Sign in to follow this  
runfmee

Two aerocaches today

BTW what does "HTS" stand for? I could not find any hits. HTS might stand "Hawaii Tracking System"

Hawaii Tracking Station

I need a little favor from guys who collected the aerocaches of the day from 23rd to 25th of May. Can you remember which aerocaches you collected, because I couldn't start Flight these days due to some kind of error after reinstalling Windows? If you can remember at least the locations, I would appreciate that.

You know, today has been the most fun "just flying around" time I've had with Flight.

Having lived in Hawaii for 12 years, I'm pretty familiar with much of it. Each time I've decided to go find an aerocache, just seeing the name was usually enough to let me fly right to it (I don't do the "hunts," preferring to take off from one of my preferred airports in Free Flight).

Today, knowing that there were a number of "undocumented" aerocaches out there from the dailys I've missed, and not having a list of them, I just flew around sightseeing. I made some patrols along coastlines and mountain ranges, followed roads and rivers, diverting toward anything that caught my eye and looked interesting. I managed to locate a number of "missed" aerocaches along the way, too, and found the unexpected discoveries far more rewarding than the hunts that ended exactly how I knew they would before even starting.

Whether this aerocache cornucopia turns out to be a bug or intended, I'm glad it happened. In the future, as a new DLC area is released and (presumably) it becomes the target-region for new daily aerocaches, I hope they reinstate all the dailys for the preceding DLC area in just this fashion... no hints, no tips, no list. Just "Get out there and see if you can find what all you missed."

Hawaii Tracking Station

I need a little favor from guys who collected the aerocaches of the day from 23rd to 25th of May. Can you remember which aerocaches you collected, because I couldn't start Flight these days due to some kind of error after reinstalling Windows? If you can remember at least the locations, I would appreciate that.

The 23rd was........remains of the Utah, just off one of the piers on Ford Island.

The 24th was.......little yellow houses "village" near the western end of the runway at Dillingham.

The 25th was........Just near the bunch of white structures (looks like large white marquees) left of runway 29 John Rodgers Field.

Watch out for the invisible crash boxes !!!

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/374918-bug-invisible-layer/

Fred.

New aerocache of the day at the normal time. I recognize this one, probably from the beta. Lake Waiau, high altitude lake on the main island.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

The 23rd was........remains of the Utah, just off one of the piers on Ford Island.

The 24th was.......little yellow houses "village" near the western end of the runway at Dillingham.

The 25th was........Just near the bunch of white structures (looks like large white marquees) left of runway 29 John Rodgers Field.

Watch out for the invisible crash boxes !!!

http://forum.avsim.n...nvisible-layer/

Thank you.

Todays Aerocache (Between Islands) was a lot of fun. It reminded me of the kayaker mission, like I was looking for a missing vessel. You are just given a general area, (15 miles out) and its up to you to figure the rest out. It was dark and windy, and after flying a .5 nm grid search pattern and with bingo fuel I was out of time when I finally spotted it off my right wing! I flew over it, and gave a wing wave to let the missing mariners know I spotted them and was I RTB.

They need to do more like this, and the VOR ones (give the proper outbound headings though) to provide a navigational challenge.

I did "Between Islands" at night to see the triangle easier. I did courses parallel to the Upolu/Hana line, then 90deg SW for a min, then reverse course, etc, til I narrowed the search area.

If anybody want to know the bearing / distance from the Upolu VOR............. :wink:

Used Maule ,

Looked at map first, took off from Upolu, runway 7, banked right, flew between VORs Upolu and Kamuela.

Guessed direction where cache might be from map.

Nav1 for Upolu 112.3, at 320, but didn't note distance.. damn rookie errors.

Set Kamuela 113.3 at 310 on Nav2.

Just found the "Haleakala Crater" as mentioned by Sen5ei above.

It is the very large crater just east of the observatory on the East Maui mountains. It's easy to find at dawn/night.

I now have collected 146.

Fred.

Cross-posting here:

Just happened to land at Molokai at 4am, and caught a 3000xp 'Sugar Mill', just before the runway.

Couldn't find it on the list.

Any one know?

Cross-posting here:

Just happened to land at Molokai at 4am, and caught a 3000xp 'Sugar Mill', just before the runway.

Couldn't find it on the list.

Any one know?

I think you meant Kahului on Maui. I tried looking around Molokai airport but couldn't find it. I went to find another aerocache and as I was landing at Kahului, the Sugar Mill aerocache popped up in front of runway 2!