Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Flying as First Officer

Has anyone here tried flying the NGX from the FO view? It's so hard! Especially taking off... You lose sense of the centerline.

I can't imagine what First Officers feel when they move on to being Captains... :LMAO:

Has anyone here tried flying the NGX from the FO view? It's so hard! Especially taking off... You lose sense of the centerline.

I can't imagine what First Officers feel when they move on to being Captains... :LMAO:

A Delta 777 FO was once a Delta 737 Captain. The only time that I can see a Captain having diffculty getting used to the left seat is if he never flew from the left seat (i.e. ink on the license is still wet).

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

As I was told a long time ago while transitioning from single engine jets to transports, "Put the centerline right between your legs." It is human nature to want to correct for the perceived offset since you are sitting off of the centerline in either the left or right seat. But maybe six inches off of the centerline? Not far enough to matter.

Parker Freeman - KTPA
i7 8700k@4.8, Asus Maximus X, Nvidia 1080TI, Win 10 , Saitek X65

If the runway is fitted with centerline lighting, a lot of crew will deliberately offset the aircraft from the centerline slightly to avoid the 'ba-dumph ba-dumph ba-dumph" sound as the nosewheel hits the light fittings.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

If the runway is fitted with centerline lighting, a lot of crew will deliberately offset the aircraft from the centerline slightly to avoid the 'ba-dumph ba-dumph ba-dumph" sound as the nosewheel hits the light fittings.

Oh really? I didn't know! I thought the lights were actually underground, and the top was just a glass piece so that the lights can hold the weight of the airplane.

EDIT:

I was thinking it was something like this:

adventures.1234864980.lights-in-ground-with-random-things-inside.jpg

Edited by linux731

Oh really? I didn't know! I thought the lights were actually underground, and the top was just a glass piece so that the lights can hold the weight of the airplane.

I think that most runway centerline lights are like the lights on interstate highways to mark lane dividers. They're not exactly flat...

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Switching seats is something you do all the time during a career, so you get used to it very quickly..

Tony Fontaine

It is pretty different flying from the FO side I must say, however yeh shoot me down this might be sad but until I'm Captain with the VA I'm with, I will be flying from the FO side, its actually pretty cool once you get used to it :D

Now you have a feeling of what it's like to transition into CFI training from the Commercial Rating. That sucks!

Zach, you'll get used to it in no time, it'll just kick in and become normal. You'll actually learn more about landing as a CFI, since you'll have to be recovering your new students from bouncing down the runway, flaring too early, etc.. Make sure you learn how to recover from a spin during all types of stalls and during Minimum Controllable Airspeed. I had a couple students back in the day during MCA who spun the plane and they never set foot in an aircraft again..

Tony Fontaine

The biggest change is right and left seat in an Airbus. Getting used to using only left or right hand on the side stick takes some time!

Guess thats almost the same in Boeings, especially with manual thrust. The F/O uses right hand on the control collum, and left on the thrustlevers. The captain is just oposite

EDIT:

I was thinking it was something like this:

adventures.1234864980.lights-in-ground-with-random-things-inside.jpg

Edited by linux731, Today, 12:43 PM.

If only I was that starfish.

The biggest change is right and left seat in an Airbus. Getting used to using only left or right hand on the side stick takes some time!

Oh wow, Airbuses do look hard! It would be even worse if the co pilot was a lefty. After all, those planes pilot themselves.