Sign in to follow this  
simon-flight

Random switches at startup for next SP ?

Hi all,

Just curious to know if anyone eles would like this feature ?

I kinda like the idea of preparing the cockpit from cold and dark with the chance of switches, guards or trim wheels being out of place. I think it would make the pre flight checklists feel more meaningful and real.

Any takers ?

Best Wishes

Simon Grant

It's a good idea. I would like that. However for me I'm still in the process of getting to grips with tutorial one. I know that's old now but my real life has been getting in the way. But when I browse through the manuals and can clearly see how much more there is to do, that sort of thing you mention is just something I am looking forward to. I hope they do it :)

Frankly,

It's not really realistic to have switches "random" in an aircraft ;). There's a reason there's checklists for start-up AND shut-down. :)

While there is some variation maybe regarding a switch guard closed or open, walking into a cold and dark aircraft with some things set on and off would not be fun. Imagine if some of the elec hyd pumps were left on and AC power was quickly applied via ground power...That instantaneous big load would not be the funnest thing for an diesel driven GPU. Even worse what if the flaps were extended with techs working around and someone was playing with the flap lever w/o hyd power?

I guess you request does make some sense as it would force users to practice good diligence with cold and dark checklists.

Maybe a feature that you can assign specific button to be random via the txt file (or whatever) assigned to the startup file. Don't know the correct terminology but what I mean is that you can change the orders from 0 or 1 to 0, 1 or random. Could for example be useful for the temperature settings, they could be a bit random.

Another possibility is that there is 5% change (or whatever) that a switch is wrong. Then you could experience the same thing as the Helios Airways Flight 522.

I hope I wrote it in an understandable way, Regards

Manfred

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

Hi all,

Just curious to know if anyone eles would like this feature ?

I kinda like the idea of preparing the cockpit from cold and dark with the chance of switches, guards or trim wheels being out of place. I think it would make the pre flight checklists feel more meaningful and real.

Any takers ?

Best Wishes

Simon Grant

I would NOT like it to be forced that way. As a non-default option for those who absolutely want it I wouldn't care.

Dave P. Woycek

I have to say I can live without this feature. It frustrates me when people don't put back things the way they found them. That just may drive me mad.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Guest dlrk

Would be an interesting option. Not important, though

Thanks for the replies

Yes I wouldn’t advocate the idea of forcing it on users who don’t want it. Maybe an option in the failure system for cold and dark startups.

And I agree the chance of one or more switches being out of place would force more diligence when running through a checklist that would otherwise complete as perfect every time.

In the other extreme I occasionally like the challenge of getting the NGX from cold and dark with high random failures set to 30,000ft within the shortest time possible. Having the switches set as if a kids party had just finished in the cockpit would add to the excitement :-)

Best Wishes

Simon Grant

There are a lot of switches that cannot be "random" set, in a cold and dark situation there are few items that could be variable, mostly depending on pilots and technicians.

It could be funny to have for example a "random" wrong switch/knob setting for a system like the pressurization panel. This is the error that crashed the helios airplane. A similar thing could be added as a "random" feature.

Another similar item could be the downlock pin not removed and landing gears will not retract, isolation valve and few more.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

I too strictly follow checklists and would not like to find stuff out of place unless its a mundane item like a volume knob or something of that nature, but then again I never do cold and dark unless its the first flight of the day (I save the panel config to reflect my previous flight after deboarding is complete).