the American military that every Japanese, even those who were American citizens or otherwise thought loyal to the United States, might aid Japan, and ultimately may have influenced the decision to intern Japanese Americans through World War II. The actions of the Niʻihauans were widely celebrated in the United States; Ben Kanahele was decorated for his part in stopping the incident.".....They Way It Was....

FLIGHT...HAWAII,rich in history!....Vin!!

screenshot1791.jpg

screenshot1792.jpg

screenshot1790.jpg

Dang it! Now I went and learned something today!

That's an impressive "first post" BTW!

Yes I enjoyed that little read . Thanks for posting it.

New to me also, thanks.

Did a recon flight round Niihau and found a small village roughly midway along the Northwest coast,only a few buildings but certainly inhabited.....must be a tranquil life there........no airstrip though....but I landed quite close by in a Stearman and wandered amongst the houses.

I noticed that there seems to be a large grain handling system near the settlement. I checked on line about the island... seems that it is privately owned and there is supposedly a helipad somewhere on the island....http://www.niihau.us/heli.html 260px-Niihau_helicopter.jpg

Did a Niihau scenery set for FSX a few years back. The island has been privately owned since sometime in the mid-1860s and, because of stipulations at the time of purchase, it's the only one of the Hawaiian Islands where Hawaiian is the primary language. Until 1999 residents there worked on the Robinson family cattle ranch. There's also a small Navy installation on the cliffs but no permanent naval personnel. It's tied in with the Pacific Missile Range Facility on Kauai.

EDIT:

<p>

I noticed that there seems to be a large grain handling system near the settlement. I checked on line about the island... seems that it is privately owned and there is supposedly a helipad somewhere on the island....

Judging from the location in the photo and the angle to the small island (a volcanic cone) in the background, that pad is on the NE end of the "highlands". If it's where I think it is, it's in among some buildings that might be the naval station (I've never been certain as to it's exact location).

Rich

Great story, I'd heard that a Zero pilot had crash landed on one of the outlaying islands, but never knew the details. I have definitely learned more about Hawaii, Hawaiian geography and history, and Pearl Harbor history thanks to Flight!

"

No longer a FORBIDDEN ISLAND! "NIIHU" today is an "ALOHA" Island!

The Safari hunts there seem adventurous,and Exotic!,as does the Sea Shells collecting.and the jewelery made from Sea Shells!........Enjoying my Vacation here...Soon its back to FS9,and FSX....However when and if we get Colder Weather in "FLIGHT" you can be sure every foot of it will be explored!..How fortunate we are to have three great Flight Simulators on our Desk Tops....Have FUN all...Vin! :wink:

http://65.61.16.97/niihau/