Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

UTX or GEX?

Hi guys. I am planning on buying either UTX or GEX to replace my ground textures within FSX. I will be buying either package for north america at first. I was wondering if anyone can give an opinion as to which product is more realistic. Also, do they both work well with REX 2.0? Would I see a big difference?

Thanks

hamoody

Hi mate

they both do different things.

GEX is ground texture replacement program

UTX is a road,rail and coastline replacement program.also has a landclass part as well.

myself i bought GEx europe first ,then added usa and africa middleeast later.

UTX i bought europe first and also added usa/canada later.

IT all depends what is more important to you.if you don't like the default ground textures buy GEX first.

If you would like better coastlines and roads get UTX first.

they do work really well together and really you would be better having both.

REX works well with both. :smile:

steve-0

Hi mate

they both do different things.

GEX is ground texture replacement program

UTX is a road,rail and coastline replacement program.also has a landclass part as well.

myself i bought GEx europe first ,then added usa and africa middleeast later.

UTX i bought europe first and also added usa/canada later.

IT all depends what is more important to you.if you don't like the default ground textures buy GEX first.

If you would like better coastlines and roads get UTX first.

they do work really well together and really you would be better having both.

REX works well with both. :smile:

steve-0

Thanks for the reply! I will probably be getting GEX first.

hamoody

Guest firehawk44

Thanks for the tip. Can anyone tell me if FS Global 2010 is a good alternative to GEX?

Completely different products. GEX replaces your default textures. FS Global tells FSX elevation and mesh data on the landscape below - http://www.avsim.com/pages/0210/Pilots/FSGlobal.htm. Like FS Genesis.

Best regards,

Jim

No I'd recommend UTX first. Giving you accurate landclass, coastlines, night lighting. GEX you can buy later.

+1 I have to agree that UTX should be first. Accurate streets, rivers, traintracks, etc make it so much more realistic

UTX is a must have!!!

I have both but if I was only going to buy one I would buy GEX since it make more of a visual difference and improves the autogen placement the way they annotated the texture tiles, which can also improve performance. However, I think it depends a lot on the type of flying you do. If you fly low and slow UTX might be better since it adds the roads, streams and other vector data which wouldn't be as important if your flying airliners at 30K plus feet. The one thing about UTX is that depending on which features you use, it can bring your FPS down a bit. If you use car traffic it adds a lot more car traffic than what FSX has by default which can lower your FPS, as well as the night lights if you turn them on, some people have reported lower FPS using that feature.

All in all both are great products and you should buy both if you can at some point. In the mean time you just need to figure out what is more important: UTX= more roads, rivers, streams, better coastlines and landclass, or, GEX=overall better looking ground textures and autogen placement.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hello

If a post detailing the differences between Mesh, Textures, Landclass and how they relate to each other had been pinned to the top of these forums many years ago, folk might have learned the differences between these products by now.

I amazes me that anyone could read the product pages for FS Global , UTX and GEX and still walk away thinking they were the same thing.

No I'd recommend UTX first. Giving you accurate landclass, coastlines, night lighting. GEX you can buy later.

+3

Art