Sign in to follow this  
steve inwood

Up and down on turns

Not sure if anyone else has noticed. But when i take off and im still retracting the flaps from 5 down. if im making a turn the aircraft is waving up and down. but once the flaps are retracted and i turn it don't not sure if this is something that is being addressed in sp2

Hi Steve, as I understand it, correct protocol is not to operate flaps when in a turn :wink: although I guess that doesn't answer your question...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

If your climbing at 2000FPM at flaps 5, retracting the flaps will give you less lift, causing the plane to pitch up more.(If useing autopilot)Due to less drag from less flaps the aircraft speeds up.This extra speed means less pitch is required to maintain 2000 FPM.Any plane wants to decent in a turn, so a slight pitch up is seen, taking flaps/lift away when it wants to decent anyway, will make it pitch up more, hence the nose going up, and down as speed builds up.

That would be my theory.

Hi Steve, as I understand it, correct protocol is not to operate flaps when in a turn :wink: although I guess that doesn't answer your question...

I don't think there are any restrictions in flap usage while turning. There are some speed restrictions but that's something totally different.

Bert Van Bulck.

Bert, I would not say restrictions, but due to difference in aerodynamic properties of either wing in turn, it might have some funny effects like this.

Bert, I would not say restrictions, but due to difference in aerodynamic properties of either wing in turn, it might have some funny effects like this.

Correct, as the flaps are changed, so does lift and drag accordingly, but also as you enter a turn so speed naturally increases, so the two are in conflict.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Correct, as the flaps are changed, so does lift and drag accordingly, but also as you enter a turn so speed naturally increases, so the two are in conflict.

It's obvious that when changing flap settings, the aerodynamics of the plane changes. That's what the flaps are for.

But to say there are restrictions or conflicts or funny things happen... I don't agree. It makes perfect sense. Pitch for speed, fly the plane.

Bert Van Bulck

It's obvious that when changing flap settings, the aerodynamics of the plane changes. That's what the flaps are for.

But to say there are restrictions or conflicts or funny things happen... I don't agree. It makes perfect sense. Pitch for speed, fly the plane.

Bert Van Bulck

Well, I have to agree with the others on this matter Bert. Yes, its up to the pilot to control the pitch, speed, etc...during the climb out phase, regardless of turning, climbing descending, etc. However, it is common practice from what I hear to complete a turn before retracting flaps. Its not a written rule, but take for example that on your right wing the flaps jam as you are making a left hand turn. This gives you a considerable about of extra lift on the "up side" of the plane and at 20 to 30 degrees of roll, this is not a situation I want to find myself in. Just a thought.

-Dan Burke-

Hi Bert, unsure I suggested that there are restrictions or that funny things happen. I simply wanted to explain that correct procedures, as far as I know, suggest flaps are not initiated while in a turn :wink: BTW, sorry if my previous post sounded like I was stating the obvious. EDIT: There does seem to be some discussion elsewhere on the web regrading this debate. Some will agree with what I understand to be correct flap procedures, while others offer a completely opposite view, even RW pilots seem to have differing opinions.

Howard

No flaps in a turn? Maybe good advice on a C-152. Not so on a plane with asymmetry protection, like the B737.

Matt Cee

No flaps in a turn? Maybe good advice on a C-152. Not so on a plane with asymmetry protection, like the B737.

Sure, I can understand that....

Howard

Well after reading all you guys input im greatful and happy to say now i take off and its brilliant thank you for the input!