Sign in to follow this  
perryfincher

Heat Blur effect for PMDG 777?

I was wondering if the thought to model or show a heat blur effect when engines are running, has been considered.

Just a thought.

Thanks

Vin said this was not possible during the NGX development. FSX doesn't support light refraction. Another limitation. I did a quick search and could not find the post. I know Ryan has answered this as well.

Chuck Biggins

I wouldn't want this developed just for the 777, but more as a 3rd party add on for AI and multiplayer aircraft.

I spend more time in my flightdeck then I do in spot view :)

Would be nice to see the heat blur behind the engines of planes in front of me and lined up & waiting for departure.

if you want it more in the sim, i dont think it could be done, its most likely been considerred, and as Mr Pongress says, it would be ebtter for a third party extension

HOWEVER if you are one of these who like to put vids on youtube of FSX, its very easy ( i say that but ive never actually attempted it) to edit on somthing like Sony Vegas...

Just sayin :Straight Face:

People think they see a lot more "heat blur" then there actually is. If youtube vids are any indication.

I'm out on the ramp a lot and unless you are specifically looking for the blur you don't notice it a whole lot.

I'm out on the ramp a lot and unless you are specifically looking for the blur you don't notice it a whole lot.

Yeah I agree, it's not always visible. I think Ryan said they were going to see what extra animations they had left at the end for things like this.

I doubt it because a few companies have tried this and it looks awfull . FSX does not support surface optimization.

No - FSX graphics engine doesn't support a realistic method for doing it. We are constrained by what it can do unfortunately, we can't just replace the renderer.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

This isn't necessary, really. You should be concentrated on the flight deck, not how pretty the engines look. (I know this sounds kinda dumb but it makes sense in a way)

I use a heat blur like effect just for my AI planes. It's not perfect, but it does add a little more oomph to the visuals. Not only just heat blur, but it also simulates the smoky exhaust of known "polluters" like the old 737-200s, 727s, MD-80s, etc.

Btw, it was created by some fella named Nick Needham (NickN)

Search for njs_final.zip on the Avsim library.