Sign in to follow this  
CLett737

Now this looks interesting! A new way to use the VC!

Wow, sounds almost to good to be true, especially the price. I thought it would be it would be a lot more. Definately, something to keep an eye on.

Saw it yesterday. Very interesting indeed. Hopefully it's gonna be cheap ;)

For $70, it's a steal! I can just imagine turning nobs and pressing buttons and flipping switches. One really just needs to tap into the NGX SDK...

Still not clear whether it can directly interface with existing apps through the same API that a mouse would use, making it work in theory with FSX out of the box, or whether it needs specific tailoring to all/any individual applications...

Maybe all that would be needed is FSPUIC?

Still, for that money and considering I won't be charged until it ships at the end of the year, I have pre-ordered one!

I am sure that regardless of day-1 compatibility with FSX it will be an interesting device in its own right.

an interesting device in its own right.

Yes, that yes... but using if for FS... I dont know...

Didn't Apple already do this with the Magic Trackpad?

Yeah, Diego, I think I've seen something similar. Interesting that there is no video available, but yet they're expecting noodles to part with their cash with a pre-order system.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Didn't Apple already do this with the Magic Trackpad?

No, the trackpad is just that - a touch-based trackpad that you need to physically touch.

The Leap is a gesture-based system - the nearest thing to it would be the MS Kinect, though the Leap doesn't offer any facial, body or audio recognition, it just creates a relatively small area of interface around the box.

Yeah, Diego, I think I've seen something similar. Interesting that there is no video available, but yet they're expecting noodles to part with their cash with a pre-order system.

Hey Howard - there is a decent Engadget write-up here, including a video of the device in action. This and other reports have all been exceedingly positive about the thing. It really does seem to do exactly what it claims!

As far as the pre-order was concerned, they don't take any cash now and I reckoned by the time it got to December shipping, there would have been enough coverage to enable me to decide whether or not to cancel the order, so it is fairly low-risk IMHO.

Hey Howard - there is a decent Engadget write-up here, including a video of the device in action. This and other reports have all been exceedingly positive about the thing. It really does seem to do exactly what it claims!

As far as the pre-order was concerned, they don't take any cash now and I reckoned by the time it got to December shipping, there would have been enough coverage to enable me to decide whether or not to cancel the order, so it is fairly low-risk IMHO.

Thanks for the HU on the video Iain, very interesting. But you know, I can't help thinking that I would still prefer to have some hardware to touch, rather than moving my fingers in mid air. Having said that though, I can see a lot of potential and I can understand how so many of us will no doubt get excited about it's release.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Thanks for the HU on the video Iain, very interesting. But you know, I can't help thinking that I would still prefer to have some hardware to touch, rather than moving my fingers in mid air. Having said that though, I can see a lot of potential and I can understand how so many of us will no doubt get excited about it's release.

Oh I certainly don't disagree that the ultimate interface would always be a physical representation of your flight controls or panel!

That said, when you have limited space or funds a $70 add-on which could theoretically allow you to reach out and virtually touch, tweak, slide and twist any VC control instead of having to grab the mouse is something that really appeals to me.

I imagine that in tandem with Track IR or EZDOK it could really enhance the experience.

...well here's hoping anyways. If not, I will have an expensive new way of playing Fruit Ninja!

As I said above, the only real concern for me would be whether the device can successfully emulate mouse/touch movements as FSX understands them, so it works to a point without any need for additional software or modification to existing add-ons.

Sure, I can see how it would track a finger or fingers, but how would it recognise a click or double click, or more importantly moving the mouse wheel?

Howard

Sure, I can see how it would track a finger or fingers, but how woulduit recognise a click or double click, or more importantly moving the mouse wheel?

Exactly - that is the crux of my concern and something I don't know the answer to at this stage!

It looks like the software aspect of the device allows you to create custom gestures and that the basic product interacts with Windows as a touch screen and/or mouse would. Whether that is going to work well with FSX or whether add-on manufacturers are going to need to customise their product, I don't know!

I think the best use for this device will be with Windows 8 on none touch screens and touch centric apps.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

Check their video on same site, it got some interactions with other games, just click on LEAP logo and it will take you to more info, here is the link:

https://live.leapmotion.com/index.html

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.