Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Flying as First Officer

In my experience it doesn't feel any different whether you fly with the left or right hand on a control stick (same thing with driving a car for that matter). Or, if you fly Airbus, it doesn't matter which hand you use to push the buttons :-)

The airbus shouldn't be anyharder than the conventional yoke setup. As you use one hand on the throttles and another on the yoke/sidestick/whatevercontrollsystemyoucouldpossiblycomeupwith!

From my experience it really only takes a few minutes to get used to the switched sides.

In my experience it doesn't feel any different whether you fly with the left or right hand on a control stick (same thing with driving a car for that matter). Or, if you fly Airbus, it doesn't matter which hand you use to push the buttons :-)

lol didnt know cars came with control sticks must be a new design that came out recently :)

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

lol didnt know cars came with control sticks must be a new design that came out recently :)

yes, Airbus is looking into new markets with the development of the groundbreaking "Groundbus G320". It has drive by wire which prevents the driver from taking any wrong turns.

Obviously my point was when you drive a car it doesn't matter if it is a left or right-hand traffic system car, you can steer with either hand. Just remember which way to enter a roundabout ;-)

you can steer with either hand

we are taught to drive with 2 hands unless you have only one arm than you have a speciall licence for that:)

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

we are taught to drive with 2 hands

so are we [clears throat, whistles innocently] :-)

I've been flying exclusively from the right seat since i bought the NGX. I'm still an F.O. in the 73 for DeltaVA and plan to be until I have time to sit, watch, and read the manuals, and videos from AOA until i understand the airplane like the back of my hand. I've played around flying from the skipper's side before and i find it just as awkward as you did flying on the right side Diego.

Big%20Grin.gif

The airbus shouldn't be anyharder than the conventional yoke setup. As you use one hand on the throttles and another on the yoke/sidestick/whatevercontrollsystemyoucouldpossiblycomeupwith!

From my experience it really only takes a few minutes to get used to the switched sides.

Your hand isn't on a throttle that often since you are almost always using auto-throttle.

Both hands on yoke, Throttle, MCP, Radios and Flight Director selections controlled by the force. Jedi Pilots FTW!

:LMAO:

All these "Airbus is bad because it's all automated and we like both hands on yokes and we use Autothrottle till 50ft/after touchdown in flare mode".

The mind boggles.

One hand on Stick/Sidestick/Yoke/Bike Handles, the other hand on throttle/avionics. Or are you saying Airbus aircraft are better suited for manual flight than Boeing/Embraier/McDD/BAE aircraft? Or that you have one pilot handle the yoke and a different person handling the throttles or you have Telekenetic mind control?

Remember, those footpedals are Rudders, not Throttles. An Airplane isn't a car.

Also, it does matter which hand you use, If you decide to have your hands crossing over your body with your arms crossed, your just being stupid, and are limiting your control strength. If (as per captains seat) your right hand is near the throttle and your left hand is up near the outboard window, you use the left hand on the yoke/stick. You don't get your left hand and cross it over to the right side of the body to hold the throttle (if you can even reach over that far).

Trent Hopkinson

Your hand isn't on a throttle that often since you are almost always using auto-throttle.

Rather have a PF backing up the thrust levers than just saying that the computers will never let you down.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

It is highly unadvisable to use A/T in other than N1 mode and manual control, even if it is not outright forbidden.

yes, Airbus is looking into new markets with the development of the groundbreaking "Groundbus G320". It has drive by wire which prevents the driver from taking any wrong turns.

Obviously my point was when you drive a car it doesn't matter if it is a left or right-hand traffic system car, you can steer with either hand. Just remember which way to enter a roundabout ;-)

Drive by wire just means the control inputs from your steering wheel are sent electronically, rather than there being a direct linkage. It also already exists to a certain extent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_by_wire. The term you are thinking of is envelope protection.

Have you read the Boeing FCOM that came with the NGX?

Allow me to quote:

NP11.1 : "Normal procedures are used by a trained flight crew and assume: ... - The full use of all automated features (LNAV, VNAV, autoland, autopilot and autothrottle)."

NP21.40, in the take-off procedure: "Engage the autopilot when above the minimum altitude for autopilot engagement"

Boeings are flown on autopilot just as much as Airbusses are, can we put this silly meme to rest now?

Drive by wire just means the control inputs from your steering wheel are sent electronically, rather than there being a direct linkage. It also already exists to a certain extent: http://en.wikipedia..../Drive_by_wire. The term you are thinking of is envelope protection.

Have you read the Boeing FCOM that came with the NGX?

Allow me to quote:

NP11.1 : "Normal procedures are used by a trained flight crew and assume: ... - The full use of all automated features (LNAV, VNAV, autoland, autopilot and autothrottle)."

NP21.40, in the take-off procedure: "Engage the autopilot when above the minimum altitude for autopilot engagement"

Boeings are flown on autopilot just as much as Airbusses are, can we put this silly meme to rest now?

Yes, well - I was merely trying to make a joke, as indicated by the smilies after the respective sentences.