Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stratus_Fractus

Question about spins

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Say you go up in your standard training aircraft, a PA28 or C152 etc. Once you're in the spin, would you go inverted if you left it spin?

First of all, the aircraft POH will tell you whether you are allowed to spin an aircraft or not. I believe in a C152, spins are not permitted.Spins are more of a spiral rather than something which causes an aircraft to "flip" inverted.It's caused by one wing being more "stalled" than the other wing. As long as you are in a spin you are stalled. Only after you break the stall can you recover from a spin.Woodreau

I was fortunate that during my private pilot training I had an instructor who thought that spin training was beneficial. I did my training in a C-152 (you don't get in to a 152, you put it on!). At the entry to the spin the nose drops to vertical and you rotate in the direction of rudder application. All the time the stall horn is blaring and the airspeed indicator is pegged at 0. You never really get inverted. To recover, you release the back pressure on the yoke and apply opposite rudder to stop the rotation. Once you are in a wings level dive you gently reapply the back pressure to return to level flight. When you start them at 6000' AGL they're actually kind of fun. :)Mike Bromley

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Thanks for the answersI was just wondering, because in a book called Flight Test notes, it says that after 90* of heading change, the a/c is inverted. I did spins as well, but only to about half a rotation, they were just a little too frightening for me. Does anyone know where I could find a video of an aircraft in a spin? Preferably from the outside and inside if possible.Thanks

I don't know about finding a video online; I'm sure there is one, but i don't know where to look. If you're willing to spend money I would guess there's a video in the Sporty's catalog that would have what you want. (Try the King series of tapes, those are fairly high quality...Jeppeson's not bad either, though they tend to be fairly boring as they're intended to be given as ground school)Also, C152s are certified to spin if you have them in the utility category, which, with two people on board, usually means burning half a tank of gas before you can legally spin them.

The airplane rolls over (and is inverted very briefly) and then spins along the longitudinal axis with the nose pointed down.fyi, if a c152 is spun long enough the engine will shut off from fuel starvation (usually around the 15th spin). the fuel is thrown to the outside by the centrifugal forces and thus the engine becomes starved. bill kershner demonstrates this for all his spin students (he lets the prop stop and then recover).

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Thanks a lot. :)

The "Kings" have a video called "Taming Stalls & Spins". It has external and internal views of stalls & spins. http://www.kingschools.com/productDetail.a...TNV+KSJV028NTSCIf spins are frightening, that's both good and bad ;). Good, to have a healthy respect for an *uncommanded* spin, especially at low altitude. Btw, as you probably should know, you *can't* spin if you don't *stall* first. So stall awareness, and situations that can lead to a stall should be in your training.Also, a 152 or 172 is actually pretty hard to spin, you need some pretty drastic "crossed" control inputs. You should also be very aware of the difference between a spin and a *spiral dive*.As for the *bad* part of spins being frightening. I know, the first couple of times spins were demonstrated to me in a 172, it was very scary. Heck, I remember the first time I experienced a 30deg bank, *that* was scary at the time :)The cure, is to get more practice / training with them. After *you* have recovered the plane from a few spins, you'll see that a spin is just another manouver that the plane is capable of. You might also want to get some aerobatic training, in a Citabria or other aerobatic plane. After I experienced some rolls, and loops, I found that spins were not scary at all ! :)Mike

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Thanks Mike. I think I'll ask my intructor to show me a few more, I've only done a few which might explain my reluctance.Cheers

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Hi, me again. :)What is an approximate rate of turn in a spin? I heard it's something like 270*/sec. I've never measured it, but I'd be curious to know.

you don't need to worry about that...you won't be thinking about it while the manuever is being done.

"You Can't beat an original" :D Status, Like your Quote. That's true you'll be trying to get out of it. 707

"You Can't beat an original" :D Hey Stratus, like your quote, True you'll be concentrating on getting out of the spin. 707_Astrojet

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Thanks 707. :)