Sign in to follow this  
BreezyPointDeparture

Barrel roll and crash

Hey,

So sometimes when I'm flying, as I'm coming into land, the ngx will do an automatic barrel roll and crash. It's not even something the airplane does because the speed at which it rolls isn't even realistic. it seems more like a glitch with FSX or some programming fault.

This has happened to me on all models of the ngx. It is rare but it happens and I want to know if anyone else is experiencing it and if they know why.

This particular time I was coming into VHHX and it actually happened at 8000 feet. It rolled twice and then suddenly it was back on my yoke and I could save it. I thought it was over so I decided to land and then it happened again about 20 feet off the ground and there was nothing I could do. The immediate response on the yoke doesn't do anything. It's ultra weird

Let me know if anyone else has experienced this.

Max

PMDG 747X & 737NGX Pilot

Ensure that you are not going into YAW mode. Check that shortcut key/button.

Also, remove all the YAW-mode button definitions from your joystick(s), and possibly even some of your keyboard YAW-mode keystroke shortcuts.

Incidentally, it is probably NOT a Barrel Roll you are seeing, but a roll centered along the longitudinal axis, like a chicken cooking on the rotisserie.

* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

I had this happen once. About 200' AGL. Never figured it out. Never happened again.

Do you have Active Sky running with "Wake Turbulence" enabled by any chance?

Hey

Orest-- I have no yaw controls assigned anywhere. As for the roll on the axis, thats correct. I just didn't know how else to describe it other than a barrel roll.

Will-- I'm not sure if it's on or off. Im going to guess its on. But I've made landings before right behind other planes and never had any problems. On this approach there were no other planes in front. I will try turning it off though just to test

It sucks how hard it is to test and figure it out.

Max

PMDG 747X & 737NGX Pilot

I had the same problem before. I found, that if I put my sim speed at 1/4, when the NGX entered a turn, it would do an extreme turn, with loads of "Bank Angle" warnings.

Hey Jason

Yea I've experienced that with slowing the sim speed down. I dont think the ngx can fly at a slower sim speed. I think that messes up the plane and it never works properly. I've tired to slow the sim speed to 1/2 and 1/4 before and it jut ends up losing control and crashing.

For this flight though I was just at normal 1x speed.

Thanks

Max

PMDG 747X & 737NGX Pilot

Hi BreezyPointDeparture,

Just to update, I was flying tonight, at normal speed, and guess what - the bank angle problem started up for no reason.

I don't get this behaviour in other planes, only the NGX. If only happens occasionally, so the bug would be hard to reproduce.

Thanks

Hey Jason,

That's nuts it happened to you after you responded to this thread, it may be cursed haha.

It is very rare but super annoying because it happens so close to the ground and kills the entire flight. If it happened at cruise or end 5k we would be able to save it.

I wonder if any dev from PMDG would comment on this or if they have seen this before??

Max

PMDG 747X & 737NGX Pilot

Hi guys. :-) I've also tried this only at 50' above threshold at EKCH. Flew the ILS in hand, and actually recovered and initiated a go-around. Landed safely afterwards. :-) But I can't explain what caused it. :-(

Best regards

Jakob

737 CL/NG skysurfer

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg2zzdi.jpg

I know this problem exactly. Sudden roll just before flare.

PMDG support team FOUND my magnetic heading suddenly turns wrong direction, (ex. 360 to 070, etc)

so NGX tried to follow that heading.

I don't know why, but I'm sure after completely uninstall FSX and clean install, (follow PMDG support page how to)

I've never seen it again.

I strongly recommend clean reinstall FSX. Wish you luck!!

I personally have had this happen a couple of times but only while landing with another aircraft in front nearby.. It was caused by wake turbulence setting in Active Sky.. I turned it off and haven't had an issue since.. I'm not saying that its definitely your issue but you should definitely check.

spacer.png