Sign in to follow this  
Swe_Richard

Probably a stupid question...

Hello everyone,

I'm about to update my installation of XPX. During the update process the installer notifies me that earth_awy.dat is about to be changed (it says that I for some reason have changed this file myself so it warns me about this before updating). What is happening here? I don't recall changing any file. What I did though was to install ESSA and ESMS a couple of weeks ago. Maybe this is what's causing the message? What to do now? If I give permission to over write will it mess up (and force me to reinstall ESMS/ESSA) or is this message caused by something else entirely?

Thanks for your time!

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

never call your questions stupid ... if you do, over time people will start to believe you.

Richard,

Unless you explicitly opened and edited the file, most likely, the install of ESMS/ESSA is the culprit, but I am only speculating as it is reasonable that custom scenery needs custom airways modified for it....it depends on the nature of the install of the scenery and a few other things. If we take this position, then it is probably best to leave the "old file" and not overwrite when prompted by x-plane. You can always run the updater at any time to get the most current version of earth_awy.dat so if you do see any problems relating to airway routes, a "official" fix is just an update away. That particular file only relates to airway routes and so has no effect on the "look" of the scenery.

Another thing you can do is to look at the ESSA/ESMS packages you obtained...in their "as downloaded" form and see if they included a earth_awy.dat file. If so, then that is where the modification probably came from. If not...then in that case, it'd be fine to overwrite the file with the updater and just chock the anomaly up to "oh well". If you don't use the airway route info at all, then it doesn't matter and your scenery will be fine.

Tom Kyler

Laminar/IXEG

www.ixeg.net

Hi!

Thanks for the input. I have installed the update without changing the files. So far it works like a charm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

never call your questions stupid ... if you do, over time people will start to believe you.

This^^ There are no stupid questions, Only stupid answers. Never be afraid to ask questions, I think that's one of the reasons this forum is here.

Mobo/CPU: MSI Z490-A PRO - Intel Core i7-11700K (8 cores - 16 Threads) @5Ghz (CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S)

GPU: SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5600XT 6Gb GDDR6

RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 3200Mhz CL16

Storage: Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 500Gb & addlink 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0 M.2

PSU: EVGA 750BQ 80+ Bronze 750W