In addition to large spinner storage drives I run 2 matching G.Skill 120g SSDs. One has the OS and the other FSX with installed sceneries. Despite not loading most of my FSX addons, I only have 22g of the 120 left.

Here is the question: In the SSD drive properties there is the "Compress this drive to save disk space" option. What will that do insofar as the speed of running FSX, or any other function? Is it a good idea or a bad one?

Kind regards,

In addition to large spinner storage drives I run 2 matching G.Skill 120g SSDs. One has the OS and the other FSX with installed sceneries. Despite not loading most of my FSX addons, I only have 22g of the 120 left.

Here is the question: In the SSD drive properties there is the option to "Compress this drive to save disk space" option. What will that do insofar as the speed of running FSX, or any other function? Is it a good idea or a bad one?

Kind regards,

I'm going to try this as soon as my M4 arrives (should be here by Monday)

Do you have space left in the OS SSD? you could just move some scenery there and edit the scenery.cfg to point to the new location

I compressed my 120G SSD dedicated to FSX and saved about 6.8g, increasing available space from 21.8g to 28.6g. After flying a bit, I can't discern any difference in performance, but now I have a wee bit more room to play with (literally).

Kind regards,

I compressed my 120G SSD dedicated to FSX and saved about 6.8g, increasing available space from 21.8g to 28.6g. After flying a bit, I can't discern any difference in performance, but now I have a wee bit more room to play with (literally).

Kind regards,

Wait, is it a Sandforce based SSD Stephen? If it is you may want to reconsider using NTFS compression because SF controllers rely on data compression for optimal performance.

Too late, all done, and working great, even though it uses a SandForce controller. Don't think it is possible to uncompress anyway.

Kind regards,

Too late, all done, and working great, even though it uses a SandForce controller. Don't think it is possible to uncompress anyway.

Kind regards,

I will try this. Thanks for testing this Stephen! :smile:

Kind regards,

Decompression is possible, you can uncheck the box to compress and it will ask if you want to decompress. Whether or not you should do it is a whole other question though.

The compress/decompress algorithms are VERY elegant -- tight code, fast execution. They should be transparent to read/writes. Typically writes require a little more time what with flushing the registers (remember this is really RAM we're dealing with) than the reads, which usually access memory locations within one machine cycle. What you are really saving is space so go ahead and use it but don't expecrt any performance gains.

Running SRT here with my 60 GB SSD so I don't run into not enough HD space problems. Have you tried giving that a go?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Caching is not possible on a P8P67 board.

With regards to compression of a Sandforce Controller SSD, I wouldn´t do it with a FSX drive, because:

"the problem is NTFS uses 64k chunks (on a 4k file system, which is default). So that means even if one byte in that 64k chunk changes, then you have to do a read-modify-write operation (at the OS level). This is on top of whatever operations the SSD itself is doing."

http://hardforum.com...d.php?t=1685873