Sign in to follow this  
Gibbage

Interesting video on the real-life Icon A5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZWC_2MjExk&feature=player_embedded

For those who like the Icon A5 in Flight, there is a new video out about this facinating aircraft. Its about the spin/stall resistance of the Icon and its very informative! It seems that the Icon guys are doing a great job on making this aircraft a reality. This was truly one of the highlights for me when working on MS Flight. Sadly with all the developments at Icon, the Flight's visual model is no longer accurate. Thats the risk you take when modeling a work in progress! Same thing happened with the SF-50 in FSX (Cirrus Vision).

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Interesting, but then I always thought the icon was interesting. On another forum however, a knowledgeable individual expressed misgivings about the plane ever actually reaching commercial production. Any thoughts on that?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

HeLLo

I didn't like the Icon but now... I'll take a look at it more precisely.

Many thanks for that.

Bye

Interesting video . No good for aerobatics then eh? Such a shame MS never incorporated the folding wings . I hope the Corsair has them.

Interesting to see that the telltails on the outer wing sections showed those sections weren't stalled, which is why I suspect they could maintain roll control. I wonder if it would be possible to get the the stage where the entire wing was stalled.

While it's not my favourite Flight a/c (although it does at least have a cockpit!), if one came along with my name on it (and the ability to fund the running costs) I doubt I'd say no.

Mike

I'll second that, the Icon is a little boring compared to the Stearman, but with more amphibious missions it wouldn't be!

I'd pay for a deluxe upgrade of the Icon with new missions, the IFR pack and updated external model, definately!

I'll second that, the Icon is a little boring compared to the Stearman, but with more amphibious missions it wouldn't be!

I'd pay for a deluxe upgrade of the Icon with new missions, the IFR pack and updated external model, definately!

...and MOOORE power!

Still wondering people, can actually someone confirm/ infirm that the Icon A5 is ACTUALLY on sales and had sold some ?? Is it in production or still in late state of dev. ?

Nice video! I (also) hardly touched the Icon in Flight but I might do some flights with it now... If only it was for the highly needed variation... :wink:

Still wondering people, can actually someone confirm/ infirm that the Icon A5 is ACTUALLY on sales and had sold some ?? Is it in production or still in late state of dev. ?

It's still in dev. Production should start at the end of 2012. You can order one already though: make it quick because some 500 planes have already been ordered: if you order now, you'll get your Icon in 2015. http://www.iconaircraft.com/buy-your-icon.html :wink:

And that among other things is why i want a icon . even my wife had told me that if she ever decides to take some lessons she will wait for a chance to get her hands on the icon . on the other hand a i have a better plan for my 401k money (pilatus pc 12 ,cirrus or corvalis .....

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Those are not real orders, just pre-orders. Plump down your credit card at an airshow, get US$5000 charged, it is fully refundable when production is announced sometime this year, and then people can either confirm their order (US$145000 more), or (after considering the mortgage, the kids' college tuition, the 2 leases on the BMWs, etc.) cancel the pre-order and get a full refund. We shall have to wait and see how it pans out.

I wish them luck and a lot of success, it's just that experience has shown that the overwhelming majority of these projects never finally make it into production. However, this could very well be one of the exceptions. It certainly deserves to exist since it is a great airplane.

The problem with the Flight model, and with all airplanes in flight games, is that there is not the sensation of speed that the real airplane has. Kirk made a video of his first flight in the Icon and we can see that it is really a fun and exciting airplane that does go plenty fast (for what it is) and that gives a lot of thrills.

So, people think that it is underpowered and this is not necessarily so. Also, with more power, it would not be a LSA/Ultralight and then it would really never have any chance on the market.

Best regards.

Luis