Sign in to follow this  
DMullert

High altitude graphic issue with XPX

Hello Gang!

After months of tinkering and practicing with XPX, today I decided to try my first FMS based flight from DFW-MIA with a nice flight plan created courtesy of FSBuild. I am using the wonderful XPFW 757 converted to XPX and real weather from X-Plane. Things are going well but I have noticed that ground textures turned very blurry at 37,000 feet. The immediate textures around the aircraft are ok but far in the distance they look blurry. Please take a look at the attached screenshot for reference. Anyone run into this issue before? Is it a setting issue or a bug?

Thanks for any insight.

Dennis

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Been like that for quite a while, can't remember if it was like that when if first came out or not. Anyways, because of this issue it's ga only for me until they "fix" the issue. I have a feeling it's the 25 mile visibility limitation. Put some damn sliders in the graphic or weather settings so we can adjust to our own liking, so frustratiing. Might be ok if you set your own "fake" weather with greater visibility, can't comment, never fly with anything other than real weather.

Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Yes, this is something about X-plane that's Number 1 on my list of things I hate. The 25 mile limit should be an easy thing to fix (especially when 64bit comes out). It seem to remember way back in fs2002 that their detailed terrain went out to 70miles and that was still noticeable. FSX renders terrain all the way out to the horizon.

I'm looking forward to purchasing XPX later on this year. Hopefully i will have the coin saved up to replace my computer coinciding with X-Plane being 64bit capable at the time of purchase.

The way XPX looks graphically at 37000 feet is deplorable. I didn't think it was that bad. The question i ask is, why is it that bad?

Fair Dinkum, i hope this gets sorted out.

Its due to the way XPX draws the clouds. When consumed with clouds, the nearer ones get drawn better than the ones far away so that you don't see how bad the distant clouds are as the near ones obscure the far ones. In those shots, it is a near severe clear day and the nearest clouds are far away and are being drawn as if there are other clouds nearer to obscure their low detail, but there isn't.

Hey Aaron!

Nope. Clouds is not the issue. Is the ground textures. I've already replicated the issue several times today without any clouds and the same thing happens. Hopefully LR will address this in a subsequent release.

Dennis

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Well, the ground textures are another problem, but the clouds in that are also not so good either and to me, draw your attention to the horizon where you see the empty, undetailed textures at a distance with no 3D overlaid and no farmland or variations of the underlying landclass. Its either green or brown and without any 3D world on top, empty as the minds of some people I know.

Jajajaj You got a point! Yes, you're right. Cloud quality is also degraded in the distance - I guess I'm willing to live more with that than the ground issue. Talking about clouds, yesterday on this same flight while approaching te west coast of Florida I ran into some nasty weather that included hail - the weather event was accurately depicted by XPX (which FSX never does even with addons such as REX), but right after passing this area, when going to outside view and looking back at the clouds all you see is a bunch of nice looking clouds instead of the nasty cumulonimbus type tower or anvil related to a nasty thunderhead that I just flew through. That was a downer!!!!!!!!!

Dennis

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

Wasn't there a setting in XP10 which makes the scenery out beyond 25 miles look better and some sort of global scenery issue with the installer which has been fixed which clears this up?

I could be wrong, but I recall there was some sort of issue with the installer a few months ago which prevented the needed scenery elements for views out beyond 25 miles from being installed - thus, even when you have the proper settings selected, it was blurry.

You may wish to see if the needed scenery elements are all there, or perhaps kick a message off to the folks at Laminar Research for support.... I think this is taken care of any you shouldn't have to see soup beyond 25 miles...

-Greg

I remember that post greggerm, indeed I think I was the one that raised the issue. The problem back then was that there was no scenery depicted *at all* beyond 25 miles. I seem to remember a re-install was needed and that sorted it out to the level where we are now seeing the global textures beyond 25 miles, which are too blurry.

Sending e-mails to Austin directly, or at the Bug section of the X-Plane.com website is probably the best way to get this fixed, believe me, they read all trhe messages, I sent one time something I want to get fixed, and they replied a very nice e-mail to me. The more people talking about it, the best chances are they're going to look into it

Alexis Mefano

Hi, I just have to bump this one as I am having the same annoying issue. Does anyone know if this is getting looked at?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Eric says:

June 26, 2012 at 8:13 pm

If you fly past FL20 the ground textures on the horizon start to get really blurry, the higher you go the worst it gets. Is this on your bucket list ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Eric says:

June 26, 2012 at 8:13 pm

If you fly past FL20 the ground textures on the horizon start to get really blurry, the higher you go the worst it gets. Is this on your bucket list ?

Aw, it seems like it's a long way from getting looked at.. Not good. More night flying for me, then..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

There are 2 issues here, the 1st is scenery draw distance over 40km. The way X-Plane handles scenery is the first 40km is high-res local scenery, for scenery beyond that it transitions to low-res scenery located in the Resources/bitmaps/Earth Orbit Textures folder (which comprises of about 740MB worth textures). If I recall correctly Alpilotx (Andres Fabien) mentioned that moving to 64bit would allow X-Plane to handle over 2GB of Earth Orbit textures without crashing the sim. Having high-res textures will improve the quality of the long distance terrain.

The 2nd issue seems to be their 3D art assets (houses and building) transitioning to grassy 2D textures which are not representative of the urbanize areas. Fortunately you can use UrbanMaxx textures to compensate for the lack of urban textures until Ben & Friends find a proper solution (which sadly probably wont happen for a while).