Hey.

I have a couple of questions about overclocking my i5, as I figure now is the best time to do it as I've been using my system for almost 4 months and it's very stable (as in no crashes or anything).

Before I start, I have to mention that my Hyper 212+ is kinda loud... My computer is the loudest in the house. In my BIOS (I have a MSI P67A-G45), it records idle temperatures at 40 Celsius. Is this a good idle temperature? I did apply thermal paste when I built the computer, so I don't think that's the problem. (Unless I didn't put enough, but I put a pea-size dot in the middle of the CPU then attached the fan) Is the BIOS temperature reading accurate?

Now then, I was wondering if anybody had a MSI P67 and could help me overclock my i5. I do not have any past experience with this, so that is why I wanted some quick help. My P67 has the ClickBIOS thing, so yeah.

Thank you in advance!

Idle temps looks OK IMO. I have a 212+ too, with two fans, but I don´t think it´s loud. I use the Asus Fancontrol set to "Intelligent".

The i5 is very easy to overclock, I use Offset Volt, have a look at this guide:

http://rog.asus.com/...PU-Core-Voltage

Thanks Ali, with your Asus thing, what temperatures are you getting? (Idle)

Not sure, I look at the max. temps under load when clocked at 4.7, and it stays around 65 to 69 C, more important IMO!

Edit: Ok, just checked, idle at 35-40 C - using Offset Voltage and Speedstep the CPU downclocks to around 1.6 Ghz

Thanks Ali, I just now saw your reply and edit. Okay, your idle is the same as mine, so that is nothing to worry about.

Now, I will do some further reading and I'll post here again. :Nerd: Thanks!

Edited by linux731

Don't test idle temp in your BIOS. You're not at idle until fully booted into windows. Use something like hardware monitor to monitor idle temps.

Don't test idle temp in your BIOS. You're not at idle until fully booted into windows. Use something like hardware monitor to monitor idle temps.

I didn't, or else they would be at around 35 Celsius. Is it still fine?

Diego,

Thanks a lot for setting up this thread. I've had i5 2500k for half a year now and still did not overclock it (means running it at 3.3 instead of, say, 4.5 GHz).

The reason is I have never done it and I admit to be afraid to do it. I have read many wise words in the net but still rather don't get it enough.

So I will follow this thread with caution and interest, willing to learn and grow up to the decision. :good:

Diego,

Thanks a lot for setting up this thread. I've had i5 2500k for half a year now and still did not overclock it (means running it at 3.3 instead of, say, 4.5 GHz).

The reason is I have never done it and I admit to be afraid to do it. I have read many wise words in the net but still rather don't get it enough.

So I will follow this thread with caution and interest, willing to learn and grow up to the decision. :good:

Yay I'm not alone.

The i5 is very oc friendly. You can usually get a stable 4.3 by just adjusting the multiplier from 33 to 43 and not even touch the voltages. Mines at 4.8 at 1.3 just read the ton of guides available and take it slow. It's daunting at first but really pretty simple once you get going.

The i5 is very oc friendly. You can usually get a stable 4.3 by just adjusting the multiplier from 33 to 43 and not even touch the voltages. Mines at 4.8 at 1.3 just read the ton of guides available and take it slow. It's daunting at first but really pretty simple once you get going.

Hmm, thanks for the advice. You don't have to mess with the Eco stuff, correct?

overclocked to 4.5 ghz 3.125 voltage, 60 degrees on load running prime. 30 idle. Using a 212 evo cooler master heat sink. And oh, running asus p8z68 motherboard with a nice antec case :)

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Okay guys, I'm proud to say...

After doing a lot of research, and digging up a couple of old PMs I've had with Ben Cap, I was able to successfully run a Prime95 test 2 times, first with 3.5GHz, and second with 4.2GHz. My current voltage for 4.2 is 1.305 volts. My temperatures are excellent.

I only have 1 question:

Why does Windows continue to report that I'm at 3.3GHz? My BIOS and CPU-Z say otherwise.

Windows doesn't recognize an oc without doing some modifications don't worry about it. Cpuid is correct.