Sign in to follow this  
Nane

Radarcontact and FMC

Hello everyone!

About four months ago i bought the PMDG 737-800. Now, four months later, i wish to add one more step of realism combining FSX with Radarcontact. Before buying it though, i want to make sure that it´ll work with the PMDG´s FMC.

Is it possible to combine the FMC with Radarcontact? How do you setup the flight plan? Is it generated from whitin Radarcontact, or can i enter the sids and stars the way I´ve always done it?

Thanks! :)

That's a good question and glad you asked. There is a basic difference in how data is used by Radar Contact and the FMC's of complex aircraft like the PMDG NGX of the Level D 767 which I fly. First Radar Contact uses the default plan type for MSFS which is .pln files. Many complex aircraft use the .rtf file format for the FMC's. Now one might ask how can I get both at the same time. Many programs do that for you. The program I use is FS Build. Once I do a flight plan it will export that flight plan in both .pln format and .rtf formats. Now not only does the FSX terrible flight planner function read my flight plan but also Active Sky for weather, my LD767 fms has the correct plan and Radar Contact is using the same information. FSB makes this such a simple process I never think about it anymore.

To be more direct, Radar Contact uses the .pln file format so it is no different than default FSX. The conversion process is key and like I said, FSB does that for me.

Bob

Hello Bob!

Thanks for your fast answer!

Lets see if i understand this right. When i enter the flight plan in the FMC i can save it to a .rtf file. When i have done this, FSB converts this file into a .pln file. Now Radar Contact can open it and run along side the FMC?

Thank you!

Let's see if I can answer this one.

You plan your route in a flight planner. FS Build, FS Commander, VRoute to name a few.

Then you export your planned route in two formats (I think that the programs that I listed, are able to do this):

1) Default FSX format (.pln)

2) FMC format

You import #1 format into Radar contact. Then you import #2 format to the planes FMC.

I usually only export my route in #1 format and enter the route manually to the FMC.

Hope this helps!

Here is an FSBuild tip sheet (works best with FSB 2.4) that covers some more items in detail. It is similar to what jpuustinen posted with remarks about runwy specific SIDs and STARs and how to handle them dynamically after assigned by RC:

Sections 6 and 11 I recall deals with how to create two plan files in FSB. One is exported to the FMC and a modified one is exported in .pln format for RC.

It points to the non-sticky option in FSB to build from the grid table after your first build before exporting and editing the route grid table before each export to customize each one.

Thanks!

I think i can manage to get this working! The bad thing about this is that i have to buy two addons instead of one :P

Are there someway to convert the files for free? It seems like you can calculate the route for free, but you need to buy FSB in order to export files.

Have a nice day!

Are there someway to convert the files for free? It seems like you can calculate the route for free, but you need to buy FSB in order to export files.

Yes you can do it here http://www.simroutes.../ShowPlans.aspx It is kind of clunky at times though to use but it will work. You can even build your own route using a real world route from flightaware or such. But.... if I were you.... I would get FSBuild and get your FMC updated and FSBuild nav in sync with each other using http://www.navigraph...www/fmsdata.asp The nice thing about Navigraph is that you can get ALL your nav addons and aircraft in sync with each other which will make the whole experience alot less frustrating... believe me!!!!! You will need to buy the min of 100 credits (10 euro or around 14 bucks US $) The FMC data updates cost 20 credits but that 20 credits will cover ALL your addons as you can download as many as you have for the 20 credits. To further that with the left over credits you can get a bunch of charts for your favorite airports.

Jim

Jim Wenham

simroutes relies on contributed flight plans I believe. I tried a few smaller airports and they were not listed.

If you know your waypoints it might work for you.

The leg duration given is based on real world weather and if loading a contributed route I did not see anyway to edit it before export. If you export for FSX or FS9 that will work with Radar Contact but if a runway specific SID or STAR is used without that editing feature you may have problems where RC assigns runways based primarily on ai activity at the highest priority.

This is explained in the .pdf file I attached above.

flightaware.com for getting real world plans must have an FAA airport as departure or destination and may not contain all of the waypoints necessary for international routes.

The OP can certainly start with simroutes for major FAA airports and it does have participation from outside FAA FIR regions (VATSIM) that contribute plans to the database. By using flightaware.com, though, you can get the filed altitude and for if you look at the flight detail there you can get the altitudes along the way. This is needed for those aircraft that may need step climbs where the filed cruise is lower than the intended cruise which is requested later from ATC (real world and RC) as fuel is burned off. Try simroutes search first and then think about an off-line planner as you advance.

Thanks for all the replys!

Since im pretty new addons in fsx ill get FSB and Radarcontanct and hopefully make it work. To start with im happy to get the route and Radarcontact sync with eachother.

I will be back with more questions;)

Thanks again.

Nathan

Be sure after installing RC you update fsuipc and makerwys.exe, then rujn again the scenery database rebuild in RC. The versions in the installer are not current. Here's the links. Be sure to install a full FSUIPC4 (FSX) or FSUIPC3 (FS9) and then the interim update. I also recommend you use the free registry check tool from flight1 .com to check your FS path. For vista or win 7 run the checker by right clicking on it and select run as admin.

If on win 7 you will probably need to download some .dlls and .ocx files no longer included in Windows. See the first pinned topic for that and also the second pinned topic about the blocking from security applictions if those give you grief.

Here's the three links:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

If you have a problem running the RC installer in vista or W7 right click on it and choose run as admin. Once installed set up a shortcut to RC4 and right click on that shortcut and set its property to run as admin.

Hi,

To complete the above informations, maybe you wanna fill the flightplan into the FMC like most airliners pilots do. They do not input each waypoint and airway, but load their presaved flightplan prepared by the airline company. As the departure and arrival runways depend on the weather, SID and STAR are not preselected.

Furthermore, the PMDG 737 NGX after SP1b upgrade doesn't accept SID waypoints in the flightplan when created by an external flight planner.

Here's how I proceed to follow the most realistic procedure :

1/ fsbuild flight plan edited with SID/STAR and runways selected according to the actual weather conditions.

2/ export full flight plan as PLN file (and load in Radar Contact)

- select "export to... FSX/FS2004"

- click BUILD button to make the file

3/ copy the navlog to the notepad/clipboard (while it still includes the SID/STAR

4/ export flight plan without SID/STAR as RTE file (and load in PMDG 737 NGX FMC )

- select the Build/Option top menu then "Exclude SID / STAR"

- unselect "export to... FSX/FS2004 PLN file"

- select "export to... PMDG 737 NGX"

- click BUILD button to make the file

Now you have a complete FS flightplan to make Radar Contact vector you according to the SID/STAR, and you have the FMC flightplan without SID/STAR to allow you select them directly from the FMC. This enables you to select another runway and respective SID/STAR in case of weather evolution.

Sebastien BELLUTEAU

I just bought RC and i am waiting for my registration e-mail. I created the first mail myself which obviously was incredibly stupid.I have now sent to correct email, lets hope this doesnt mess up the registration.

Occasionally there has been a problem with the registration host pc ISP. That should be OK. If the automatic service is working you should have a reply within fifteen to thirty minutes. Be sure jdtllc.com is bypassed in your spam filters. Check your spam folder.

If there is a problem send the e-mail again with the user name and product number but to jd@jdtllc.com and it will be handled manually. That can take a day or longer of on a weekend.

If no reply within a day post here in a separate thread please.

The comment on the PMDG B737NGX is interesting regarding refusing to accept terminal procedure waypoints unless you are referring to the local soft waypoints like D003. I have not had any problem importing the .rte from fsbuild in the FS9 737NG whether partial or complete with terminal procedure waypoints.

The comment on excluding all SID/STAR waypoints from the .rte might work but not from the .pln file sent to RC because it needs to know the waypoints up to 40 nm from destination. That's why I suggested for RC the build option to build from the router grid table in FSB so part of the STAR is in there after you delete the runway specific waypoints and rebuild a .pln with export to the RC .pln file.

AFA real world, many airlines import the route into the FMC via ACARS (private data communications) or other methods and the pilots proof it against their dispatch print out so importing the .rte into the FMC is not unrealistic.

Hello again!

I got the registration e-mail, and yesterday i had my first flight with RC from ESSA to EFHK. I was really suprised with how good it works, but as with all addons there is a learning curve.

My decent was too slow. ATC said something like "I need you at 11.000 under 250 knots". I guess this was for the next sid. When i got there i was slightly to high and slightly to fast - ATC told me i had broken my "patern" and guided me of the original course untill my altitud did meet the requirements. I should say that i decended with v-nav, and i didnt reprogram the FMC when the ATC changed altidudes. (!)

With soem more practice this should be fine:)

That is the ATC crossing restriction. It will be at 11,000 feet or FL110 or 12,000 feet or FL120 depending on your arrival direction. Also be aware that RC uses local transition altitudes. FS atc incorrectly uses 18,000 feet worldwide. You can see the transition altitude used on the RC Controller page for your airports.

If RC commands you to go to a flight level use a standard altimeter of 29.92 in. or 1013 mb. If it commands altitude in feet use local pressure as given by the controller. If you do not follow this you'll probably be at the incorrect altitude as reported to RC.

Please see the RC 43 manual regarding transition levels and transition altitudes.

Do not use the FS 'B' key to set altimeter pressure. It is hard coded in FS to a worldwide transition altitude of 18,000 feet.