Sign in to follow this  
dwf627

x plane 10 crashed

Having a problem with my X plane 10. My computer is a late 2011 Mac Book Pro with 2.5 GHz Intel Core I7 , 8GB 1333MHz of DDR3 , Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB , running OS X LION 10.73. I have set my rendering settings to exactly what I had been running in X plane 9. The settings are : Texture Resolution - Extreme Res , Anti Alias level - 4x Hardcore , Gama - 2.5 , Antisotropic Filter - 8x , Compress Textures - Unchecked , Laterial Field of View - 75.00 . When starting X plane I get : X mapped out of memory C path = / users / wade flinn/ desktop / xplane 10 / resources / default scenery / 1000 world terrain / textures 10 / loveg / shrub_temp_wet_hill dds . I can't get into X plane to change my settings back to original settings. What is my problem? I ran Xplane 9 on this same computer with the same settings and had no problems.

delete the x-plane preferences

x-plane/output/preferences/~

ideally, delete them all. return to the default condition.

your machine can't do the same settings, especially the texture quality option.

work your way up from a modest configuration and find out where your machine is happy with 10.

You didn't specify a video card other than the integrated Core i7 Intel Extreme 3000, which either means you don't know how to find the difference between integrated and expansion video capabilities or you don't have one. If you don't have one, that is BAD news as the Intel HD 3000 is terrible for anything in Windows except playback of videos from DVD/BluRay media or streamed from a camera or online. Playing games like Angry Birds seems to be a bit more than the Intel 3000 can handle. Don't know if Apple can do much better with it, but I doubt it's a software thing and more a hardware thing.

Running XP9 with its minimal graphics settings at max is taxing for sure, but compared to XP10 is a bit like Wolfenstein 3D (from the 80s) compared to Crysis (or more flight-oriented Flight Sim 3.1 compared to FSX). XP9 isn't very heavy in the graphics department besides the terrain mesh and textures. XP10 is EXTREMELY graphics intense, even without much being rendered. That is part of the current problem with XP10 is that they still are having to find the happy medium in which the graphics cards aren't overwhelmed, but either is the CPU. XP9 is more CPU bound where XP10 is more GPU bound.

Uncompressing textures means that you're using more RAM for video memory (as the Intel 3000 has no memory of it's own, its shared with the system RAM), so that is somewhat bad for performance. Also, the textures at max my 9800 GTX+ can't even handle as it's only got 512MB VRAM and MEDIUM uses at least 1GB worth uncompressed. Anti-Aliasing is another biggie depending on video card capabilities. The newer cards can do 16x without breaking a sweat where my old 9800 GTX+ can sometimes do up to 8x depending on the game and resolution being used. 1920x1080x32bpp with 16x AA is a hell of a lot of pixels to compute and if your CPU is busy with AI and flight model, the integrated chipset has nobody in the computer to help him out.

Bottom line, I haven't heard of or seen a computer YET that can run XP10 with 1080p resolution (1920x1080x32bpp) with full AA/AF and have all the textures maxed, cars clouds and the sort. There just isn't enough computing power out there right now, no matter how much you spend to do it 20+ time a second.